Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Airbrush or Spray Cans?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 07:39 PM
jack01
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbrush or Spray Cans?

It depends on what you are doing. The jet guy in my club can make an airplane look EXACTLY like the real thing with some spray paint, and a toothbrush. If you have to add something like nose art, then you need an airbrush.

A good airbrush set to start with is a Testors set. It's small, and about 20 bucks. It comes with a can of comressed something or other, the gun, some paint, and a little paint rack. For what I do, it's perfect. Get some little Revell plastic models and practice on them first. It is accurate enough that you could do some details on a plane quite easily.
Old 09-10-2002, 07:55 PM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

Default Touch-Up Sprayer

I have used an airbrush for several projects, both large and small, with mixed results. It is next to impossible to beat a good airbrush for small projects or detail work. A touch-up sprayer is far superior for larger jobs such as an average airplane. I bought mine at Wal-Mart for about $20 and already had a compressor. This is one of my better investments in the hobby.

Howard
Old 09-12-2002, 07:45 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Default Airbrush or Spray Cans?

yeah, It does depend on what you're doing, and the level of detail required.

Spray cans are quick and easy, but you are limited to the color in the can (you can get custom mixed colors, PPG paints, but they don't sit around for too long, and can cost a mint ($20 CAN locally). And the spray-jet is a pretty constant rate. Then clogged nozzles, etc...

But there are tricks to getting just the coverage/effect you want..

An Airbrush allows for finer spray, a finer line, and an adjustable airflow. All these factors are adjustable by you, the user. But, it does take a bit of an investment, and does take practice.

I can go into detail about the types out there, but a 'single action' should be good enough!

A side note with an airbrush, you can 'practice' by making T shirts for your clubmates!

In my opinion, go get one... You'll find many uses for it!

Badger brand airbrushes supply an fitting/attachement to use the air pressure from a tire! No comptressor needed, just a local gas station!