Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Does RCU have a computer virus????

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Does RCU have a computer virus????

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 02:35 AM
mecam
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does RCU have a computer virus????

I'm getting a lot emails from members of RCU with odd ball subjects and no contents. Are you guys receiving weird emails from RCU users??
Old 03-24-2003, 02:44 AM
T28pilot
My Feedback: (2)

That is strange cause i am not receiving any emails at all.....like the email notification isn't working...
Old 03-24-2003, 02:53 AM
mecam

Man, this is crazy. I just received 8 more and two of them from [email protected]. The subjects are Arial, Helvetica and the other says Onmouseover, some say Eager to see you, Congratulations, Pro Class pilots, etc... What is going on?
Old 03-24-2003, 03:36 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mecam,

not RCU...that is the lovely wklez virus on somebody's computer who has that email in their address book...klez spoofs the from email...matter of fact you can be sure the from address is probably the last one who it is actually from. if it is not the klez than it is a new variant...I heard about some new ones today on the radio that were put out with the war.

We are on linux and thus are not susceptible to any of the typical ms email viruses
Old 03-24-2003, 04:23 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

linux is the stuff man, that is very very strange though
Old 03-24-2003, 04:32 AM
mecam

Ok, thanks Marc. Yeah I did a full scan of my drive with the latest Norton definition and it's all good. It does not look harmful because there are no attached files but sure is can be annoying. Damn email viruses are back again!
Old 03-24-2003, 06:01 AM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

T-28 ...
WHY, would anyone send you email...?

Old 03-24-2003, 11:11 AM
RCaeroguy
My Feedback: (4)

Norton's works if you have all of the updates or you can go to www.trendmicro.com and use their free scan. It takes it awhile a first but it works.
Old 03-24-2003, 03:13 PM
mvigod
Banned

I haven't seen any linux virus or bugs in years...it is a small percentage of the market so few hackers bother and they all focus on exploiting Microsoft email products and security holes. I use linux for RCU servers and all my email is done on a Mac which is also unix based and not susceptible to the nasties that can hit the PC platform.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:33 PM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

Originally posted by mecam
Man, this is crazy. I just received 8 more and two of them from [email protected]. The subjects are Arial, Helvetica and the other says Onmouseover, some say Eager to see you, Congratulations, Pro Class pilots, etc... What is going on?
Since the webmaster uses linux and mac, it stands to reason that a Windows virus is not responsible for the email that is being sent with his email address.

Over a period of 3 - 4 months, I got email from some people saying they did not want my junk email, none of which I knew. I got threats from AOL administrators stating that I was sending viruses and that my email was blocked. I got bounced messages for email that I did not send. I did some investigation over a period of a few weeks and found that in every case, the email was actually originating from AOL users with my email as the originating address. I was able to determine this by looking at the headers.

I spent a lot of time contacting AOL and sending the administrators copies of the bounced emails that I got. One evening, I got an email that originated from AOL saying that this guy had a program to sell that would harvest email addresses from newsgroups and web pages. I forwarded this email to the AOL administrators. I immediately removed my email address from my web page and had my ISP change my email address. I no longer post my email address anywhere I no longer get spam.

I would guess that this is how this junk is getting to you and how it is being originated by the webmaster here. It takes some effort but the originating ISP can be determined. On numerous occasions, I have been able to determine the originator of junk email and have forwarded it to the ISP and to the FBI. In most cases, I get a response from the ISP that the culprit has had his account suspended.

The big problem now is that there are a lot of services in the oriental countries who offer blind email service at a minimal fee. These spam generators cannot be stopped at this point. It is safer not to try to contact these ISP's for the simple reason that you take a chance on your email address being added to a new list. The only way to avoid this is to avoid dissemination of your email address.

R/C Flight Unlimited
Old 03-25-2003, 02:10 AM
Lynx

No linux bugs in years?! Dear god what planet do you live on? =) There are hundreds of them. This is where modern day hacking came from... Over the years though it's evolved into script kiddies taking advantage of some stupid obvious hole in MS's software. Linux systems are just as if not more vulnerable than any other type of system, though you're right, it's not as common, and nowadays with truly sophisticated users passing out of existence and 'end users' taking over it's not as much of an issue. Just look up your particular version of any service you run on your linux system and see if you can find any bugs on it. I can almost guarantee you'll find one, maybe even a security one.
Old 03-25-2003, 02:22 AM
mvigod
Banned

Lynx,

Our servers are fully up to date on all packages...we get updated every 90 minutes with new packages that fix known bugs or exploits or our linux system.

What I was saying is that these email virus are 99% on Windows platform...not enough linux boxes to waste time exploiting them when windows has more clients to make a bang on. Hackers might use linux to deliver the exploits but they are usually directed toward MS products.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:12 AM
Lynx

Hackers don't generally cause any damage or create the problem virii and Trojans that are out there. They find the hole in the system that's all. It's all the idiots out there that take those exploits and actually cause damage with them that are the problem. Like the last one that crippled the Internet for close to 6 hours. That bug has been known to exist in MS's SQL software for AGES, no one paid attention to it until someone actually used the exploit to cause the traffic problems, the person that used it didn't find it. It's like grouping someone that expertly crafts some new invention for the problems people create using it.

http://manifestopost.com/famous/mentor.html