Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Nexstar at Target.. Don't get burned by the price.

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Nexstar at Target.. Don't get burned by the price.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 01:05 AM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nexstar at Target.. Don't get burned by the price.

I was surprised to see this listed at target. Just a small markup on these items.

http://www.target.com/Hobbico-Nexsta...hobbico&page=1

On;y $699 folks..

Same plane from Tower is $369
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXEXK2**&P=0

How about the electric Cessna 182 for $225
http://www.target.com/Hobbico-Cessna...hobbico&page=1

$154 at tower..
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXNHS0**&P=0

Or the Miss Vegas Hydro is a steal at $499
http://www.target.com/Aquacraft-Vega...hobbico&page=1

Opps Sorry.. it's $275 at tower
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXMUN8**&P=ML
Old 11-24-2007, 02:46 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nexstar at Target.. Don't get burned by the price.

Price whoring at it's best. It's so pathetic.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:34 AM
JustErik

I wonder if they are going to start selling fuel and accessories?
Old 11-24-2007, 10:01 AM
seemefly_1

that would be great i live next to a target
Old 11-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The old adage of "Let the buyer beware" applies with every product or service anywhere you go. There will be many that thought they got a good deal at Target, there will me many that find out later they did not after all. No reason to cry for those that fail to look out for themselves. I know I won't.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:09 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

Didn't target get into it with one or some of the Veteran's organizations a few years ago at Christmas time? Are they not also foreign owned? We buy for eight Grandkids and that is one of the places that do not get any of my money!
Fred
Old 11-24-2007, 05:04 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Deadeye

So true; just an example of what instant gratification has done to the consumer. The ad will get seen by some kid, he says "I want Santa to bring me one", Mom and Dad aren't familiar with anything to do with r/c, get one for Junior at twice what they should pay, and then can't get parts or fuel because they don't know where else to go. The thing gets broke the first time out, Junior says "This is too hard to do, I want a _________ "(fill in blank)and the plane gets stuffed in the corner of the garage or attic and forgotten.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:08 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Kodges: Thats't the pouint. They spend $$ on something, to have the acceptee loose interests, and then return to the store for that something else.. They win.. twice!

My biggest worry, is that buying said plane / kit from Target (or other) is taht they think it's self containted. they get teh plane, play with the simulator, then take it down to teh local partk (or off their street!!) Try to fly, and crash.

Pretty much like what's happening with them park flyers & other 'little' R.C planes... It's now a toy.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:47 PM
sscherin

Well with what they give you ya can't crash..
No fuel, no glow driver.. no flying without a visit to the LHS first..
Or a visit to tower (I'm sure there's a sales flier in the box somewhere.
When they hit tower and see the plane for 1/2 price I'm sure the thing will go straight back to target.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:12 AM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

And you guys thought Tower was part of the Evil Empire..................
Old 12-01-2007, 10:34 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Sorry but it's not price whoring. It's Towers fault for not requiring a MSRP. I'm sure Tower isn't happy about it, but the only thing they can do about it now is not sell them any more product until they contract their set MSRP. I think it's a smart move for Target, this kind of thing is done all the time with companies with good products but weak marketing strategies. I don't see tower trying to market to a broad audience, they seem to keep things in the family and only work people whom have shopped with them. How many people outside of the hobby even heard of Tower Hobbies or any RC based company for that matter.

Sorry but Target is a business and like most businesses set their prices on supply and demand, not on feelings. Last time I checked I've never seen a plane like this in ANY high end retail channel. More power to them. But again, it's Tower's fault, this is basic retail information.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

Sorry but it's not price whoring. It's Towers fault for not requiring a MSRP. I'm sure Tower isn't happy about it, but the only thing they can do about it now is not sell them any more product until they contract their set MSRP. I think it's a smart move for Target, this kind of thing is done all the time with companies with good products but weak marketing strategies. I don't see tower trying to market to a broad audience, they seem to keep things in the family and only work people whom have shopped with them. How many people outside of the hobby even heard of Tower Hobbies or any RC based company for that matter.

Sorry but Target is a business and like most businesses set their prices on supply and demand, not on feelings. Last time I checked I've never seen a plane like this in ANY high end retail channel. More power to them. But again, it's Tower's fault, this is basic retail information.
I must be stupid - I've read this three times and still don't get your point. Is there a point?
Old 12-01-2007, 01:22 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Why should Great Planes care what they sell it for. They have their money. Tower sells them for what they want. I can sell it for what I want. I just fell bad for the parent that does get one a Target then comes here and finds out what my price is. Dennis
Old 12-01-2007, 02:01 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, if you use the link posted above, the Nexstar is shown "out of stock". If you search "all radio control" at, http://www.target.com/Radio-Control-...node=197608011
it is not even listed. They must not sell it anymore.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:20 PM
seemefly_1

probebly because someone got hurt
Old 12-01-2007, 05:15 PM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: Teachu2

I must be stupid - I've read this three times and still don't get your point. Is there a point?
Yeah, it's not price whoring. It's called making profit for a pubically held company. In retail markets you price items for what you can get, not what you think you can get.

BTW how much do you think Great Planes pays for say .... a UNCANDO from their factory in China. Try to guess. Let's just say their markup is MUCH higher from a percentage standpoint then Target is making from those Nexstars.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:20 PM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

Why should Great Planes care what they sell it for. They have their money. Tower sells them for what they want. I can sell it for what I want. I just fell bad for the parent that does get one a Target then comes here and finds out what my price is. Dennis
If you own a hobby shop you can only get what other hobby shops are selling them for. If you sell your plane on RCU, you can only price them for what others have sold them for. If you own a Target you can sell them for what other retail channels at their level are selling them for. And when telling RCU members not to buy these planes at this price, you are preaching to the choir. The people that are out buying them at that price will never see this thread.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:12 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you think Target or Tower pulled the product off the market because of our comments on this forum------------------right!!!!!!!!
Old 12-01-2007, 11:05 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

If you own a hobby shop you can only get what other hobby shops are selling them for. If you sell your plane on RCU, you can only price them for what others have sold them for. If you own a Target you can sell them for what other retail channels at their level are selling them for. And when telling RCU members not to buy these planes at this price, you are preaching to the choir. The people that are out buying them at that price will never see this thread.
That is incorrect. You can sell for whatever price you want too. The only restrictions they have is a minimum advertised price (MAP). Thats why many shops list "Call for price", in thier ads. They sell for less than MAP, but cannnot advertise that price. Some internet shops don't have prices listed, until you put the item in a cart, then the reduced price shows up.
Preventing someone from selling at a reduced price is called "price fixing" and is illegal in the US.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:40 PM
STLPilot

Preventing someone from selling at a reduced price is called "price fixing" and is illegal in the US.
Of course that is illegal. You can never tell anyone they can sell less then they want. But if you do want to prevent them from doing that, you just cut their supply chain.

But if 2 parties agree to a maximum price and as long as the supplier is not receiving additional profits, it's not illegal. The other way to prevent your retailer from selling your product at a price higher then you want them too, is also to cut their supply off. That's the most common tactic.

And in regards to saying what you can sell your product for, I meant by the market bearing, not by the law. You can sell a Nexstar for $1000 right here on RCU, but you won't get it.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:36 PM
sfsjkid

Maybe Target is not the discount place we know it as? I got this very same heli toy at Walgreens for $10 rather than the $30 Target wants.

http://www.target.com/Jasman-Chopper...e=1&rh=&page=1