Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

For sale adds

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Taildragger
My Feedback: (204)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For sale adds

Guys, I have something to get off my chest. I don't do a whole lot of posting but have been a member for a few yrs now. When I'm searching the sale adds for something I need I'm always looking for a good deal but I do not insult the seller with unrealistic offers. If I make a counter offer it's usually not more than 10% or less from the asking price and if I think it's allready priced right I'll just pay the asking price. Why are there always people making unsolicited comments about your item or making offers that they know will be refused. I don't get it. I'm always open to offers but please keep it reasonable. Am I the only one that feels this way? Bill
Old 04-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: For sale adds

Bill,

No, you are not alone. It is just the way it is. Call it human nature I guess. People really want to wheel and deal, especially when they are doing it through their keyboard and not face to face. I love it when you put no trades will be accaepted and then they start offering you trades for stuff you would never want in a million years. You have to just see the humor in it. A buddy of mine sells a lot of stuff here on RCU. He could write a book with some of the questions, offers, and comments he has received. It is not just you that gets them.

The upshot is if you hold out long enough, you usually get fair market value for your stuff.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:51 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Just use the low ball shield.
This eliminates a lot of unnecessary replies.

Greg
Old 04-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Taildragger

It doesn't either. They just ask seller a question and it comes right through. I guess I lost a sale today because One guy wanted me to call him and after the conversation he decided he wanted the items and I told him to place the offers. After a couple hrs and an offer from another member that I declined the first guy changed his mind and now no reply from the second guy. It's aggravating. I think I may just start sticking to swap meets.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:35 PM
pcm

Taildragger,

When I sell something it is first come first serve. I would of told the guy over the phone that is great but you better hurry and make the offer because "first come first serve."

As far as the lowballers go....Well there will always be bottom feeders, someone has to keep the tank clean.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There will always be people that want something for nothing and that will say anything to justify their assinine offers. The internet grants them power they have nowhere else on earth.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:48 PM
OldRookie

Taildrager,

The low ball bid blocking didn't seem to work for my Futaba 7 2.4 Ghz system I have for sale.
You would think when they couldn't place a bid lower than your low price shield the people wouldn't bother. Now they send me a separate email asking if I would accept less than advertised.

Oh Well[&o]

Greg
Old 04-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Taildragger

That's what I mean, There's no way to stop them totally. And like I said before, I don't mind dickering if you keep it within reason. I spend my hard earned money on this stuff and have no intentions of just giving it away.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Darkbird
My Feedback: (7)

I guess I'm one of those people who drive you nuts. I have never had a problem making low offers on stuff. And I would happily low-ball you to your face at a swap. In some cases it's the only way I can afford some of the things in this hobby. People wouldn't make the offers if it wasn't for the fact that sometimes someone says "yes". Sometimes you'll find that a person just wants to unload an item quickly so that they don't have to deal with it anymore and they'll let it go cheap. And don't forget, you can always say no. Lowball offers are the price you pay for selling in a public setting. If your getting angry or offended, your taking things way too seriously. Don't let it get to you, I doubt anyone is trying to insult you personally.
Now, just so you know how I handle things when I'm buying or selling, Here's the guidlines I use both online and at swaps.
1. All items have 3 prices:What it's worth, what the seller wants for it, what the buyer will give for it. Please note that these often have little or nothing to do with each other.
2. The price on the tag is a starting point. If I'm selling something, I always price higher than what I really want. Sometimes you get the extra money, sometimes you get talked down below what you wanted for it.
3. There is no such thing as an "insulting" offer. Since the seller has final control whether they sell or not, they can simply say no to any offer they find unacceptable. If your getting offended, your not likely to be someone who I want to deal with anyway.

