Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

OS Customer Support? Am I being to picky

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

OS Customer Support? Am I being to picky

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 01:42 AM
TTARK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS Customer Support? Am I being to picky

A couple of months ago I bought a OS 46 fx at the LHS. Well after finishing the plane it was going in, I finally broke it in and went flying. After less than 10 tanks of fuel through it, It started burning glow plug, three OS #8's in a thirty minuet time span. At someones suggestion I pulled the head to check for the dreaded piston sleeve plating flaking off. I problem I understand that was supposed to be corrected a few years ago. Yep, there was the culprit. I went from the field directly to the hobby shop. They called Great Planes to get permission to replace the engine, and was told no send it in and in two or three weeks I'd get it back repaired. Well after that few flights, I expected a replacement on the spot, Not wait another three weeks to fly a plane I spent all winter building. I could understand if the plane had several dozen flights on it but not less than ten. I feel that Great Planes should replace the engine since this was a problem of the manufacturer. It would also be nice if they replaced at least one or two of those expensive OS #8 glow plugs That burned because of this problem with the engine

So I am asking for too much, This engine was hardly broke in at less than 10 flights. I own some where in the neighborhood of twenty OS engines, but I think that TT may start getting my business if OS does not have better customer service than this. By the way this is the ONLY time I have ever needed Customer Service from them and I am sorely disappointed

Terry
Old 04-27-2003, 12:55 PM
r1morris
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When it comes to service many retail or mail order companies are given stock answers when it comes to giving a purchaser information. There are several reasons for this. As you have stated the engine was used for a few months. OS engines I'm sure wants to examine the failure of the plating and see how many other engines come back the same way. The best way to ensure quality control and maintain high manufacturing standards is to get your engine to the repair center. Rest assured OS engines will return to you an engine with zero defects. In many instances they just send you a new engine. Under the warranty statement they state that they will fix the engine. fixing can include replacement. This is a decision the OS service center must reach. Be patient and see what they do before judging what they may or may not do. Being upset with the representative on the phone for statements made just results in frustration.
Keep this thread open and let us know what happens.
Old 04-27-2003, 01:43 PM
den1tjb

I feel the same way. Just recently actually, I had a piston rod bushing come to pieces on a Thunder Tiger .46, totally destroying the crankcase, piston, and intake/exhaust ports. As I ordered it from tower, I called them to see if they would replace it, but they gave me the same runaround. I had to send it back to the TT distributor (ace hobbies) in CA. r1morris is right, you will most likely get a brand new one back, and OS will be able to keep this from happening in future engines.
Old 04-27-2003, 02:34 PM
TTARK

Default It was not several months old

This engine was on my plane less than a week, only 6 or 7 flights. I understand that they wanted the engine back to see what caused the problem. However, this was a problem with past versions of this engine. I just dont think I should be without my engine for several weeks while they check it out, not a new engine this new. They certainly did not wait several weeks for me to pay for it. If this engine were several months old, had several dozen flights etc. then I could understand having to send it in and wait. But for an engine that was only on the plane for a week, well I still feel that this is poor customer service. I will now consider something that I have not considered in some 20 years in this hobby, that is a two stroke engine other than OS

Terry
Old 04-27-2003, 03:42 PM
Deadeye

Terry, I don't blame ya a bit. It should've been replaced with a new one. I hear the Magnums are a good OS alternative also. If you want to try a TT, I can vouche for them. I love my 61. Smoothest running engine I have ever owned. Thunder Tiger is getting something right, and the price just can't be beat. Check out one of the last RCMs. They do a review of 10 .60 size engines, and the TT is the best bang for the buck. And the Tower Hobbies came in second.
Old 04-27-2003, 08:24 PM
ShempHoward
My Feedback: (3)

If it peeled that quickly I would be inclined to think that it was user error and you ran it too lean or broke it in improperly HOWEVER it still should not have happened.

My experiences with OS peeling engines has been that over time
it can happen especially given that they continue to be very very sensitive to peeling from lean runs that would not bother a true ABC engine.

When it happened to me, and others, repair or replacement usually took up to 3-4 weeks.
So thats par for the course unless you could get your LHS to give you a new engine and let them wait for the "replacement"?
Old 04-27-2003, 08:53 PM
pinball-RCU

Default Re: OS ebgine Support. Am I being unreasonable??

