Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

My gripe with Tower Hobbies.

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

My gripe with Tower Hobbies.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 02:28 PM
Crash90
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My gripe with Tower Hobbies.

I order alot of parts from Tower and never had a problem with them, however there is one thing that really gripes me.

Last week I had ordered a 12x6 apc prop over the internet. I opted for standard shipping. About 1/2 hour later I decided to order a second prop. I called them on the phone and they told me that my order was already invoiced so they couldnt change it. I ended up ordering the second prop and paying another 5-7 dollars in shipping.

Today i log in and order an apc 11x6 prop and a perry pump. 20 minutes later i decided that I didn't want the perry pump so I called and got the same story. It's been invoiced so theres nothing we can do.

Whats up with that. I could see if it was packed, but invoiced? Give me a break. Don't I have any rights as a consumer to change my mind. Like I said we are talking about a 20-30 minute period.

So now I am getting a perry pump that I wont use.

I feel better now. LOL

I went to my LHS yeesterday and only spent $0.42. No thats not a misprint 42 cents. Whats wrong with me. Is there a R/C Doctor in the house.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:43 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Take two teaspoons of 15% Omega and buy two glo-plugs. You'll feel better in the morning.

As we build more into the operation system for order entry and business operation in general the more we become trapped by system constraints. My job is to make sure our order, manufacturing, billing and receiving system integrates with the general ledger. Some days I just want to cry. Operating systems only do what you tell them to do . . . exactly and with no sympathy for what you really wanted to do, darn it.

If Tower can't change an in-process invoice it's because no-one designed it to happen. Can't blame the order processer. Their hands are tied. E-mail the president of Tower. The impossible happens only if the boss says it must.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:46 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: My gripe with Tower Hobbies.

Originally posted by Crash90
I went to my LHS yeesterday and only spent $0.42
Ask them if they want to buy a Perry Pump
Old 04-25-2003, 02:55 PM
BillHarris

I went to my LHS yeesterday and only spent $0.42.
Spend more at your LHS. You'll realy feel bad making that $0.42 order from Tower some day when your LHS goes belly-up...
Old 04-25-2003, 03:02 PM
Crash90

bill.
Good point. I buy 99.9% of my stuff from my LHS.

Charlie P. Should I double my first doseage?

Minn Flyer. Yeah. And I'll charge them seperately for shipping. lol
Old 04-25-2003, 03:12 PM
Phi3l

How did you get out of the LHS for only $0.42 ??????
I can't seem to get out for less than 50 bucks!!!

Phil
Old 04-25-2003, 03:53 PM
tempus

Well I have a gripe with a hobby store from last summer. I went with my sons to buy a new drive gear for 1 of my sons model car. The co-owner insisted we buy a membership($20) because they have a 2 price system 1 price for members and 1 price for non members and i would save money. I then said i did not want a membership and i would pay the little bit extra. Then she insisted the part i wanted was hard to get from the supplier and the ones in stock were being kept for those who had purchased the cars there and she refused to sell me the part So I took my money and left. Her story the part was hard to get was a crock because at another store there was at least 10 in stock. I bought one at the other store
Old 04-25-2003, 04:00 PM
Crash90

Phil.

Yeah. It's a first. needed 2 screws 4 washers and 2 nuts. .05 each. Usually i go in for that stuff and leave with, well you know
Old 04-25-2003, 04:55 PM
airwethead

Crash,

How is it Tower's problem that you cant make up your mind? It seems to me that tower has set up a very fast and efficient system, designed to take orders and ship products FAST! I ordered a bunch of stuff on Tuesday, and here it is Friday morning sitting in my hand. That is with the standard shipping. Tower's system is set up for speed, and their customer service aint bad either. They have a lot of inventory, and good prices too. With all that, I guess something had to give. Lucky for the rest of us, they decided to scrap the part of the system that helps finicky people change their mind every 20 minutes.
Old 04-25-2003, 05:38 PM
Crash90

Boy. Theres one in every bunch. You call that customer service? I paid 14.00 to ship 2 props ordered 20 minutes apart. As I mentioned tower has always provided great service to me HOWEVER I have ordered parts from many places all of which offered the same quality service and speedy delivery and never had a problem making a change. Most places were more than happy to help me.

AIRWETHEAD.
I pulled this from one of your posts.

Yeah, like CaffeenMan said!

I just finished my 1/4 scale cap, and did a beautiful job cutting the cowl to fit my Super Tigre 2300 perfectly. Well, now I have decided to use an OS 1.60. Now I have holes all over the cowl in all the wrong spots!

Oh well, chalk it up to experience. You are the only one who will even notice the extra notch. This is not the first mistake you will make. and it is really no big deal. Go fly and have fun!!

I guess even people like you enjoy the right to change your mind .
Old 04-25-2003, 06:45 PM
airwethead

Yeah, I can change my mind. Now let me quote myself
"Oh well, chalk it up to experience." Do you see me trying to make someone else responsible for my mistake?

Everybody can change their mind. I did about that engine. But I didn't blame Tower for it.

