Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Fence around the field

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 02:20 PM
KW_Counter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fence around the field

Has anyone had any radio problems caused by a wire/cyclone fence around the field?
Thanks,
KW_Counter
Old 09-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fence around the field

Some of us here to include me had it happen and only on one of my planes. We have a barb wired fence 100 ft north of the field. Only my Shoestring will give a quick "glitch" when I fly past it.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, it can cause problems. If you happen to be standing close to the fence at a spot where the distance to the fence is a multiple of odd half wavelengths of the frequency your transmitter , the plane can see an area where the reflected wave cancels out the transmitted wave. We had this phenomenom occur at repeated spots on the field. Just moving up next to the fence would eliminate the problem. Note that this would only effect the plane in certain areas where the it would fly through an apparent dead zone and pick up the signal in a very short distance. If you have fail safe on your plane where the throttle is lowered with loss of signal, you could hear the engine change RPM as it flew through the dead zones.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:46 AM
beepee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At one club I belonged to we built our pilot guards of chain link fencing. There was no problem unless you touched your antenna to it. It would bounce your plane a bit, but no one ever completely lost control. Otherwise, the only problems I have seen has been when someone has tried to fly through the fence!

Bedford