Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Moderating a FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 02:31 AM
Lynx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moderating a FAQ

I've been running around the forums here for a few months now and I've noticed there's no central FAQ for the hobby. The same questions come up quiet often in various forums and they're not very useful if the knowledge that's shared in the forum that is truly good isn't logged in some way to cut out the time it takes for a new user or someone looking for something specific to find what they're looking for. Searching the site helps, but it's not good at collating the information and actually coming to conclusions on it. How come there is no FAQ system here so that users can submit these solutions to a moderator for inclusion in a FAQ list and some ability for users to add their input. I'm mainly talking about the myriad thousands of questions and debates about crystal swapping, servo y harness's, the hundreds of users that still don't realize PCM is still FM. The fundamental workings of RC equipment WITHOUT a lot of technical jargon, common questions about what wire thickness to use for a given current.. ad nausea. As far as discussion goes the forums are wonderful, but a central 'fact base' is absent, and I think it detracts from the general usefulness of the site.

One other thing.. Why on earth hasn't words like PCM, Futaba and Hitec etc... been entered into the spell check dictionary here =O Greatness is in the details =>
Old 03-20-2003, 03:32 AM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Moderating a FAQ

Originally posted by Lynx

One other thing.. Why on earth hasn't words like PCM, Futaba and Hitec etc... been entered into the spell check dictionary here

Because, it seems, no one uses the spell check here. Have you read some of the recent posts? Of course not, you can't read them....they're not English! And grammar? Forget it.......

I think a FAQ section would be great to a newcomer with a lot of general questions. I don't think I am that much of an expert on anything to write them though.

Bob
Old 03-20-2003, 09:09 AM
Lynx

Default Moderating a FAQ

No one person should write a FAQ like that, I was thinking more of a collaborative effort where entries could be put in and commented on by any users and the moderator compiled all the information and updated the FAQ. I'm sure even you have a few things to say about some subject in RC that someone else might find useful, I'm not speaking strictly technically, approach helps also => Considering every other line in the FAQ should probably read "Slow down, be patient, don't over react" I've read a few of the 'stupidest thing you've ever done' threads in the Club House forum and learned more from those threads than I think I did from every other expert I've run into =>
Old 03-20-2003, 03:50 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Moderating a FAQ

That is exactly the reason why I started doing my monthly "How To" Column.

So many questions get asked repeatedly, that often I would find myself and others giving a good, detailed answer the first time or two, but then after being asked over and over, the answers were getting shorter and shorter.

In the "How To" Column, I try to pick a topic that has been getting beaten to death lately, and give it a good answer. Then, if and when people ask the question again later, I refer them to the column.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:31 PM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

Default Moderating a FAQ

Using the search will give one the answer to most questions. There is tons of info also on the web at other sites to answer any question that would be asked. One only needs to spend the time to find the answer.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:08 AM
Lynx

Default Moderating a FAQ

In various posts, on the web on other sites, other FAQ's etc.. What's the point, if the information were condensed in a single spot it would be infinitly more useful, to more people. And might help take the edge off of new people coming into the hobby by giving a condensed spot to get critical information that just isn't readily available all in one spot. That's one of the hardest things about this hobby is you have to dedicate so much time to getting the information you need.
Old 03-21-2003, 01:26 AM
Tattoo

Default Moderating a FAQ

Good luck! Build a FAQ. Build an entire web site...it really doesn't matter...the questions will keep on coming. Unless their computers had ESP and automatically opened up to the answer to their questions on your FAQ...they will post the question in the forum long before they will click on a FAQ link. I'm not saying this is bad, it's just the way it is. It's why the forums are here. It's why they have so much traffic. It's normal progression. Nothing makes a person, who has been flying for a year, feel better than helping a newbie just getting started...the same way he was helped a year earlier. Nothing makes an old fart feel better than using his years of experience to help an intermediate pilot set up his first elevons...etc...etc...you get the picture. It's human contact. It's like talking to someone at the field. It knowing someone takes enough interest in you that they are willing to reply...personally, just to you. We feed on it. It makes us feel good. Even if you do make the worlds most comprehensive R/C FAQ known to man...I guarantee that you will still be answering the same questions over and over on the forums...the only thing the FAQ will do is give you something to link to in your reply posts.
Old 03-21-2003, 01:36 AM
Q-Ball
My Feedback: (1)

Default Moderate

AS long as this site don't get messed up,I'm for it but there is a reason that I'm saying this.

I've been coming in here for quiet some time and really like it.Altho' it's kinda slow there are a lot worse places to go. I used to spend some time in rc.air but the place has completely gone to the pot.Nothing but political mess,Iraq,Bush,Boy Scouts.Just tons of off topic mess.A lot of people have left rc.air because of it,so this is a refreshing place to go and not have to scroll thru page after page to get to a message that's o/t..

Make the changes,as long as it don't upset the cart a lot. Many people like this place.