The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Our Club has aquired a landfill as a new field

Old 02-13-2008, 09:03 AM
hILLVILLE
My Feedback: (64)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Our Club has aquired a landfill as a new field

We are still looking for one in the N. Indiana area. If anyone close sees one, could you post it. PUMPED OUT EVERY WEEK? You guys need to cut back on the coffee and bran muffins...
Old 02-13-2008, 12:34 PM
jimmac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Hillville,
If you try this lot and ask if they have any that are no longer suitable for rental,they will probably be fine for your club but not for commercial rental.
http://www.usdirectory.com/Plumbing-...29910100-1.htm
Hope this helps.
Jim.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:30 PM
RedWing
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know of two fields around me that are on landfills. I flew at [link=http://www.pmac.jydata.com/]PMAC[/link] for a couple of years and now fly with [link=http://unitedflying.org/]UFO[/link]. Both are on old landfills. We have a permanent outhouse, shed and a pavilion. The shed and pavilion are on concrete. I guess this is not a problem. I do know that we had a bulldozer out one year leveling the field and all the ground was moving up and down, a lot. The ground is bassically hollow, it's not as solid as soil. We don't have problems with smell except for some members (just kidding). Here is a satellite pic. Check out the web sites. I am new so I don't know the details of how they were built.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69081.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	877703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66093.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	877704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85417.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	877705  
Old 02-13-2008, 02:39 PM
jimmac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice field Redwing how do you guy's maintain so much grass.We have a fair bit but not a quarter of what you have.
Jim.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:59 PM
fourstar40
My Feedback: (27)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hILLVILLE

We are still looking for one in the N. Indiana area. If anyone close sees one, could you post it. PUMPED OUT EVERY WEEK? You guys need to cut back on the coffee and bran muffins...

Our club is small enough that maybe once a month would be good enough. The crap we sling doesn't usually require a port-o-jon.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:14 PM
RedWing
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jimmac

Nice field Redwing how do you guy's maintain so much grass.We have a fair bit but not a quarter of what you have.
Jim.
The only grass is the runway. The rest of the area is weeds/tall grass. We fertilize every year and we have a grounds crew that does the cutting. We cut down any small trees in the weeds area before they get big. We own our own ridding mover but I still would not volunteer for that job.

Bill

PS You have to watch out for snakes when looking for your planes in the summer and in the winter you have to trudge through snow.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:18 PM
reincarnate

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: fourstar40

Our club is small enough that maybe once a month would be good enough. The crap we sling doesn't usually require a port-o-jon.
Well said 4*!! I couldn't have said it better!
Old 02-13-2008, 04:50 PM
fourstar40

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why, thank you Mr. Reincarnate!
Old 02-13-2008, 06:56 PM
jimmac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: reincarnate

ORIGINAL: fourstar40

Well said 4*!! I couldn't have said it better!
if you are talking about that kind of crap in this hobby I thought BS was part of the deal,small equation, amount of time at flying field divided by time spent flying equals amount of BS {informative discussion }generated.We should all have giant theoretical portaloo's with on demand flushing.
But isn't the BS some days the best part of it all.
Jim.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:15 PM
fourstar40

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Isn't nice that a single hobby can bring the World all together. The first time my wife came to the field with me she made the comment on how much we BS and no wonder why I spend all day there.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Our club is setup on a landfill.
HERE are the construction pictures.

We found out after putting in the runway that the City would not let us fly over one building - because of explosion danger if a plane were to crash into it. We ended up moving our runway to avoid this building. You should probably find out where there are (if any) no fly zones before you build your runway.