So guys am I being unreasonable??
Since you asked, I'd say yes. The time to check how the warrantee works is BEFORE you buy the engine. Stuff happens. Relax. Let the system work. You say you have 15 other OS engines, and who knows how many other brands? What's the big hurry?

Seriously, instant gratification is expensive, and the only way a company can pay for your instant gratification is for me to pay higher prices.

On the other hand, it's your money, and if you see an engine that says on the box, "Instant replacement if you're not satisfied," then you should buy it.
Old 04-27-2003, 08:57 PM
TimC

Is it possible to have one of these liners hard-chromed? Or would that be too expensive?
Old 04-27-2003, 09:12 PM
TTARK

It was broken in exactly as the instructions indicate, like I said I have 15 OS engines in various sizes including three of the .46 FX's and never had a problem with any of them. It was not run lean, if any thing I tend to run rich until it has a gallon or more of fuel through it. I do Feel that since it only had 6 or 7 flights on it then they should have authorized a replacement, And in my opinion should replace at least one or two of the glow plug that it ate as well
Terry
Old 04-27-2003, 09:48 PM
Boeing
My Feedback: (145)

Ah Yes, another victum of today's society that is affeclicked with the 'McDonald's Snydrome'.
The 'McDonald's Snydrome' is that idea that if I what something, I must have it right now!!
Relax!! the system will work for you if you let it. I am a heavy user of the OS engines, both 2 stroke and 4 and have been quite pleased with the response from their service department.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:49 PM
Ernie Misner

>>> Is it possible to have one of these liners hard-chromed? Or would that be too expensive?...................

Tim, you can get them from Performance Specialties or you can get an ABC liner and sleeve from a Leo engine that is a drop in fit. Just Engines sells them for that very purpose....:-)

Ernie
Old 04-27-2003, 09:50 PM
ShempHoward
My Feedback: (3)

You really did not need to post this story in 3 dfferent forums. It only belongs in one - per the rules. I understand your position as I have been there but 3-4 weeks is the standard waiting period with Hobby Services.
You are not being treated any different than the rest of us who had this problem.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:55 PM
TimC

Thanks Ernie
Old 04-28-2003, 03:37 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

You say the lining in the sleeve flaked off. I can just imagine how many people abuse and destroy engines and then blame O.S. or whoever manufactured it. I think they do have a right to see the engine and verify your claim first. Don't worry , they are good to deal with. I know it is frustrating, especially when the airplane is brand new, but I don't think a few weeks is unreasonable. Perhaps if you call them and add a "person" to the engine, they will expedite your replacement.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:29 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

Default Piston/sleeve

I bought a piston and liner/sleeve on a dutch auction on e-bay. These were made [I think] by Saturn Hobby or something like that. They are supposed to be ceramic coated. I don't know what it is but it sure works and was a lot cheaper than factory parts.[ my experience with hobby services has not been positive]. The video magazine [name??] had a very good article on it a year or so ago. I don't think you could go wrong with the parts from Just Engines either.
Fred
Old 04-28-2003, 02:32 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am guessing that they will replace it, not fix it there. I can see your frustration, but you have to realize all the people that trash an engine and want it replaced now. They have to be able to see it and make sure you didn't crash it and fill it with sand or something like that so they can take care of it. I have seen people bring engines back to my hobby shop when I had it for refund after they crashed it and broke it. You have to see their point.

If you have others, use one of them till you get it back. I know it is a pain, but sometimes that happens. At least they are taking care of the problem and not telling you it is your problem like some engine companies.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:05 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

I think a "few weeks" is completely unreasonable to check out a claim and come up with a solution. At the most, a few DAYS is all it should take. At that point a phone call is in order to the end user to let them know what the outcome was.

So figure a few days for shipping it back and a few days for review, a WEEK is the most I would accept.

If I told one of my customers who brought back a defective product that it was going to take 3 weeks to get back to them??? I don't think I'd have to worry about that customer for long.

You should have had an answer by now.

