Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 10:56 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avatars in the new RCU

Forgive me if i got the wrong end of the stick, but in the discussion about how to fund RCU, the hybrid option which i believe Marc would choose meant members who didn't upgrade would loose certain things ( i forget which features ) personally I'm for keeping avatars ( note my current avatar ), these are only tiny files that even if everyone had one cant take much space, and just like real life its far easier to remember someones face rather than a name.
I've just seen a option taken a by another site ( shame RCU doesn't have boats in a main section and attracts so little traffic on it, wonder which causes which effect)
basically.......
This was taken from the site

Avatars are small graphical images that you may choose in your profile. They are displayed below your username on all posts that you make. You can select the image that best describes yourself from your profile options.

Here's the list of currently available avatars:

If you have more than 50 posts, you may also specify your own custom avatar.

Because i only have a handful of posts i don't have any avatar options showing yet, let alone able to make a custom one, but this may be an idea here to allow avatars for the main contributors without the upgrade package.
Old 04-02-2003, 02:32 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, but there has to be some incentive to paying (a proposal which is still only that, a proposal). The paying members would get more perks than non paying members. Avatars would be one of the perks.
Old 04-02-2003, 02:59 PM
Cactus.

Yep, i get that, i just see avatars as more than just a pic under someones name, its an identity, i'd recognize that plane on fire of yours anywhere, and I'm sure my little devil annoys lots of people
maybe there could be different levels, and you get different perks. But i still believe avatars are such small files and so handy they should be for the masses, or like the other forum, for users who are active, not just the odd question asker, but for those of us who try and offer help as well.
Old 04-02-2003, 03:51 PM
torque_roll

Originally posted by phillybaby
i just see avatars as more than just a pic under someones name, its an identity, i'd recognize that plane on fire of yours anywhere, and I'm sure my little devil annoys lots of people
LOL philly! I totally agree with you on the avatars being a part of a person's identity. I can recognize someone just by seeing their avatar. Unfortunately though, I don't have an avatar. I haven't come up with a good one to have yet.

Patrick
Old 04-02-2003, 03:53 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I actually like your little red devil, but I can see what marc is doing. Keeping the site going is costly. We all like it and use it, but if donations are not enough to keep it going, I can't see having a fee and then letting people use it that don't want to pay. Very few would and the problems would be the same.

On the other hand, I can see that some don't want to pay it. It is a tough situation. Hard to please everyone, but why should Mark carry the expence it takes to keep a great site running and updated if it doesn't pay. He spends a ton of time and resources keeping it going.

I make donations, so a yearly fee would be cheaper, but it really doesn't matter. I spend a lot of time on it when I am not flying full scale during the day. If I am stuck in the office, it is nice to hang on the site and help people. I think a lot of people get enough from it that it would be worth the subscription.

just my 2 cents.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:29 PM
Cactus.

When Marc launched the thread about the options i actually voted for the hybrid option because if it was to remain free but with more adverts people would eventually get annoyed, accuse Marc of taking money for good reviews/clearing bashing threads ect and RCU would go the way of RCO.
If it was pay only, no one would join because why would you join a site and pay just to ask a question? when i first came here i just asked one question and that was it for a while until i found i knew some of the answers to what people asked. now i try to be as helpful as i can. I would have clicked away if there was any hint of having to pay.
With the hybrid option we now have a large user base so asking existing members to pay should be ok ( as long as you think they wont be a them and us problem (( of course there will )) i wont pay just to keep those fancy things, and I'm sure a few members might resent us "high use" users not "supporting" the site )
And the average guy can still ask where his CofG is because he's built the plane but cant find it in the box, as long as he realizes he doesn't need to pay.
I don't mind loosing most features for a free subscription

If i loose PM i'll live, i'll just add a question to a thread the user is in, normally i'm there too, but things like sending address will become public, also stuff the other guy might not want everyone to know.

If i loose the ability to add pics to my replies as long as the add image IN the message is there i'll host off site and link, could lead to problems with large pics ( had experience of that already, 2MB pics on one thread the other day ) however it's always handy to show a quick shot of how to fix sommit and the current method works great for that

If my avatar gos, well, i feel faceless, and lots of people go on about hiding under nicknames and such. i keep the same name and avatar in as many places as i can so i'm known and recognized so people can find me, they can also avoid me, but thats fine

I don't mind loosing my gallery, i emptied most of it now because it didn't get much response and just took up server space.

I just want to add i have nothing against Marcs decision, i fully agree with it, i don't expect him to break even, or even make a loss, i think he should be able to count this as his main income and live on it, he puts so much effort and time into this site making it the best he deserves to benefit from it.

