Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Me and my table saw got into a fight........

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Me and my table saw got into a fight........

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 12:15 AM
FOD MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me and my table saw got into a fight........

And i lost[:@] cut off the end of index finger at the back of the nail and middle finger at the first joint.. just wanted to post this to remind everyone about the danger of the tools we use every day in our hobby. i cant remember how many times i have stuck myself with #11 blades, stuck a drill bit thru finger once. got my finger stuck behind the belt on a belt sander ( that hurt too). i sat down on a covering iron once but not for very long. i have a bad habit of getting in a hurry and it really cost me this time. anyway, respect your tools and work safe.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:21 AM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Me and my table saw got into a fight........

Wow...so sorry to hear about your misfortune. About the only thing I could wish for you would be a sense of humor. luckily, you've already got one.
Hope every thing heals up well for you!

Take care,
Paul
Old 11-26-2007, 12:35 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I too am sorry to hear of your unfortunate accident. []

It is good to remind others about safety....[sm=thumbup.gif]

I hope things work out for you in the future.

FBD.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:44 AM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

SORRY TO HEAR OF YOUR BAD LUCK,HOPE YOU HEAL GOOD-SORRY BUT THE COVERING IRON WAS FUNNY *****
Old 11-26-2007, 12:52 AM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

This kind of reminds me of my high school wood shop teacher preaching safety. I was at the time, suprised that there were few mishaps in that shop when you consider that many of the students were so careless and immature. I guess that goes to show how good the instructor was at watching 20+ students all at once, all using machines that could wreak havoc on the human body if misused.

That was 23 yrs ago, I wonder if public schools today still have wood shop courses, considering the liability concerns these days where people sue each other at the drop of a hat.........
Old 11-26-2007, 02:05 AM
FOD MAN

They taped ( no joke ) my middle finger back on and put it in a splint, it may reattach but it wont ever bend again. thank goodness for morphen and heavy duty pain pills. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 11-26-2007, 10:36 AM
seemefly_1

that must suck and ya love the covering iron part but i have done it too so i feel your pain good luck with the tools.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:04 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

OK you need a Saw Stop Cabinet saw..
I wish I could afford one.

http://www.sawstop.com/index.htm
Old 11-27-2007, 02:04 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

WOW! That's one REALLY sophisticated table saw. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 11-29-2007, 05:06 AM
greedy

As a motorcyclist I have to ask the question from that viewpoint, HOWS THE SAW AND PROJECT???, The only thing wrose than hurting yourself is having to fix things afterward.
Best wishes and hope your back at it again soon.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:21 AM
FOD MAN

Saw is just fine, still dont know if the middle finger will be o.k., which is bad because it came in so handy during rush hour traffic. project on hold as of now.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:29 PM
3dd

i can't stand it anymore,did it hurt then or did it start later,i mean when the blade was cutting did you feel it in time to stop?-----sorry had to ask
Old 11-29-2007, 12:54 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Best of luck to you. I did a stupid thing with a chainsaw years ago (holding small branches after a felling job while cutting them into smaller lengths). I went across the first joints below the knuckles of the first two fingers on my left hand. Both still attached but both joints opened up with a 1/4" slot across them. I was told they would probably not bend well, if at all. With lots of determination, sweat and rolled up balls of socks to squeeze I got them bending after a year of trying. Had full use after many years and eventually got so I could squeeze tennis balls.

The good news is that you'll know the weather is going to get worse a day before most folks.

My father-in-law was a cabinetmaker and I used to help in his shop when he had a rush job. Had many near misses there. The saw that gave me the whillies was an old band saw he had that had a 10" gap and no guards. I feared and hated that thing, and that's probably good.

Speedy recovery.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:05 PM
JollyPopper

In response to 3dd, that is a legitimate question. Many years ago, I had the misfortune of being shot up close and personal with a shotgun. My body immediately went into shock and refused to acknowledge the pain. I didn't even know why I fell nor could I understand why I couldn't stand up until I looked and saw the mess that was my leg just seconds before. I remained conscious all the way to the hospital, a matter of an hour or so, and never felt a thing. Hopefully, Fod Man's body reacted somewhat the same way. And Fod Man, don't believe everything your doctors tell you. About 15 years ago, I slipped on some ice and fell and caught the little finger of my right hand on a pick up truck bumper. Long story short, my finger was bent all the way back and the finger from the second joint to the tip ended up on top of the base of the finger. Doctors told me it would never work again. Today I have to turn my hands palm up and look for the scar to even remember which finger it was. It works fine--doesn't even have the arthritis in it that some of my other fingers have. So take heart--your finger could well end up fine.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:06 PM
FOD MAN

no pain when cut but i knew i did not want to look. went from a sting to numb in about two minutes. had my back broken while in the army so i have that to judge pain by, what i consider low pain might make some men cry. shock does set in in thease situations and that does help some with pain and i think it has something to do with slowing the blood loss. what surprised me was that it did not bleed much. actualy i got sleepy on the way to the hospital because i made myself relax and think of time off from work.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:40 PM
huggins

ORIGINAL: FOD MAN

Saw is just fine, still dont know if the middle finger will be o.k., which is bad because it came in so handy during rush hour traffic. project on hold as of now.
When I read this, I started laughing out loud. Not at your situation mind you, but at your humor. I am glad that you still seem to have a sense of humor in the whole tragic situation. I really am sorry about what has happened and wish you the best in recovery.

Mike