Mike
Old 04-28-2003, 03:49 PM
Unstable

think of it from their end.

they do not know you, they do not know your experiance, they dont know how that engine was treated.

for all they know you could have been running it 2 turns too lean with fuel siphoned off the garage floor, running a 4x2 prop at full throttle.

I know its a fact that alot of repairs that come into all sorts of shops are due to "user error" and almost all the time its "I didnt do anything to it" or "it just stopped working" very rarely does the guy that dropped it down the stairs acually admit to it.

defects do happen and I am sure that OS will honor thier warrenty, its just that they have to determine what caused the failure (shouldnt be too hard) then ship out a replacement.

you figure 3-4 days to get there, a day in processing (unpacking, filling out forms, cataloging etc etc, a day on the techs bench, a day to get the new engine boxed and shipped and another 3-4 days to get back to you.

thats at best 9 days. now imagine what the workload is with all those people that dont know how to tune an engine sending theirs in for repairs. now its sits on that tech "inbox" for a few days, and problems with paperwork, people calling out sick, etc etc. and 2-3 weeks isnt that bad.

just be patient. cutting through the red tape when dealing with any company takes time, you rush it things get messed up.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:41 PM
TTARK

I understand that they do not know me, but the local Hobby Shop does and they are the ones who called Hobby Services. Just a little background, I have been flying since 1969 and was taught by Joe Bridi at the old BIRD club in Long Beach California.

This engine was broke in exactly by the book, with one exception, they call for two tanks for break-in (leaning out for two mins then richen for 2 mins) I did three tanks. I like to be careful. After break in I flew four flights on the fifth I dead sticked, tried to restart and found a dead glow plug, changed it tried to start and burned a glow plug, Someone at the field suggested I pull the head and check the plating as this was a problem in this engine's earlier version, and we found the flaking. So again had this engine had several dozen flights then I would have no problem sending it in and waiting. I do have a problem waitng on an engine this new. Like I said I have been flying for many years and never needed OS customer service before now and I am very disappointed with it.

Terry
Old 04-28-2003, 06:43 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

I hear the Magnums are a good OS alternative also.
Sorry to be so blunt, but that's baloney! You are not comparing apples to apples.

I've had 11 OS engines with only 100% satisfaction.
I've had to mess with several students Magnums with 0% satisfaction.

Just venting some frustration from messing with students engines for hours rather than flying. My flying time is more valuable than that.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:56 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I fully understand your frustration. When it comes down to it, you have to play their games when it comes to warrenty work. I bet none of the other companies do it any different.

I bought a new dodge truck a couple years ago. It has been in the shop more than out. You wouldn't believe the stuff they have had to change. I tried to get them to replace it, that was like talking to a wall. You can either deal with it, or go with a different brand. When it all comes down to it, they all will treat you pretty much the same way when they already have your money.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:04 PM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This sounds like the same problem I had - except with a brand spanking new computer radio. Long ago I bought a Florio Stuntwagon and needed a computer radio - so I bought one. The thing ranged checked ok, so into the air I went - and went out of control about half the time. I did manage to get the plane on the ground in one piece and called for service. I was told that normally they would replace the radio because it was brand new, but because I had pulled it out of the box to use it and actually see if it was defective, it had to be repaired. I said let me get this straight - if I left it in the box and sent it back because it was defective, you would send me a new one, but because I had to take it out of the box to see if would actually work, the replacement was off and I would have to have it fixed. OK. But don't worry, they would expedite repair - a week or less. Yup, new plane - new engine - and a new radio in for repair. Four weeks later I got the radio back - there was a cold solder joint in the Rx. I now buy as little as possibe from them.

It even gets better though - two more computer radios later - same brand - one has a design defect - broken solder joints - and my 35% Carden Extra goes into the ground. Now while I again didn't get instant gratification, they fixed the Tx, Rx, Servos, replaced extentions and switches - and gave me @ $1,600.00 in new Tx/Rx Servo stuff.

Dan
Old 04-29-2003, 01:08 AM
YNOT

Yes, you are being unreasonable.

They have the option of what to do, replace or repair, not yours.

The Hobby Shop is under no obligation to exchange the motor out for you.

In most cases, Hobby Services does replace the motor. They replaced one for me, and in the repair paperwork, they told me I smoked the motor. I thought that was EXCELLENT service.