Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Rubber Bands?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 08:25 PM
twostroke
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rubber Bands?

Where can I find a place to get different size rubber bands?
Old 03-28-2003, 08:50 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rubber Bands?

Office supply store, Office city and such. Maybe target, walmart. Depends on what you are looking for. Office supply has the best selection.
Old 03-28-2003, 09:43 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rubber Bands?

Staples, or Office Max
Old 03-29-2003, 03:20 AM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubber Bands?

The best are Sigs.
Old 04-04-2003, 05:41 AM
Grampaw

Default Rubber Bands?

Hey Two Stroke...
A suggestion for adding a little more life to those rubber bands. Get a small plastic jar with a screw-on lid, or a Zip Loc bag, and a small sack of Kitty Litter. Fill the jar or Zip Loc half full with the Kitty Litter. After each flying session dump those fuel soaked rubber bands in the Kitty Litter container and close it up. Shake well then stash it away for the next session. Before putting them on for the next flight stretch each band and inspect it for "stretching." If you see signs of the band fraying or having some separations, dump it and reach for a new one. The fuel residue eats up the bands, but the Kitty Litter soaks it up and dries out the bands. You can get several flights with this procedure. Worked well for us back in the good old days. Good flying.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:12 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Default Rubber Bands?

I go with SIG also , the office supply people never seem to have the larger sizes. >>>>>>>>>>big max 1935>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 04-04-2003, 11:22 PM
xlr82v2
My Feedback: (1)

Default Or, instead of Kitty Litter,

you can use Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate). It does a wonderful job of taking the oil out of the rubber bands.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:06 AM
spooner

Default Rubber Bands?

WELL I USE GOLDBOND MEDICATED POWDER.. I THINK IT HELPS HEAL THOSE LITTLE NICKS IN THE RUBBER BANDS..LOL.. BUT IT WORKS WELL.....
Old 04-05-2003, 03:30 AM
Spicoli

Default Rubber Bands?

We buy them from the office supply stores.I don't mess with cleaning them.They are so cheap I just throw them away.
Old 04-05-2003, 07:11 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Default Rubber Bands?

I bought the right size from an office supply and then my trainer started doing loops all on its own when speeding up. Hell of a way to learn!
Turned out the #64 from the office supply were nowhere near as tight as the SIG and the wing was lifting off the fuse a bit. Instructor didn't believe it and had to experience it for himself, at the time. Speed up angle changed, do loop! I now use SIG exclusively. Thank you very much!
Old 04-06-2003, 04:58 AM
Grampaw

Default Rubber Bands?

It has been said that "a rose is a rose," but a rubber band definately IS NOT a rubber band. You have to be careful when buying them to be sure you get a quality band. I don't use them any longer, but I only bought Sig's. They sold good dependable bands, and still do. So I will echo 4*60s advice, use Sig's and save yourself a lot of problems.
About the stress on some bands affecting flight performance, it happens. The model is pulling a few extra G's and all of a sudden it does "funny!" I had it happen to me when the bands were stretching allowing the wing leading edge to lift. Crazy! I kept them for household use only, and went to bolts from then on. Good flying.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:17 AM
n553302

Default Rubber Bands?

Alliance rubber band company, they have a .com and I'm not positive of the spelling.
Old 04-06-2003, 07:20 AM
Eaglewatch

Default Rubber Bands?

Rubber Band Safety Tips:

In addition to visually quick-checking and pulling on each band before installing it, it's not a bad idea to do a "pull-up test" once you have put the wing on your plane.

Just grab the wing's leading edges near the fuselage sides, hold the fuse (at the rubber band's dowel rods is OK), and pull the wing up (assuming you have a high-wing type plane). If it pulls away easily, or shows a gap of more than about one inch when pulled, I would either toss the bands (if used), or add a few more. Generally, about ten to twelve bands works well on most trainers, but the pull test will reveal if you need more bands. Repeat the test any time you suspect a problem with deteriorating bands (especially used bands and/or on hot days), or if you notice unusual changes in the flight performance, especially with rapid elevator "up" inputs. Sometimes, you will hear a wing "snap back" against the fuselage. This could be your last warning before separation of wing and fuselage: land and check the bands immediately.

Rubber bands will deteriorate not only with age, and model fuel, but when stretched tight out in the sunlight. Sometimes you will see broken bands on a plane even before it has been flown. But if you see more than one or two broken, it's time to replace all of them. Keeping a cloth or towel tossed over the plane while shutdown helps reduce UV exposure of the bands, and keeps the radio gear a bit cooler as well.

The lifting load applied to the wing can be quite strong, and it's awful to lose a plane for a few cents worth of rubber bands. Keep an eye on the bands to insure a safe return to Mother Earth.

Regards,

Al Parry
[email protected]