Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Monokote Instructional Video

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Monokote Instructional Video

Old 10-08-2007, 10:32 AM
Fishin Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote Instructional Video

Hi All
I'm new here and new to the model airplane game. Just getting started with an old SIG Kadet Mark II kit and expecting to use Monokote. Does anyone know where I can buy the Instructional video from Topflite? No great hobby shops in my immediate area.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:43 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Monokote Instructional Video

Why buy when there is guides available for free?

RCU member MinnFlyer has done some great how-to articles and videos on covering. check them out as they will go a long way to getting you started.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=67] Minnflyer Covering how-to [/link]

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=726] Minnflyer, Another Look at Covering[/link]

I've also done a build thread on a LT-40 where I talk alot about how to cover with Monokote. It should help you too.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3439708/tm.htm]Pay It Forward build thread!! LT-40 build.[/link]

Ken
Old 10-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Fishin Geezer

Thanks very much, Ken. Again, I am totally new to this world and there is so much to learn. I'll check out those links. Free is usually preferred over purchase, expecially when there are so many other items to buy when getting started!!
Frank
Old 10-13-2007, 11:10 AM
Fishin Geezer

Hello again, Ken
I read thru your "Pay It Forward" thread (thru Page 39, anyway). What an awesome job of work!! An unbelievable contribution to the success rate of us beginners, and to the pros to, I expect. Thank you for all that work.
Some advice, please. I'm about ready to join the wings of my 20 year old SIG Kadet Mark II kit. Back then he had us cover the top center section and leave the bottom center section open on each wing. That means I don't have access to those two center ribs for clamping. He just said make it a "wet" epoxy joint so it would fill any gaps. No provisions for applying any pressure to that supercritical joint!

Have you any clever ideas for me on how I might apply enough pressure to those ribs to assure a strong joint? He didn't use a dihedral tip gage, just blocked a wing up so the last rib was 4" off the table. If it were possible to translate that 4" to an appropriate measurement at the center, maybe I could turn the wings upside down, block it up, then clamp the exposed center ribs. I need a refresher course in geometry!!

Also, is there still no spray can paint available that will fuel-proof the engine and tank compartments?

I'll much appreciate any help.

Frank
Old 10-16-2007, 02:12 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Monocote video is a waste of money! Period!
If you want to take $10.00 and throw it away, the video is a good way to do it. I bought one of these and realized what a total waste of money it was.
The above mentioned thread is alot more useful to the beginner and if you're looking for more advanced techniques, check out Faye Stilley or one of Harry Higley's books "Tom's Techniques", another excellent book on film covering.
Good luck with your new plane and remember it's all about having fun.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:48 PM
Fishin Geezer

Thanks for the advice, JR. Actually, one of the RCU members sent a free copy to me. Interesting to a total beginner but probably not any better than the free stuff on RCU.
I'll look into those books you referenced.

Frank
Old 10-22-2007, 11:25 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

my friend dave deoan has a p-51 featured in the cover of the vid pretty cool
Old 05-12-2009, 08:06 PM
tiger90

I got mine at a swap meet, only place I ever saw one