Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Kia Sorrento - A poor example of what not to do!

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Kia Sorrento - A poor example of what not to do!

Old 04-23-2003, 06:45 PM
ShempHoward
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kia Sorrento - A poor example of what not to do!

I recently saw an ad for a Kia Sorrento SUV where the parent is driving and the little kid in the back seat holding his Tx is flying his small J3 in front of the car just a bit ahead of the hood. Nowhere is there a "do not try this at home" warning disclaimer. I wonder how many will actually try this? During the ad a wing tip clips a tree and causes the plane to invert and keep flying without any damage - yeah sure. The Sorrento comes to an abrupt stop when the road suddenly ends at a cliff with no guard rail - yeah sure. Meanwhile the plane goes downward over the cliff never to be seen again. Doesn't do much for the Hobby but thats Madison Ave for ya.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:59 PM
Live Wire

Did you see the boat he got to take its place. Could get expensive mite have been the SUV in stead of cub.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:02 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The way TV portrays this sport/hobby burns me up too. I think the AMA should start getting after TV the way animal rights activists have. Anytime an animal is used on TV there are all kinds of groups making sure that it's treated properly. The AMA should raise a fuss every time some idiot on TV takes out his kids' "Toy Airplane/Helicopter"!
Old 04-23-2003, 07:15 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why should we be outraged that TV is portraying that RC planes are little toys when the MANUFACTURERS of many parkflyers do the same thing? Just walk into your hobby shop and look at the (expanding) parkflyer section and you'll see that everyone is capitalizing on this.

Besides, if AMA responded to stuff like this in the same manner that AOPA responds to full scale issues, we'd have a much better reputation.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:26 PM
Crashem

ShempHoward,

I saw the commerical and immediately thought two things

1. Wow I got a cub just like that.

2. Somebody on RCU with nothing better to do is going to start a thread about this commerical trashing it .

God its hard being right all the time
Old 04-23-2003, 08:03 PM
Roby

Now you know why the TV is often referred to
as a "BOOB TUBE"

The scary thing is too many people will actually
believe what they see on the "tube" as true

Regards
Roby
Old 04-23-2003, 08:38 PM
tkigar
My Feedback: (5)

Default I vote for this !!!!!

So.....is it that you dont think people should fly from moving vehicles? then please dont go to www.camarathon.com you wont like what you see then.....a 50 mile course and get this......you fly from the back of a moving pick-up truck or from inside a moving vehicle LOL It is sooooo much fun. Do the 25 miles down a hwy and turn the plane and vehicle around at the pylon and head back to the finish line. I think the commercial copied there idea. just my 2 cents Tim
Old 04-23-2003, 11:13 PM
rtn9105
My Feedback: (35)

Well one things for sure, the fact that you put their company name in this threads title and that everyone on here is talking about the commercial means that they achieved what they set out to do.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:28 AM
Grampaw

People really do believe what they see on TV. Case in point is the following. A storm blew a tree down and it came to rest lying across a road. A crew was in the process of cutting it up for removal when a lady drove up and tooted her horn. They told her to back up and go around the block, as she couldn't get by. Annoyed she put her car in reverse and started backing up the street towards the corner. The crew went back to work, but upon hearing an engine rev up they looked back and saw that car bearing down on them at full speed! Scattering, they watched as she hit the tree, bounced and came to rest on top of the trunk! Laughing, one of the crew asked her what happened.
As she sat in her car rocking back and forth, she replied angrily, "Jump that tree, just like they do on TV all the time!" They called the newspaper photographer. His shot ran in the paper the next day giving the whole town a good laugh. You never know!
Old 04-24-2003, 12:09 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: I vote for this !!!!!

Originally posted by tkigar
So.....is it that you dont think people should fly from moving vehicles? then please dont go to www.camarathon.com you wont like what you see then.....a 50 mile course and get this......you fly from the back of a moving pick-up truck or from inside a moving vehicle
I don't have a problem with this, it is another aspect to this sport.

What I have a problem with is when TV trivializes something that is a dangerous endeavor.
Old 04-27-2003, 10:51 PM
coomarlin
My Feedback: (1)

I'd say the real moral to the story is not to buy a piece of crap car like a Kia

Sorry if I've offended those of you that actually own those fine pieces of Korean craftsmanship. :devious:
Old 04-27-2003, 11:08 PM
TomM

I thought it was a cute commercial. The kid looked pretty intense.

There was a guy near Valley Forge 20 years ago who use to clock his heli on the highway Sunday morning around 6:00. I think it was a GMP Cricket. First time I saw it at a distance coming at me I thought.. "damn, that's one big bug!"
Old 04-28-2003, 02:03 AM
tkigar

HEYYYYYYYY I drive a KIA RIO, and you know what......I get 34 miles to the gallon. more money to fly, to drive to pick up planes, and plenty of room to put 3 birds and all the flight stuff in and have a ball. so neener neener pooh on you LOL
Old 04-28-2003, 04:07 AM
GrnBrt

Well I don't watch that much stupid tube so I just saw it tonight for the first time and my thoughts were, DUMB!!!!! No big deal to me really, just more unreal hype, big deal!!!!
Old 04-28-2003, 01:20 PM
P-51B

Doesn't the AMA actually sponsor flying from cars?

If I recall, it seems that the cross country distance record was set by someone (or team of someones) flying a plane while driving down the interstate.