Other than that one problem, we have a great site with lots of room to fly. And since the land really can't be used for anything else, we have reasonable assurace that we will keep this site for quite awhile.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:55 AM
hILLVILLE
My Feedback: (64)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Incredible site. How long to actually fly once you obtained the site. Looks like you had plenty of help and maybe some serious money was thrown at this project. Did you have to have every little project approved? I'm guessing that if we hauled in gravel, we would have to have that approved...
Old 02-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Lucky Dog
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We too have a new field on a closed landfill, and a new club in Columbus, Indiana, and are fortunate to have a great working relationship with the local Solid Waste Management District (they actually approached us). We just formed the club last year, started work on the runway last spring and summer. Picked a bad summer to try and grow new grass though. Thought we'd lost our investment of $450 in grass seed. But, by fall, it started coming in.... finally. We still have structures to obtain and put up. We are fortunately where we can drive steel rods in the ground as deep as we need to, but cannot put up permanent structures, nor are we allowed to keep a mower on the premises (at least at this time). For now, we'll have to trailer in mowers. We are also looking at contracting much of the mowing in the future. Right now we're at around 30 members, and are looking forward to having a first class flying site in the near future.

A great fundraiser for us last year was a yard sale in which members and friends donated items for us to sell. Made considerably more that any swap meet would do for us.

Thanks for the tips about asking around for a no longer rent-able port-a-pot.

Have a look at www.bcrcfliers.org

Cheers!
Old 02-24-2008, 10:59 AM
reincarnate

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Glad you posted Lucky Dog. Your before pictures of the field look very similar to what we're facing. Our club budget is small and we're in for a hard summer of work, but seeing other's success is keeping me focused. Thanks for the post!

Do you guys have a temporary facility to fly at while your new field "comes in"? Looks like you have some members with ambitious looking airplanes. Hope their not sitting and waiting! We are fortunate to have a temporary field. It's a little tighter than we are used to, but we consider ourselves very lucky.

Garage sale you say? Hmmmmm....
Old 02-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Lucky Dog
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

reincarnete,
Nope, we're flying off the field as is. Ass a matter of fact, a few of us with skis are headed out this afternoon to give it a go (one already has earlier this week).

It was disappointing summer with the drought. We originally thought we'd be flying by July/Aug last summer. While it was possible, no real flying was dome until fall, and even then not much of that. Most fliers are also members of other clubs, so theyt had other places they could fly.

I was admittedly skeptical about holding a yard sale, but it was very successful. We're doing it again this year, and it will be interesting to see how much stuff folks have left to contribute. Perhaps at some point we'll have not for profit status, and that will make it easier to obtain donations. We hold ours at the Bart Co. SWMD Recycling Center in town (not at the landfill). Like I said, we are very fortunate to have good relationship with them and the board.

Yes, we do have some good fliers and builders in the group. We should probably have the webmaster put a different picture on the home page, as that's Dave Johnson's 1/3 scale Albatros featured, and was actully one I took at the Hoosier Dawn Patrol last year. It does catch the eye though!

If you're ever in the area, stop by for a visit. Give me a call and I'll meet you there (you do need key for access to the field).

Mike
Old 02-24-2008, 06:37 PM
NCBrit

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ours is on a landfill. Digging holes is a problem, but we can put posts in the ground if they are under a certain size. We put some fence up this weekend using metal T posts. There is a pretty good 360 degree panoramic image on our website, although it doesn't show the new fence. www.caldwellaeromodelers.com

Old 02-24-2008, 07:26 PM
reincarnate

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How is the fabric mat working, and how much did it cost to put in? Will it survive a prop strike or cartwheel landing? We're looking at every option.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:15 AM
NCBrit

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The mat we used is a nylon material used in nurseries. It has lines woven into it to enable consistent placement of potted plants etc. It was about $250 per roll. The rolls are 15' wide and 300' long, so we used two rolls. One of our memebers sells industrial sewing machines, so he stitched the two rolls together prior to installation. We hold it down with landscaping staples.

In hindsight stitching the two pieces together was unnecessaty. Stapling along the join would have worked fine. When we first installed it, we assumed that it would need to be tight so we stretched it out quite a lot. This turned out to be a mistake because the sun will cause the material to tighten up. This year the seam pulled apart because it got too tight. We have also made repairs to it along the way which you can see in the picture.

Prop strikes will often bounce off without a problem. The ones that hit hard and fast tend to tear it, but a small patch glued down will soon fix any small holes.

We plan to replace it next year with the same or a smiliar material. We hope that avoiding the mistakes we made initially will help it last a bit longer. Next year will be our third year with this runway.