Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

R/C flying @ small rural airports

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

R/C flying @ small rural airports

Old 02-15-2008, 10:11 AM
bear cub
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/C flying @ small rural airports

I am in the process of starting a club and locating a flying site here in John Day, Oregon. I met with the airport comissioners on Monday and things ended on a positive note. One member of the comission asked for more information as to how use of the flying site on airport property could be monitored as to the qualifications of the pilots. All pilots would need current AMA cards, need a spotter, and have to check in at the airport office before comitting model aviation. The office is not always open at times like after 6PM on weekdays, weekends, and holidays. I have seen posts and comments pertaining to military base flying sites, but didn't see anything pertaining to non military sites. I looked in and was overwhelmed by the FAR book and so was hoping for some assistance here. I need some suggestions for a system to monitor the after hours flying which at this time is no problem. Is the honor system and a sign in roster along with a frequency control board one way to go? I have been flying R/C for years, but I am new to starting a club and locating a flying site. So far I am the only club member . Thanks for all comments, suggestions, and information. Chet
Old 02-15-2008, 10:33 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: R/C flying @ small rural airports

Chet, the best thing to do is to do some flying when some of the pilots are around - it would surprise me if a few of them didn't want to immediately start the hobby. Then you've got an "in" with the airport. Once a few full-scale pilots are flying R/C, they'll figure out how to work the regulations
Old 02-15-2008, 11:08 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of people have a hard time believing that in the very strictest interpretation of the Federal Aviation Regulations, model flying IS covered by the LAWS found in FAR part 91. HOWEVER the FAA chose to be real on the issue and a modeler complys with Par 91 by following Advisory Circular AC91-57.

The priciple behind that is to realize that the full scale airplane always has the right of way. What you have outlined is a good start. Have a spotter, listen to the radio, get out of the way.

Additionally you should have the airport manager ask the FAA to post a permanent NOTAM associated with the airport that state tha pilots should be advised that there are RC model airplane activities on the airport at irregular times

Have fun
Old 02-15-2008, 12:02 PM
sowega flyer

Minnflyer is absolutely right. I used to fly at our little county airport, and the fullscale guys were awed by these things. There was a lot of times were I'd only get a couple of flights in and then spend the rest of the time chewing the rag with the full scale pilots who would walk over to check out what I was flying. I have made some good friends this way, and open invitations to go fly with them in thier planes.

I always followed the rule that they have the right of way- when I heard one start up, I would land immediately and get out of their way- if one was in the pattern, same thing. We always got along great and never had a problem. I guess its a "respect" thing. Its thier airport, and I'm just visiting.

Unfortunately, with the construction of a new Ethanol plant nearby, the county decided to improve and enlarge the airport for jet traffic so I found another place to fly- a 125 sod farm with a 30 acre pond for my wet "activities"
Old 02-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Good luck, John Day is a neat little town and a nice area. Our club is in a State Park and we have Forest Service Hilo Training by our field several times a year. We immediately work out a system with the Base Forman to know when the aircraft is incoming or out going and keep our planes on the ground during that time, no exceptions. It works well for all.
I am aware of friends flying at a small airport with the blessing of the mgr. They always avoided full scale planes and never caused a problem until some other locals showed uninvited and flew over the active strip, it almost closed down the whole show.
Another club was using a local small airport and some member decided to violate the airports rules and club agrements. As I recall they are looking for another spot.
About the only suggestion that I have is that each member be fully aware of the rules and the club have a provision in the by-laws to immediately expell any member found to violate them. You must be very strict as there is no room for mistakes in such an enviorment, people can die from a 46 size model thru the windshield.......
Old 02-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The club may want to consider buying a hand held aviation band two way radio and use it to periodically broadcast on the airpost Unicom frequency the fact that models are in the airport traffic area area. Discuss this with the airport manager first. Another thought would be lock access to the model flight area when not in use, and post signs with the hours of operation and other flying site requirements.

My experience has shown that some full scale pilots look with disdain upon model flying, especially at their airport, but what you are working on has been done many times before. Holding closely to the rules will be critical for it's success.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:22 AM
bear cub

Yes sir, that is a great idea! Thanks, I'll post an update from time to time on my progress. Thanks Mike
Old 02-18-2008, 08:30 AM
bear cub

Thanks, Major I found AC 91-57 I think that part of the AMA saftey rules reflect this AC. You have some great suggestions and comments. I'll get this together yet. Thanks Major, I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:38 AM
bear cub

Thanks for the comments and words of experienced advice. You fellers are very encouraging and your input is greatly appreciated. I'll keep you posted. Thanks, Chet
Old 02-18-2008, 08:59 AM
bear cub

Thanks, Gizmo for your words of wisdom: R/C flying is in fact a dicipline. Communication plays a very large role in OUR flying activities. We all need to exercise Respect and Appreciation along with Communication and Dicipline when operating model aircraft. These are all points that I think I need to present when training a new student or talking to a potential club member. We can practice safety and still have fun. Thanks again, Gizmo I'll keep you posted
Old 02-18-2008, 09:19 AM
bear cub

Thanks Pat, for your ideas and comments. This is all very helpful and informative. I appreciate everyone taking the time to help with this project. I suppose that I could find a secluded spot on the corner of some field somewhere and fly model aircraft all day long and not have any worries. However my thought is that model aviation should not be kept a secret. Aviation should be shared with those willing to take the initiative, as not everyone is willing to take the proper steps. Thanks so much for your comments and ideas, Chet I'll keep you posted