Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

What does it take to be sponsored????

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What does it take to be sponsored????

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 12:58 AM
FlyerGirl
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does it take to be sponsored????

What does it take for radio , airplane and engine companies to sponsor a pilot?????

I don't think there are too many women who fly IMAC or Freestyle and it seems like it might be an opportunity?

Any help or answers are appreciated !

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2002, 01:41 AM
Ed Smith

High profile, lots of competition success, lots of magazine articles written about you.

I remember speaking to an individual who had just lost his radio sponsor. He was told he did not get enough "Ink".

Ed S
Old 02-28-2002, 04:56 PM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

Default Sponsership

Hi FlyerGirl, Being a old drag racer who was sponsored, I started out locally finding sponorship. I used a folder with a color picture of my dragster at the local track on the front, inside was my bio and a list of acomplishmounts I had acheved, Next was a list of the compitation for that year that I was secudeled to attend. the sponsers logo had to go on my dragster also, as you are advertising for your sponser. I would display my dragster at there place of bussiness 2 times durning the racing season. Sponsorship is a negoication between you and the sponsor on what they will do for you & what you will do for them, allways a contract in writing so no missunder standings. The first sponsor I secured was fuel for my racer & tow car, for you it probally would be fuel from your lhs & gas money for your car too the event. Sponsorship was obtained usually in Nov or Dec for the comming year as that is when most bussiness make out there advertising budget for the comming year. Good luck in your quest for sponsorship, any questions can be adressed to my email. PS do not get disapointed when turned down as the next one could be a yes, local Pizza shops, gas stations, bars ect. leave no stone unturned as persistance is the key. $250here $500 there do add up.
Old 02-28-2002, 05:15 PM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What the industry would like is for someone to help them to drastically increase their sales of whatever products they carry. Unfortunately it has been shown that even the best RC flier doesn't do much, if anything for the sponser's bottom line.

Great Planes and other industry members doesn't show up for many of the big model shows, which means that they must realize that there isn't much pay back for paying for booths at these shows. For the most part, there simply isn't enough of a market out there to pay for these shows and to pay sponsored pilots much, if anything no matter how good they may be.

BTW, this info is from several industry members who I contacted and is not simply my personal opinion.

Take care,
CCR
http://www.kites.org/rc_instructors
Old 02-28-2002, 05:19 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, there are probably lots of people who can answer this but I will take a stab at it.

I started flying competition pattern in 94, and it was not until I made my first World team in 2001 that I started to get serious sponsorship, it took years of work and constant competition doing well to get my foot in the door. Once you are there it probably is not what you are thinking, right off the bat you dont get many things for free if anything until you are considered the elite of what you do (I placed 30th of 104 in the world and I am not elite by a long shot!!!). Most of what you get are distributor prices or maybe a little better, say 50-60% off list price (not retail). Like Ed said you need to be high profile, people need to see you and you need to make yourself seen, that means attending large events like Nats, or international competitions. You need to have the right attitude, remember you are selling your sponsor, so you have to present the appropriate image for them. It really is a case of paying your dues!!

I suggest that if you have never competed in a large event (US Nats for instance) then go. Most of the promo reps are there to talk to and at the same time you can show them what you got, or you will learn a lot in the process Either way that is the first step. Approach them with ammunition (what you have done) or they likely wont even look at you.
Old 03-01-2002, 01:16 AM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Default Sponsor

Hi Flyergirl,

I have to agree with Taildragger. I have had people offer their support to sponsor me if I ever wanted to get into serious scale competition for Top Gun and the Scale Masters. They have also explained how to ask for financial support. Negotiable and small favors returned. For instance, you ask for $250 from them and you spend $30 to have a sign made for display while your at the show for your sponsor. Don't be affraid to ask them, you will be surprised how many will be willing to help. Advertisement for them and a tax deduction to boot. This can get you started this way and with your great performance can attract the others you are looking for. I've kinda had the same ideas with my daughters for team scale, dad being the builder and the girls being the flyergirl! AAAAHHHHH, just a dream! Good luck!