I just had someone buy a plane from me at Toledo. I gave them a ridiculously good deal, mostly because I didn't know what kit the plane was or if/how well the engine ran. Once I finished getting setup, I went around the swap and low and behold there was my plane with a fresh tag on it for more than three times the amount I had sold it to the guy for. Turned out he knew what kit it was and it was rather rare. And yes , I was mad for a minute or two, then I realized I could have said no. So I joked with the guy about it for a couple minutes and let it go.
I know I'll likely get flamed for this as most of the previous posts are going the other way in this thread, but that's fine. Sorry for the length of this.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:11 AM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Taildragger

That's what I mean, There's no way to stop them totally. And like I said before, I don't mind dickering if you keep it within reason. I spend my hard earned money on this stuff and have no intentions of just giving it away.
Something to consider is that if you're getting nothing but low ball bids, you've priced your item too high--regardless of what original price you paid for it. Remember something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Darkbird
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: js3

Something to consider is that if you're getting nothing but low ball bids, you've priced your item too high--regardless of what original price you paid for it. Remember something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay.
Darn it, I knew there was one I was forgetting[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 04-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go into a department or hardware store and make the same type of offers...
Old 04-10-2008, 02:20 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pat Roy

Go into a department or hardware store and make the same type of offers...
If the item is "used", I do.
I have also made low offers on new items at retail stores (independants), and had my offer accepted.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Taildragger

Not to get political, but I get offended at nothing. I do not overprice my items. I go by what the market has been doing and usually price lower so it will sell. It's just a waste of time. And at a swap meet when it does happen I just say Move along son, you bother me!
Old 04-10-2008, 07:14 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

A friend of mine had a large sign posted on his table that read MONEY TALKS B--- S--- WALKS. Fill in the blanks.
Fred
Old 04-15-2008, 10:32 PM
rcpilot_971
My Feedback: (50)

some pepole seem to think they should be able to sell there stuff on RCU for the what stuff sells for on ebay and that is not going to happen I remember back in the day hear on the old RCU you could find great deals all day long pepole just wanted to get rid of there stuff now it seems like there are to many guys trying to buy stuff and resell it for a profit

Tim
Old 04-16-2008, 03:10 AM
Taildragger

I think if you ck what few adds I have on here the prices do not reflect your statement! Bill
Old 04-16-2008, 09:49 AM
jgunpilot

Two types of questions from buyers bother me as an E-bay seller. 1) The guy who has to know your reserve price before he''ll bid. 2) The guy who asks how much to end the auction early.

The first case bothers me because on some thinly traded items, I set a reserve price to protect myself from selling a $150 item for 99 cents. If a buyer wants to know the reserve price, they should bid what they think is fair, then wait to see if they get the item. The second case bugs me because they''re trying to circumvent the E-bay system, and also because they NEVER come through and finish the deal.

Then there are the guys who ask for a n international shipping quote when the item clearly states "US only." I''d ship internationally, but it really isn''t worth the hassle of going to the PO and filling out all the Customs forms.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

Talk about annoying. I just had a guy make me an offer on some stuff and I accepted and marked them sold. I didn't hear from him for a day so I emailed him and three days later he replied that he found them cheaper on ebay so he bought those instead. Guess I will repost. I wish people would just do what they say they are going to do.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:01 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I usually get offers on stuff I sell and usually make offers on stuff I buy. You don't know if you don't ask. I just bought a tractor that the guy was asking 25 grand for. I offered him 18,000 and he took it. He wanted to get rid of it. He could have countered, but he didn't. You have to start somewhere. I usually won't insult someone with an offer, but you find the bottom fast.

Most of the time in the real world, if you have cash, you can do so much better in most cases. ON a truck once I did very well, they wanted my old truck and 24 grand, I said no way, 10 grand and my truck, they said no. I started to walk out because it was a fair deal at 10 grand and my truck and they asked me to wait. They brought out the manager and came back 1000 dollars lower on their offer. I said thanks but no, they would sell my old truck for 25 grand in no time and 10 plus my truck was fair. He said no, so I said thanks and started to leave. He asked if that was my final offer and I said yes. He asked if it would be cash and I said yes. He said "ok, lets do it today." I left with the new one.

If you are selling, deal with the offers or put that the price is firm. That usually ends low offers.