I just wanna keep avatars for the great unwashed
Old 04-02-2003, 05:40 PM
Frankenthumb
My Feedback: (2)

I am not willing to pay to use RCU. That's just how it is.

If I am treated like a second class citizen when I come here I will not be willing to come back. My (and I suspect most peoples) interest in this site is to help and be helped. Inevitably when I come here to ask a question as a "non-paying-user", the upper class "paying-users" will tend to ignore my question because it came from a freeloader. It's human nature.

Now, I'm no businessman, but I think that if the site is becoming a financial burden they need to look at where the money is going, and where it went before when it wasn't a financial burden. Many businesses have gone under because they grew too fast and refused to shrink when it became necessary.

If they are trying to increase profits: more power to them. Driving away customers is probably not the best way to do it though.

Frank
Old 04-02-2003, 06:38 PM
FLYBOY

I understand what you are saying. I guess I don't understand not wanting to support a site that helps you and others in a lot of ways. I guess in the long run, it is no different than me not wanting to support the muncie site by paying AMA. Unfortuanatley, I don't have a choice there. You do on the site because you don't have to quit flying at your field or competeing if you dont use RCU.

I hope he makes the right decision. RCU is a great benifit to everyone involved. I don't think the advertising is too much here, but I don't know if it supports the site enough.

I agree with Philly that you do get to know someone by avitars. They are great for that till someone steals it and starts using it. That doesn't seem to happen all that often so it is not a huge deal.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:09 PM
Frankenthumb

I don't have any problem with the advertizing either. I don't look at the reviews anyway, so for me it doesn't matter if they are biased.

It's not that I don't want to support RCU, and you saying that is not an argument, its a label. Labels are not useful in this discussion. If you are telling me to pay or go away: fine. Let that stand as the first example of the eliteist attitude that will permiate this site when there are 2 classes of user.

I support this site by contributing my opinions and experiences. I tell my fellow fliers about it whenever I can, and I gather as much information as possible from the other users here. If RCU tries to make me pay to do that, I'll find somewhere else to do it for free. This may be the fanciest RC related discussion site out there, but it's not the only one, and for what I use it for it may not even be the best one.

This whole thing is quickly headed the way of every good message board that I have used. It is reaching max density and will soon explode. Pitty.

Frank
Old 04-02-2003, 07:34 PM
MinnFlyer

Where the money is going is to pay the host for hosting the site. RCU has grown so much in the last year that it had to go on to a larger server (Remember how slow it was getting?) The larger server is much faster which makes us all happy. The larger server costs more money, and when we're asked to kick in, people complain. I for one have a contribution check ready for Marc when I see him in Toledo.

I pay $58 per year for AMA dues. What I get out of RCU is worth WAY more than that to me.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:54 PM
FLYBOY

Originally posted by Frankenthumb

If you are telling me to pay or go away: fine. Let that stand as the first example of the eliteist attitude that will permiate this site when there are 2 classes of user.

Sorry if it came across that way. That isn't what I was saying. I think everyone should be here and welcome all. I don't have the pay or go away attitude and didn't realize I made it come across that way.

I was just trying to help explain why I feel it would be benificial to have a subscription price. Wasn't saying it to anyone in particular, just saying it on the board.

Thats the bad part of a keyboard. It doesn't show expression or emotion and it is easy to write something and have it taken the wrong way. Just saw another one of those missunderstandings the other day.

I also don't think a 2 class user is the way to go either. It needs to be done the same for everyone what ever is done. Just my opinion.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:47 PM
Cactus.

FLYBOY:
Is that why your avatar has the little copyright?
I have seen a site where the avatar is hosted by another site and linked to, the problem with that was it wasn't personal, so the users swapped avatars more often than socks and didn't express anything about that person.
How many of these little pics show the user with a fave plane, or just show what kinda flying they like.
I just wrote allot more about the site and stuff, but realized i was getting off topic, this isn't about the class war that may or may not happen, it isn't about Marc being paid for his efforts ( which he should, on top of server costs ), it's not about the adverts, which i don't mind, but are mostly useless for a non US user.