I normally don't make posts like my previous one, because they start flame wars like this one. But your original post demonstrates something that is fundamentally wrong with this country. Nobody accepts responsibility for their own choices and actions anymore. "I couldn't make up my mind, so I had to pay extra shipping, and that is 'Tower's' fault." "I spilled hot coffee on myself, McDonalds owes me $2million."

If you even bothered to read the whole thread that you pulled my other post from, you would see that I was trying to explain that everybody makes mistakes, and that the original poster should see that we all do it. Nowhere did I try to gripe about my mistake, or say that someone else should do something about it. Or maybe I should complain to Horizon that their cowl got cut in the wrong place, this is unacceptable, they are responsible for getting me a new one.

Now I will give you the same advice I gave the other guy.
"This is not the first mistake you will make. and it is really no big deal. Go fly and have fun!!"
Old 04-25-2003, 07:20 PM
pinball-RCU

Crash90,

I would suggest you send a nice letter to Tower, telling them how great their service is, but they could make it even better by changing their computer system so that customer service reps can modify orders in progress. They will look at the cost of doing so compared to the cost in grumpy customers and make a decision.

Instead, you've taken your complaint to the Internet court, where, frankly, it's unlikely you'll win anything significant.

In the first case of the prop, I think you effectively rewarded them (by making another order) for the behavior you were trying to discourage. Bad move!

On the second case, it sounds like you're going to keep the pump, again, rewarding them for the behavior you're trying to discourage. Send that pump back! It will cost you a little, but it will cost them a lot more. If they see that they get a lot of returns that they could have avoided, they'll be more likely to change their policy.

The Tower folks are businessmen. They want you happy, but if they see that you are unhappy but still sending them money, they will be slower to act than if you're unhappy and not sending them money.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:16 PM
airwethead

I must apologize if I came off a little too abrasive. Just trying to point out that the mistake was yours, not Towers. But pinball is right. Send them a message about their system. Send the pump back if you really don't want it. And when ordering online, make sure that your order is 100% correct before you click that "Confirm Order" button.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:50 PM
Crash90

I come to this forum probably 10 times a day. I use it to research,ask questions,share experiences (good or bad). and offer help when I can. I certainly don't come here to contend with people with the mental capacity of a flee.(airhead im talking to you)

I shared an experience that I had with tower hobbies and I get called names? Come on. This isnt second grade. We are all adults here. Im sure airhead cant wait to bash this post so I will be the one to end it. This is my last reply.

To the rest of you. Tower hobbies has good service,prompt shipping and good prices . Although I had a bad experience today I have no trouble reccommending them. just make sure you know what you want.

PS About 2 months ago I was finishing up my US 40+. I wanted to finish it in green and white. I knew my LHS didn't have the green. I was confident that he had white. So before leaving for my LHS i ordered green monokote from tower. When I got to my LHS he was out of white. Excited to get the plane done I immediately came home and called tower to add it to my order. The man on the phone was more than happy to help. He explained that my original order was invoiced so he couldnt add anything to it but he could cancel that order and make me out a new one. I guess that what got my goat was that if this guy could help me. The person I talked to today could have helped also if he chose to. indecisive? No im not indecisive. Im impulsive. I buy impulsively and later use logic. People like tower should bend over backwards for people like me. Most of their business is to the impulsive buyer. I mean how many planes do we really need?

Sorry to everybody. Posts like airheads are better left ignored. I can't believe I let him draw me into this discussion. It wont happen again.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:54 PM
Crash90

Airwethead. I wasnt upset at tower over my mistake. Obviously im the one that placed my order wrong. I was upset because they werent willing to work with me when I knew they could if they chose to. My last post was uncalled for and I apologise. I just didn't see any reason for the name calling. I am not grumpy i am upset. Actually I am over it now.
Old 04-27-2003, 01:23 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can understand an impulse buy, however, since I' deal with businesses all day I assure you that most are not set up to accomodate the impulsive buyer. Most companies of towers size have computerized stock control and order processing for efficiency. Having to redo a series of orders while you think it unfair try and see it happening 100X's a day and you see the problems that a company would face. Remember that tower processes thousands of orders in a day, it has to be systematised or it would collapse on itself.
Better to rant at Tower and great Planes for effectively forcing out of business everyone who won't sell to them at a price so low that they can't afford to stay in business. Lots of great products that I used to love to buy, can't anymore, couldn't compete with the 'Evil Empire'.
Old 04-27-2003, 01:40 AM
Crash90

Ok. It's the next day and I'm over it. I found a good use for the perry pump so nothing is lost. I guess everybody was right about one thing. If you want quick and efficient. Go to tower. If you want flexibility go to the LHS. Lesson learned.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:59 AM
Taildragger
My Feedback: (204)

I think if maybe if you sat down and called in 1 order a week for all that you need you might save a bundle of money on shipping over paying 7.00 shipping every time you need a 2.00 prop or a glow plug. Just a suggestion mind you.
Old 04-28-2003, 02:23 AM
Crash90

Yeah. Im like the impossible to please. When I order something I want it yesterday. Then I complain because things are too fast. Oh well. Just won an electric plane on EBay. Hopefully I can finish my stagger bee, and put the cowl on my Ultimate before it gets here. have a great day everybody.