Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

WRAM show, What a waste

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 03:42 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default WRAM show, What a waste

Went to the WRAM show again this year and was completely disappointed.... Not a deal to be had anyplace... I remember a few years back there where spots filled with ARF's discounted for the show and this year Bruckner hobbies (the local hobby store to the area)did not even have much stuff compared to what they used too. and there where so many vender's not there any more, What is happening to the WRAM show. I think this was my last 4 hour trek to the show.

Dauntae
Old 02-23-2008, 07:41 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: WRAM show, What a waste

What's happening is that this hobby is going through some big changes - mostly in the fact that so much of it is moving to park fliers, which means batteries, electric motors and ESCs, and 2.4GHz radios. And a lot of companies are playing "Catch-up"

Toledo was similar last year. It was almost like being at a different show. It's going to be interesting to see what it's like this year.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:00 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course gas prices, over all inflation, weather and a near recession had nothing to do with it.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:23 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 02-23-2008, 10:49 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What near recession? Following the same indicators usually followed for a recession and we've been in one for quite some time. Banking and government are trying to maintain denial with hopes of holding the dollar value up at least a little bit. Ain't workin'.

If people aren't buying, and they aren't, there's a problem.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:13 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't go this year, because of work. I usually don't buy anything much there, anyway. The Seminars looked good, though. Were there any new products being introduced? That's one of the things that I go for. Also, how about the model expo/contest?

I usually go every 2 years or so. It's a 3-1/2 hour drive for me... I went last year.

Bob
Old 02-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Springer
My Feedback: (1)

My friend and I went on Friday to beat the weekend crowds. We got there around 12 so we decided to get some food before we went in. We followed the sign at the corner by the Center to McD's and when we pulled in the lot found Bruckner Hobbies. I didn't know they were that close. They have signs in the window that says they lost their lease and are selling everything out at low prices. Their other store will still be open. The store was closed so I hoped to find great deals at their tables at the show. Didn't happen. Maybe if you can get to their store after the show you can find a good deal.

I picked up a few things I needed Friday. Saved shipping but that is about it. I was looking for a JR X9303 and some receivers. No luck finding any for sale. I stopped at a local shop on the way home and bought the radio with receiver only for $550. Got a good deal on Hitec servos and extra receivers too. It is Power Hobby in Suffern NY. They do web sales and if you call will quote some great prices.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:14 PM
DaveB

I haven't attended the WRAM's show for the last few years. While I always enjoyed the show, when you add the cos of 20 gallons of gas (round trip), tolls, parking and price of admission, it does get a little expensive, not to mention the 5 hours on the road. Maybe if the "show specials" were as abundant as they were in the past I would reconsider and go, but for now, I can't justify the trip.

DaveB
Old 02-24-2008, 05:17 AM
safeTwire
My Feedback: (2)

The WRAM show is not a Flea Market.

It's main reason for being is to allow you to meet the outstanding group of individuals who comprise the Leading Edge Companies of the industry!
Old 02-24-2008, 06:43 AM
nk3t

As a club contact, the WRAM folks sent me 50 copies of a 6-page color flier to pass out to club members. I was shocked to find that the flier did not have any information on where the show was located, no building, city, or state. I tried sending a note to their marketing contact that sent the fliers, but the email address was invalid.

I guess it is just a ploy to recycle New York garbage in Maryland.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:17 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nk3t

As a club contact, the WRAM folks sent me 50 copies of a 6-page color flier to pass out to club members. I was shocked to find that the flier did not have any information on where the show was located, no building, city, or state. I tried sending a note to their marketing contact that sent the fliers, but the email address was invalid.

I guess it is just a ploy to recycle New York garbage in Maryland.
Their e-mail is wram.org (hard to forget). In the website they have good directions. I go every year, but this year the only date I would bave been able to go was Friday and we had snow and I was flooded with work anyway. Oh well, there is always next year.

Gerry
Old 02-29-2008, 10:14 PM
helofix

Guys, I have been attending he Show for four years now and I can say that I agree with all of you. The hobbie is under a transition and is being affected by all, to include the financial situation in the US. Foamies, and electric aircraft are here to rescue and maintain the interest for people in the hobbie. Yes, I used to find deals and eventhough it is not a flea market, it is always good for the vendors to sell something in order to pay for the $500.00 dollar a table. I also noticed a large amount of people buying electric helicopters and cheap foamies. No problem. It is the way to keep people interested in the hobbie. Like many other, I battle the weather and did not stopped me from attending the show. Regardless, it is always fun to feel the transition and chat with the vendors for the latest products.