Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

A beautiful day shot to *$#%^^

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

A beautiful day shot to *$#%^^

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 03:18 AM
cooleng
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A beautiful day shot to *$#%^^

This happened a few years ago. A beautiful sunny Sunday afternoon at the field. Perfect weather. Quite a few guys flying. All is right with the world. Ever hear the story about swallowing a bee and it bites you in the throat ? Yes it happened to me ! It was actually through a straw I had in a drink ! One of those tiny bees that just seem to hover over things and not cause problems. I new something was wrong right away, but it wasn't till my hands and feet started itching a few minutes later that I knew I was in trouble. Luckily my throat didn't swell up, but my face and hands broke out real bad. I had never been allergic to anything before. One of my friends took me to the ER, while the rest of the guys packed up my stuff and later drove me home from the hospital (I was fine by that evening). What a great bunch of guys. Watch your drinks fellas !
Old 04-04-2003, 04:50 AM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Similar experience

While I didn't get stung it could have been really bad. I had taken off about 2 minuites prior to the incident. There is was, happily flying my Gp Extra that I had spent the previous 6 months building. I notice a few bugs right at my eye level. Kinda weird but not much of an issue. Then it dawned on me what those bugs were. Apparently they where the front edge of a giant swarm of bees. I was quickly surrounded by thousands of those little things. I could feel then bouncing off my face and arms. Now, I had a choice, ditch the plane and run or fly it. To solve the problem I just opened the throttle to full and pointed it vertical. Then I ran out of the pile, momentarily looking away from my plane. After they had cleared I looked back into the sky and happily found my plane still climbing. I moved back up to the flightline and flew a lap to calm my nerves. While I was doing that a friend of mine made sure no bees landed on me. Once I was given the all clear I made a quick landing. Then it was off to change my shorts!

Phil (Mesa, AZ)
Old 04-04-2003, 09:01 PM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

Had some kind of bug bite me when I was literally seconds away from touchdown with a deadstick.

Luckily no harm no foul.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:05 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I got bit by a brown recleuse (sp) spider flying on the slope. Leg swelled huge, couldn't bend my knee. To this day, I still have a scare of a hole in the back of my leg the size of a dime. Nasty little turds.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:27 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Originally posted by FLYBOY
I got bit by a brown recleuse (sp) spider flying on the slope. Leg swelled huge, couldn't bend my knee. To this day, I still have a scare of a hole in the back of my leg the size of a dime. Nasty little turds.
Flyboy,

Wow! Sorry to hear about that. What sort of treatment did you get for the bite?
Old 04-05-2003, 11:35 AM
chrisdodge65
My Feedback: (47)

I know this is not rc related.But I used to fly ultralights before RC.And one day while I was preparing to land and on final ,I just had to yawn and at that second when I opened my mouth,a beetle the size of a quarter flew past my lips and down my throat!! Yuck!!Didn't have anything for dinner that night.Just a bottle of Peptmo Bismol.
Old 04-05-2003, 02:18 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just opened the throttle to full and pointed it vertical. Then I ran out of the pile,
Hey Phil,
Just one more argument for more power!
Dennis-
Old 04-05-2003, 03:55 PM
JIMMYTHEEAGLE
My Feedback: (47)

Our flying site is sorrounded by crops and on either side of the runway is clover. This means that certain times of the day you have thousands of large black and yellow bumble bees. One time when I was up with a 1/4 aerobatic plane a large bee flew up the sleeve of my t-shirt. If you're familiar with these large bees you know the volume of their hum which I found even more threatening when it was inside my clothing. My flying partner landed quickly and tried to help the bee exit but between my squirming, his assistance and the bees impatience, I was stung on the inside of the arm seconds before he flew safely out of the sleeve hole. Fortunately, the plane stayed in the air through all this and I was able to land with only a little discomfort. Lucky for us, there weren't any bystanders around. I'm sure it was a site to see us dancing around the runway. Jim