Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Checkerboard

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 10:11 AM
jpf5911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checkerboard

I will soon be covering a Sig 4* and am considering putting black and white checkerboard on the leading edge and bottom of the wing (lime green on the rest of the plane!!).

The local hobby shop has a small checkerboard trim sheet, but I want bigger "checks". Also, is a stick on trim sheet the only option or is there some other way to go?

Thanks,

JPF
Old 10-01-2002, 10:37 AM
PDuck

Default Checkerboard

I added checkerboard to the bottom of my Tower Uproar. After covering the plane with the base color of Monokote I cut out 4 in. squares for the wing and 2 1/2 in. squares for the stab. Apply the Monokote squares with low heat and go slow so it does not bubble. Mine turned out great. Hope this helps. PDuck
Old 10-01-2002, 10:45 AM
SloFlight

Default Ultracote

Hangar-9 Ultracote makes b&w checker covering in 1" and 1/2" squares.

FYI
Old 10-02-2002, 07:43 AM
jpf5911

Default Checkerboard

Hmmm, just so I understand:

If I cut my own squares, or use something like the Hangar 9 Ultracoat, would I be ironing the checks over another covering? I assume a careful ironing job over another covering would work, but the checkerboard could not be the primary covering because when you blast it with the heat gun it will shrink all over the place won't it?

Thanks,

JPF
Old 10-02-2002, 12:38 PM
SloFlight

Default Utracote

Check out this link, doesnt show it very well, but gives you a good Idea of how it is constructed. The checkered ultracote is exactly like regular ultracote, except instead of having a single color as the "pigment layer" it is checkered.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...930&pc=HANU930