Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

2003 Toledo Show Rating. How Do You Rate?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

2003 Toledo Show Rating. How Do You Rate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 01:39 AM
alcohol burner
My Feedback: (48)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Toledo Show Rating. How Do You Rate?

Old 04-08-2003, 12:24 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd give it an '8'....spent 95% of my time on the floor - the swap shop is getting less and less each year. The auction was great in that they got to ALL the models (for a change).

Noticed a LACK of turbine stuff this year - last year it was the 'in' thing but not this year. Wonder why....

Was it worth the 10+ hour drive from Alabama - YEP!!!!

Jerry
Old 04-08-2003, 01:59 PM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Having never been to Toledo, I won't comment on it. What I will comment on is the swap shop and swap shops of this ilk in general. Take a look in the back of an RCReport. It used to have literally PAGES of used stuff for sale. Now, maybe half a page. Same with the WRAM swap shop. I have been told that it's a shadow of it's former self.
Blame it on the interent - RCU and eBay. Most of the stuff for sale goes thru RCU and a few others. eBay is responsibile for the wicked numb prices that you DO see at Swap meets.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:52 PM
bkf
My Feedback: (5)

Originally posted by tailskid

Noticed a LACK of turbine stuff this year - last year it was the 'in' thing but not this year. Wonder why....

Jerry
"Wonder why"

Can you say Economy 3 times very fast

Example: Marc, you know the guy I hear don't know how to use a gas pump Last year flew, this year drive. Where I live you couldn't get a job at Burger King. It's that dead!
Old 04-08-2003, 03:04 PM
bkf
My Feedback: (5)

Originally posted by bkf
"Wonder why"

Can you say Economy 3 times very fast

Example: Marc, you know the guy I hear don't know how to use a gas pump Last year flew, this year drive. Where I live you couldn't get a job at Burger King. It's that dead!
Oh: After hearing from the Rochester group that went (about 10) They were happy overall with the show. They did get some good deals (most on saturday " Then they all came home to the end of a three day ice storm that had 200K people without power.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:09 PM
mweathers

HAVING BEEN IN THE HOBBY OVER 25 YEARS THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE BEEN TO THE SHOW AND I GUES I WOULD HAVE TO GIVE IT A 9. I WASN'T THERE TO MAKE A DEAL OR GET AGREAT BARGAIN AT THE SWAP SHOW BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW IT'S USED STUFF THAT THE SELLER IS TRYING TO GET RID OF BEFORE IT'S SOLD AT A GARAGE SALE OR TO THROW IN THE DUMP SO ALL IN ALL I THOUGHT IT WAS GREAT TO SEE THE NEW PRODUCTS THE GREAT MODELS THAT WERE SHOWN LEARN A LITTE AT THE SEMINARS AND GET SOME GREAT CONTACTS FOR ADVICE. AND IF THE SHOW GOT TO CROWDED YOU COULD ALWAYS GO TO THE GREAT ZOO THEY HAVE THAT RANKS ALMOST AS GOOD AS OUR ZOO HERE IN ST. LOUIS. SO I GUESS I WILL MOVE MY RATING UP TO 9.5.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:18 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I was charged sales tax by one vendor all the rest didn't. Being the first time I attended I didn't question it. Should I have?
Old 04-08-2003, 11:33 PM
Tippie

Not intended as a flame but, alcohol burner/mweathers please don't use caps in your posts. That is presented as shouting/yelling and is also more difficult to read. Thank you.
As far as shows go, it is difficult to make comparisons some times because business people move in and out of this hobby so fast and seems that the technology and the ARF/RTF faction are on the fast track.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:47 PM
mweathers

THANKS TIPPIE FOR THE INSITE. MY WIFE ALWAYS COMPLAINS ABOUT ME USING CAPS ON ALL MY CORRESPONDENCE BUT I DONT LISTEN TO HER EITHER. I'M TO LAZY TO USE THE SHIFT KEY. BUT IT DID MAKE YOU LOOK AT MY REPLY DIDN'T IT? THANKS AGAIN???
Old 04-08-2003, 11:49 PM
PigMan Buggerus
My Feedback: (6)

Regardless of what your wife says, it's just plain annoying. Please turn off the CAPS!!!
Old 04-08-2003, 11:57 PM
mweathers

PIGMAN, NAHHH I THINK I'LL JUST LEAVE IT LIKE THIS SINCE IT ANNOYS YOU SO MUCH AND WHAT IS A PIGMAN BUGGERUS aNyWaY?
Old 04-08-2003, 11:57 PM
Tippie

Actually, I didn't read the post. As I said it is difficult to read. I just skipped over it.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:26 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Guys, please stick to the topic or I'll have to start removing posts.

For what it's worth, it's much easier to read a properly formatted message. Show some courtesy for your fellow modelers.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:41 AM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

The last five years brought gobs of new innovations, products, concepts, and many new model airplane designs and changes. The mid-eighties saw a time like what we saw in the last five or so years. The economy will change and things will cycle again. The hobby does this now and then. Don't think the manufacturers don't know about it. Be patient and you'll see things changing again.

