Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Wing bags for Sig Somethin Extra

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Wing bags for Sig Somethin Extra

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 03:35 PM
sswagerty
My Feedback: (53)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing bags for Sig Somethin Extra

I would like to buy a set of wing bags for my Somethin Extra. The plane is small enough that I leave the wings on all of the time... therefore I would like a set that slips over the wings up to the fuse... have not been able to find any.
Do you have any ideas?
thanks in advance
Old 04-24-2003, 04:27 PM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Not for wing bags but I got myself a couple of large blocks of some pretty dense black foam. Two pieces each longer then the chords of the root and tip of the wings and thicker than the root and tip thicknesses (assuming a gap of some measure in between.) I then drew an outline of the root ribs on one - 180 degrees from one another and the tip ribs, again 180 degrees from one another and then cut out the outlines. These slide over the ends of the wings and hold the wings about 1.5 inches apart. By 180 degrees from one another, I mean that the aileron from one wing sits over the leading edge of the other. I made sure there was enough gap between to clear the servos so that I don't need to have them exposed when carrying around. On the edges of one of the foam "holders", I Zap-A-Dap Goo'd four small pieces of the foam I cut out (each about 1.5"x2"x.5") on edge and then Goo'd some Velcro straps for the wing tube. I can carry the wings and tube easily with one hand. The foam pieces are coming up on 4 years old now and they still work fine. Cheap alternative to wing bags and I've gotten a lot of positive comments on them.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:53 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

You can try www.wingbags.com. I have never used them but I have seen their stuff at Toledo and it looks good.

I can run a sewing machine (I'm embarrassed to say my mother made me learn how as a small child) so I just make my own. I buy heavy canvas for outer shell, smooth nylon or poly for the inner sleeve and use carpet padding or laminate flooring padding. Velcro flap for sealing, etc.

However, I have seen many other methods that while they don't look the greatest, they do work quite well.

For the actual bags, you can get carpet padding, fuzzy blankets, old pillow slips, whatever. If you don't have access to some one who can sew, you can just staple or use duct tape, etc. Velcro as mentioned in the above post works good for holding the bags closed or on the plane. The primary purpose of wing bags is to protect the wing during transport and storage. A stapled wing bag won't look the greatest, but it works.

Cheers
Old 04-24-2003, 11:26 PM
vica6m5
My Feedback: (2)

Also try wingtote.com
Old 04-28-2003, 01:21 PM
crashNburnin

http://www.wingbags.com/laser.htm

they list your plane near the bottom also in small print at the bottom of the main page they say somthin about 1/2 pricebags so you might be able to get a deal
Old 04-28-2003, 11:14 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

www.wingtote.com

they will make custom bags or just use a standard bag. Very good quality and great service.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:23 PM
crashNburnin

yea Ive seen those but nuthin to write home about