Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Supplying my Model Club

Old 09-26-2002, 12:40 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supplying my Model Club

since the club is related to a school... I'd consider the safety aspect of the electrics to be important. Its a lot harder to get a kid's finger in a prop while starting/adjusting the engine if its an electric.

The modern electrics are good enough... you don't lose performance with the trainers.
The known battery pack durration gives very even flight time per student.
The ESV low voltage cut-out (modern ESV's with BEC) gives plenty of warning to land, and still gives access to a couple burst of power to stretch the glide for landing.

If any students want to get into glow... have them get thier own planes, and hold extra training related to the glow power just for those who will be dealing with it.

That $600... gets 2 glow trainer setups, or 2 electric setups. (assuming appx 56-60 inch span 4-ch trainers) Then there's the support equip for either... If the club doesn't have support equip, you've only got enough for one complete setup, and then the support stuff and some spare parts. (the money goes quick...)

Might talk to a couple of large mail order houses... sometimes they'll give support to a school based group. (discounts... sometimes even freebies. can't hurt to ask...)
Old 09-27-2002, 04:47 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you don't have a lot of money to spend to make a lot of repairs or replace broken airplanes, perhaps it would be a good idea to see if you could get some instructional help from a club.

I helped several local schools start RC flying clubs by volunteering my time a couple of times per week to teach students and their teachers to fly RC planes and helicopters.

I have a way to teach people to fly very safe and quick, which from what I continue to hear from so many is not all that possible.

See: http://www.mfarchive.modelstuff.co.uk/mf045/postbox.htm

Take care,
Clarence C. Ragland
http://www.kites.org/rc_instructors

Tell me and I will forget.
Show me and I will remember:
Involve me and I will understand.

- Confucius
Old 09-27-2002, 12:19 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Another money saving idea...

Visit www.spad.org Look at thier trainer plans... build planes for $15-$20 each, and they tend to bounce rather than break. Takes just a few min to build one if you've done a couple. (and you can convert to electric..)

Don't "flash" the plastic.. lightly sand it. It works as well or better, and its less likely to cause melting of the materials. (and no fire risk...)

Cut control horns from the PVC downspout scrap.. extend the "flange" to the TE of the control surface and you get less control surface flex. Just CA them on.

aluminum LG... buy bar stock from Lowes and bend yor own. $5 of aluminum makes 3 to 5 main gear.
And look at the "Gremlin" combat wing for a cheaper way to mount the engine. No commercial mount required.
Old 09-28-2002, 12:58 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Need help on something... e-mail me. I'm just 60 to 70 mi from Austin.