JW
Old 04-09-2003, 01:17 AM
Warby
My Feedback: (69)

Default Toledo Show

This year was my first time to the show. All I can say is WoW! I think it was GREAT! The people that had models entered in the contest all did fantastic jobs. I drooled with envy! I looked around at the Swap Shop but didn't see anything that really grabbed my attention. I bought a few small items, thats it. The booths at the show were fantastic. I have a lot of Sig stuff and got to meet Hazel and Maxey. They even invited us to eat with them at the hotel, but our group was to big for the table they had. Two very nice people. The Weak Signals can count on me coming back next year! :thumbup:
Old 04-09-2003, 01:49 AM
rcflyguy_26
My Feedback: (8)

I've gone to the Toledo show every year since I was 7 or 8. I'm now 33. I'm going to give it an 6 for the show it's self, and a 2 for the swap shop. It was really bad this year, But that is something that the Weak Signals can't do anything about. Please don't flame me for the 6. This is just my .02. Just one of the many factors in this low number is the 52% edge was not there! (I almost cried) Just that alone would have made it an 8.
Now next year will be the 50th!!! No madder what it's going to be a "10". Just think, 100 years of flight, 50 years of Toledo! Kind of neat I think.
How many guys remember when the show was at the sports arena? Ahhh... those were the days, and the biggest booths were Kraft and Byron. Then there was that guy who would stand on a box in the corner with that paper airplane that did loops and stuff. Dad would by one for me every year!(if I wasn't a pain).

Later guys, Scott
Old 04-11-2003, 01:17 PM
iflewbayou-RCU

Default My first time

It was my first time ot Toledo, i thought it was ok, but i heard it was alot better in the past, i too was charged tax by more than one vendor, ...I heard the swap shop was bad because internet sales had took over ..... I had a good time, and hope to go again, some things was priced lower than local hobby shops or mail order, ...Some of the things i was going for was not there or was just for show not for sale ... That kind of sucked, ... but in all i had fun got to see some things that was interested i think every modeler should go at least once ,,,,, Is there any other shows kinda like Toledo around i would like to go to another and compare ......
Old 04-13-2003, 12:51 AM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been going to Toledo for the past 15 years or so and my rating of this year would be @ 9. Brought home a DA-100 for my Edge - no issue with DA - they have treated me right over the past five years or so I have been doing business with them. Talked with the people from Kirbys - good bunch of people Talked to Hazel - she is a class person. Went back on Sunday after my ritual Friday - like Sunday better - more time to talk to people. Faye Stilley is still the benchmark for how to monokote - and a great person to talk to. Bob from TruTurn also is a great guy - been buying from him for years - and got a deal again this year.

There are just so many great people to talk to - products to check out - stuff to buy - I don't see how anyone can criticize the show. I have never walked away not seeing something new - not talking to great people - not learning something - never been to a better show anywhere. Perhaps if you have unrealistic expectation you may come away disappointed - I see the glass half full - not half empty.

This year's display of aircraft was about the best I have ever seen. I asked Keith Shaw to let me know when he is going to fly his Bugatti - I have to see it in the air. There are others I hope to see in the air also at other meets this year.

To top it off, the beer and food at Tony Packos met all expectations - was great - and I am looking forward to the show again next year. They are all great.

Dan
Old 04-13-2003, 01:45 AM
onewasp

I first attended Toledo in 1961. Since then the hobby has changed more than a little bit.

In the early days the Mfgrs. announced the NEW products there ---- those shows were "ten's" Example: the year TopFlite introduced Monokote, or the first digital proportional introduction, or the first IC set.

Today, things are pretty well defined and there doesn't seem to be much that is "earth shaking" to be introduced. Also many (if not most) of the "Mfgrs." are really distributors so the "Phil Kraft's , Howard Bonner's or Bob Dunham's simply aren't there.

It's still a good show --- I'd give this year's rating as 5+.
Good but not outstanding.

As always, the Weak Signals did a nice job.
Old 04-13-2003, 02:45 AM
rcreiff-disable

Default 2003 Toledo Show

I can't speak for anyone else but this was my third time to attend Toledo and I always have a blast. I believe anyone who has not attended owe it to themselves to attend at least once in their life.

You will see things at the show that you can't see anywhere else. Just for instance I just finished building a Great Planes Ultra Sport 40+ airplane. While I was checking out the finished one at the Great Planes booth the actual designer of my kit walked over and asked me what I thought of the kit. He was very interested in my feedback about the pros and cons of building his kit and of course how often do you get to meet the man who designed the kit you spent several months building?

Anyway, I am always surprised at how many avid RC modelers have never attended Toledo. Even if you never go back I believe every RC modeler owes it to themselves to attend at least once. The cost is minimal (airfare from Houston, Texas to Toledo $256.00, hotel room $113.00 for two nights, plus whatever money you might feel compelled to spend at the show.

Anyway, my two cents for what it is worth.

Thanks. :thumbup: