Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Old Nylon Props

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 02:35 PM
FrancisPerson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Nylon Props

I bought these 10x3.5 Top Flight flexable Nylon Props. How much RPM can they take?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40413.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	911451  
Old 03-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Dorsal
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Old Nylon Props

As much as you can give them - BUT - Boil them in water first! As Nylon ages it dries out, getting brittle. Boiling them in water will re-vitalize the material and they won't shatter the first time you use them.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:20 PM
FrancisPerson

How long do I boil them?

Francis
Old 03-23-2008, 07:43 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It also depends on what size engine you put them on...what the approx. r.p.m. might be, and other factors...

Personally, I wouldn't trust them past 10 or 11,000 r.p.m. max...and in colder weather they can get brittle (again )

Ya know the warning sheet and labels on all props nowdays? IIRC It was one of these types of props that shed a blade and caused a major law suit back in the mid 70's when the blade hit somebody, so "use at your own risk" as they say.
You can see the blades flex and bend like crazy as you run the throttle up and down. (I used a lot of these props in the 70's, when our selection of prop manufacturers was rather limited...)

Unless you're on a nostalgia kick, I'd suggest a modern prop, but if you do run them, stay well out of the line of fire so to speak, and boil them for at least 15-20 minutes.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:20 AM
Dr1Driver

Personally, l wouldn't use them AT ALL. Even back when nylon props were fresh and were all we had (besides wood), they tended to fail if not treated EXACTLY right.

Dr.1