I would simply like to see the personal and useful avatars stay.
Lets not start shouting about what hasn't happened yet.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:26 PM
robert

One more point....Do you know how big a pain in the ***** it is to get money from here to the US? I don't have access to the gaurdians card anymore (even if I pay) so the only way to get my money to him would be through a bank draft or something, which will double the cost. I am also already in big debt cause of my new bird. (Plane that is!)
I really love all the features of this site, and I would die without my PM box, but the hassle and expense of bringing my money to school, coming home early, getting a draft/ account transfer, and sending it. The stupid banks close at 3 all days except mondays, which is at 4:00PM, which is the only day I even have a chance of getting in.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:34 PM
robert

On re-reading my post, I left something out. I do support Mark in his quest to finance the site, it needs to be done, and he has absolutely no need to fork out a single cent to pay for it.
I am just showing that RCU has grown so much, that it has to try to cater for all members. Some people say, if you can afford a $400 engine and fancy 8411's, then why do you complain at a small subscription fee. The fact is, that I can't, and I am sure that alot of other members are in the same hole. I am working working working to pay off my latest, and I have to pay ins. and club fees now, and I need more feul, plus a few maintanence items. it all tallies up...
Be careful in your decision Mark, RCO's dust still hangs in the air.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:09 PM
MinnFlyer

Our (mine and FLYBOY's) Avatars are copyrighted because they were both created by me, for us and us alone, and we have had problems with others "Borrowing" them.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:11 PM
Frankenthumb

I've said this before, but the argument that goes "Well, you pay for other stuff, so you might as well pay for this too" is laughable.

I'd rather see fewer features and free than fancy graphics and reviews that I have to pay for.

I hope a soulution can be found, and it puts millions of dollars in Marks pocket. I'm just not going to put it there.

Frank
Old 04-02-2003, 10:14 PM
FLYBOY

Philly, the little copyright is because people kept copiing it and like you say, it is my ID and I prefer not to have every have the same one so people know who it is when I post. Don't want someone else posting and having someone think it was me. Saves on confusion.

That and a friend made it for me. Pretty cool I though.

Like you say, a face is easier to remember than a name.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:15 AM
R X R WOLF

wow! Well, seeing how you guys are on the topic!
I'm trying to figure out how to put an avitar on mine right now!
I've got a pic i'd like to use but i'm having difficulty figuring out how to downsize it to the 85 x 85 pixel maximum. I'd greatly appreciate any info on how to do this!

P.s. I'm rather new to RCU & haven't seen anything on paid memberships. After reading some of the previous comments, does that mean i'm a second (or less) class member here & that i shouldn't expect a reply to my questions in this organization? If so, that explains why i never rec'd any replies to a help question i posted in "Large scale" & "Vintage"!!!

MY VOTE (if it counts!): KEEP AVITARS - especially if i figure out
how to place one!
Old 04-06-2003, 07:52 AM
Cactus.

If you have the animation part of photoshop it'll shrink it in there down to what ever size you want, tho i know i had trouble with the avatar i picked for my GF, ends up hers cant animate.
if its just a pic then shrink it using any resize feature on your program.
RCU isn't a pay site yet, there was a large thread in the club house about it last month. i don't think Marc would just go with that right away before hes checked it all out and found the best way to do things for the members.
No ones second class yet, tho some members can make you feel that way. I dunno about the traffic in those forums, but you might wanna try the question in a more viewed area.
Talking of second class... i noticed RCGroups has a whole area for the "upgraded" members. thats something i never want to see on RCU because it just stinks of the upper and lower classes.
I didn't think to have a vote, tho i guess no one would vote against having avatars for the unpaid up members.. would they?
Old 04-07-2003, 02:02 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not to worry folks...any model that is ever introduced will appeal to 99% of the users here. I believe there are creative solutions to everything where everyone can win and benefit. Make no mistake that such a solution will be found.

Avatars and PM's would stay so not to worry. I am working on several scenarios based on user feedback from the last thread on this whole topic of hyrbrid and such. The site content and most of the major goodies would remain available to registered members just as they are now. The photo gallery likely will be an add on. Posting a classified might have a small insertion fee to cover costs.

I don't want this to be a runaway thread with people panicking that they won't have access to all the information here or the ability to give answers without paying to do so. That will not be the case. As evidenced by what RCU is today I have a good handle on what users want and need. I ask and listen. There was a lot of feedback on my other thread on this entire issue and there is a highly workable hybrid model. Just about every issue would be addressed so the free flow of information would continue along as it always has and the members, vendors and me would all benefit in a win-win-win.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:15 PM
Cactus.

Everybodys happy and gets what they want, it dosnt happen often in this world, congratulations Marc.
Thanks for viewing and putting this to rest.
YAY! i can change my Avatar back
Old 04-11-2003, 09:06 PM
R X R WOLF

WOW !THANKS MIKE B !!!
Well, with some GREATLY APRECIATED HELP (thanks again, Mike!)
I have my favorite old plane as my avitar !!! Thanks also to all of you for talking about it enough to re-interest me in trying again!
Blessings!