Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Was this a great day or what?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Was this a great day or what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 01:46 AM
flyathome
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was this a great day or what?

Here in southern Oklahoma it was 80-ish today, clear sky and light breezes. What does that suggest to you??? The rest of the story is that I live on 14 acres, so I can fly from my yard. I flew my profile fun fly for while and then I worked on the two sledges I am building. Fly for a while and then build for a while. I spent the afternoon doing that. It just doesn't get any better than that!!!

Steve
Old 04-27-2003, 09:39 AM
vtol_guy

in england the weather forecast predicted endless rain and sheer winds, what happened when i awoke?

I opened the curtains to find a lovely sunny blue sky with the occasional white fluffy cloud with a wind that could barely blow leaves around,
Old 04-27-2003, 05:37 PM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Today was our club picnic and public flying day.

For a couple of bucks, anybody can hook up via buddy cord and give RC flying a try. For a few more dollars, they can eat and have something to drink and eat some more and fly some more.

It rained half of the day, temperature in the mid-forties, winds from 20mph-30mph. Nevertheless, we were blessed to have maybe thirty novice flyers and just about cooked all of our BBQ foods. I got in six or seven freestyle flights, with wonderful harrier rolls into the strong headwind.

OK, so today sucked, but it was still lots of fun.

Mark
Old 04-28-2003, 07:03 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Steve (Poncaflyer),

It worked - I'm jealous! Of the land and especially of the Sledges! I don't think you can fly both of those at once, so I'll gladly take the extra one. (I'm being funny of course)
Old 04-28-2003, 08:19 PM
perjar

I live on 200 acres about 100 is grass but it is split it two so I have 2 50-acre fields 1 has power lines running through it though. I have 3 flights on my aerobird and my dad is already tired of taking me to the field (we've been there 2 times) and it about 20 miles away maybe 25. Well I'm not ready to solo but he wants me to I don't know what to do because i know that if i try to solo i will crash and I don't want to spend anymore of their money I'm only 13! I might not crash the first time but I will crash what do you guys think I should do!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Old 04-29-2003, 01:13 AM
QuarterCub
My Feedback: (2)

Default Yes!

It was a great day Steve. I spent all of it in the shop covering my Cub. Still not done, but it will be this Saturday!
Old 04-29-2003, 01:43 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default Hey Perjar-

You sound mature and intelligent-

If soemone else is helping you pay for your RC stuff then tell them what you told us-

I would try to go to the field but if you feel comfortable, and you have a financial backer go for it!

I love to see modesty...
Old 04-29-2003, 02:41 AM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pejar,

See if one of the instructors from the club will come to your house. Maybe it is closer to your house than to the club field for the instructor also. If your dad does not mind maybe the offer of access to another flying field would be an incentive for the instructor to come to you.

If you do not feel that you are ready to solo, explain that to your dad and be patient.

Good luck,

Eric
Old 04-29-2003, 04:07 AM
flyathome
My Feedback: (7)

Default Sledges

Goinstraightup,

Sorry the second Sledge is already spoken for. It is for my son. I am doing the building and he is paying for the kits, covering, hardware, etc. I am really looking forward to flying them.

Steve
Old 04-29-2003, 11:13 AM
Goinstraightup

Cool! I've heard so many good things about them.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:41 PM
perjar

Well thanks for the advice ill try to tell my dad. And one more thing for some reason I put I had 3 flights on my Aerobird I don't know where that came from but its actually a Hobbico Superstar.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:07 PM
perjar

Well my dad doesn't care he wants me to fly and he doesn't care if I crash. My mom doesn't like it because of all the money and my dad says I will crash anyway. We've been to the field and both times we crashed so he thinks the instructor no help at all and I will crash even with him. The first time the battery went dead and I had to buy a new body! The second time we were coming in for a landing and were real low. There is a fence right by the runway and I was trying to level the plane and I made a wrong turn. The instructor tried to save it from the fence which he did but then it hit something else and there was minor damage. He says that I know how to take off land and fly it because I did it 2 times with the instructor. But I don't know how he guided me through it all and I need more practice. My dad dosen't know what he is talking about he has never flown. I told him I don't know how to fly well at all and I need more practice and that I will crash if I don't get more practice. He says I know how and I will crash anyway. Now I hate my dad and I wish he would leave me alone and shut up. He is impossible to persuade and when I needed help building my airplane and he couldn't do it he would go crazy and break something. I hope he leaves me alone and someone please tell me what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2003, 11:38 AM
Goinstraightup

perjar,

Interesting story. First of all, don't hate your Dad. That's just plane wrong, plus he buys your RC stuff. I'd say your problem right now is your instructor. I've been instructing for 8 years and there's no way you should be hitting anything with your plane while flying with an instructor. I know from your post above that you guys have the land to fly, but I would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend joining an RC Club in your area. The guys there will give you lots of help. Most people in RC clubs are super helpful. I wouldn't even be surprised if someone there would come out and help you build. Especially if you told them they could fly on your land too. Go to the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) and search for clubs in your area. I think that you guys will get it, and you will have fun doing it too, you just need a little help through these beginning stages. There's a beginners forum here on RCU too. Make sure you guys are starting with high wing trainers and not aerobatic planes. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2003, 04:33 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

If you can talk your Dad into one more trip to the flying field, put him on the sticks with an instructor. He will see for himself that you cannot learn to fly in two lessons.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:55 PM
perjar

Goingstraightup,

The problem is my dad doesn't want to take me to the field because I crashed both times there and he says I might as well crash here then go and drive for 25 min and crash at the field. I want to join the club badly but he wont let me he says I know how to fly and hes not going back to the field he just wanted me to learn and forget the club. My dad doesn't care what I say he doesn't care what anyone says he will do what he wants even if he messes up. Trust me you have no idea how my dad is.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:31 PM
Goinstraightup

I hear ya, but still there is too much crashing since you are being instructed. A student should never crash with an instructor. I would say to fly the aerobird as much as you possibly can to gain experience, and as I said before, ask lots of questions in the beginners forum. Hope all goes well.
Old 05-03-2003, 12:09 PM
perjar

Ohh well its too late now my dad forced me to fly and it went behind some trees couldn't see it I think it was doing loops over the lake behind the trees and it was gone. Couldn't find it for 1 and a half days but we found it in a 80 foot pine. We had to cut down the tree and I don't think I have seen anything worse than that here on RCU in the crash pics section. But the engine and radio stuff were all fine for some weird reason. I had decided to quit the hobby maybe get into boats. But I had always wanted to build a SPAD so I am going to build a DPS.