Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

My Workshop Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:11 PM
flyingvranch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Workshop Pictures

I know this has been beat to death already, but I wanted to share some pictures of my new workshop. It's dedicated for airplane building. I built it myself as a 20x24 foot addition onto my house. It's nice to be able to walk directly into the house and still be a part of the family activities while building. Keeps the wife happy also.

My workshop has over 60 running feet of workbench. It also has it's own separate 100 amp electrical service panel. I have over 52 outlets in one room! I have outlets spaced at 3 foot intervals all the way around the room with many others dedicated for fixed equipment. The shop has central A/C and heat for climate control. I built one main bench at stand-up height, while the others are at sit-down height, which I prefer. I have an outside access door which allows me to assemble my large planes inside and then just walk outside to my airstrip.

I also built an office which you can just see in a few of the pics. I do all of my designing and drafting, plans drawing, computer work, and parts ordering etc. from there. I can just shut the door and keep that area clean of dust. It's nice to look out the window at my airstrip across the ranch. I have a Davis weather station installed with the sensors out at the airstrip which transmits wirelessly 1/2 mile back to my office so I can check on the winds. I even set up my own webpage with the weather data real time for my flying friends. http://flyingvranch.awardspace.com/weatherindex.html

Still to be constructed is a 8x8 foot center island with tool drawers and balsa storage underneath. I'm just using a small table for the moment while I take a breather from construction work.

I have waited 35 years for this shop and after much skimping through the years I finally got the opportunity to build it. I enjoy construction and cabinet building which added to the fun. I have been collecting pictures of various workshops for many years and that helps a lot in the planning stages.
Thanks for looking!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20182.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	915252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62853.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	915253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49352.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	915254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp40354.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	915255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz30375.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	915256  
Old 03-28-2008, 07:28 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: My Workshop Pictures

That's GORGEOUS. Looks really well thought out and, as you say, built with the modeler in mind. Well done!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is a very fine workshop! Congratulations on realizing your dream.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:39 AM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

Beautiful setup!
zx32tt
Old 03-28-2008, 12:10 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

I would like to state, for the record:

I'm Jealous!

Well done, very nice shop.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:15 PM
flyingvranch

Thanks for all the kind remarks! Now if I can just find the stuff that I "organized"! []
Old 03-28-2008, 06:10 PM
weathervane

That looks so sweet. Very well thought out. 52 outlets, that is perfect.

-Andrew
Old 03-28-2008, 06:37 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grteat looking shop and will be perfect once you get that center bench built. I also have a center bench 4x8 that has freedom of movement vertically as well horizontally. One suggestion for your consideration. At one or both ends of the center bench I had built a shelf about 24 inches high 18 inches wide. On this I set my finished fuselages in an adjustable rack to hold them at comfortable height for installing gear or making repairs. very handy.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:19 PM
flyingvranch

Not a bad idea about the center bench shelf. Thanks!
Old 03-28-2008, 08:42 PM
reincarnate

That's it. I'm filing a grievance. There is no sense in having a workshop that clean and organized. Makes the rest of us look bad. I mean really, what fun would building be if you didn't have to wander around talking to yourself, convinced that you had some 3" tires somewhere.

You have a beautiful setup. I admire your organization skills.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:26 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: flyingvranch

I know this has been beat to death already, but I wanted to share some pictures of my new workshop.
The subject of workshops can never be beat to death! A good workshop is the key to enjoying modleing IMHO. Mine shares half a two car garage.

Name:	Yv66179.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	916369  
Old 03-30-2008, 03:57 PM
flyingvranch

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

ORIGINAL: flyingvranch

I know this has been beat to death already, but I wanted to share some pictures of my new workshop.
The subject of workshops can never be beat to death! A good workshop is the key to enjoying modleing IMHO. Mine shares half a two car garage.

Thanks for uploading your shop pictures Red! In fact, I have saved several pictures of your shop over the last several months. I am trying to figure out what I want to do about a dedicated electrical work area in one part of my shop. I am probably going to use a bench and shelf arrangement like yours. I want to be able to keep all of my batteries, cables, soldering irons and test equipment out for use at any time without having to dig in a box looking for an hour like before. By the time I found it I forgot what I needed it for!
Old 03-30-2008, 04:14 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

You don't need a whole lot of space for your "electrical" work. 6 feet should do it nicely if you lay it out right and make good use of the space. With 6 feet you have room for that old computer you can use for data logger with some of the chargers/balancers available to us now.

Name:	Yw66623.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	917673  
Old 04-02-2008, 02:40 PM
CapeFearFlyer

Nice setup, Here are a few pictures of my shop. I got mos of my idea's from other guy's
Old 04-02-2008, 02:46 PM
CapeFearFlyer

Hey Rancher, what kind of weather station do you have?
Old 04-02-2008, 08:04 PM
flyingvranch

I have a Davis Vantage Pro II wireless. It transmits on 433mhz. I did extensive research before deciding on the Davis.
Avantages;
Top of the line equipment used by many goverment and university facilities etc. Extremely accurate and well made sensors.
Best transmission range by far. Out of the box stock ,I get 1/2 mile range through some pretty thick trees. If I used a repeater I could get unlimited miles!
Good but not great software that fill my needs well.
Disadvantges;
Kinda pricy at around $730.00 for everything.