Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Don't Answer Cell Phone While Flying!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Don't Answer Cell Phone While Flying!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 02:49 PM
AdrianM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't Answer Cell Phone While Flying!

A couple of weekends ago a guy at our club was flying his trainer. He is a fairly competent pilot that has been flying solo for a little over a year. There were about 5 planes in the air and everyone was flying safely.

After about 5 minutes of flying his cell phone rings. He makes sure his plane is flying level, looks at his belt phone holder, picks up his phone, looks at who's calling, answers the call and looks back up at the spot where his plane was a few seconds ago...

He finds a plane in the air and after a few seconds calls out that he has a problem. The plane in not doing what he tells it to do. At the same time guys in the pits are screaming and pointing at a plane in a death spiral about 100 yards past the runway...

When the pilot reacquired his plane it wasn't his plane at all! Luckily no one got hurt and the plane was repaired and back at the field next Sunday. This could have been a bad situation if the plane had drifted over the pits or parking lot.

This story is absolutely true and teaches us 2 very important points:

1. Leave you phone in the Pits!

2. Never take your eyes off YOUR aircraft!
Old 04-30-2003, 03:07 PM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh relax

That guy just hasnt learned the finer points of multi-tasking yet. I think he should practice more.

For instance, I know a guy that can talk on his phone, smoke a cancer stick and manage to keep his bird in the air all at the same time

Cheers.
James
Old 04-30-2003, 03:11 PM
miniracer

never taking your eyes off the plane is right. a few people i know got their planes "eaten" by trees.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:15 PM
egor

Hi Fellas:

Got a dose of this myself last fall, DON'T LEAVE YOUR PHONE IN THE PITS, LEAVE IT IN THE CAR TURNED OFF.

A friend and I were setting on the tailgate of my blazer taking a break and beating our gums.( you know talking) and his phone rings. after he's on the phone about (5) min. I decide to fuel up and have a flight and at about that time one of the other guys is starting his plane up and turns on the radio and nothing is working right. I go over to see what's going on and his memory is completly erased, everyone else starts checking radio memory mine and 4 other are all blank the one farthest from the phone call was 75 ft. It's not the call that screws things up it the ring signal it amplified way up.

egor
Old 04-30-2003, 11:35 PM
Live Wire

I just read where a person flys , talks on phone,smokes a cancer stick and flys !!! Who's he trying to kill, Keep him away from our flying field, thank you.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:46 PM
Live Wire

Boy did he get bent out of shape (must have been his wife)
Old 05-01-2003, 05:50 PM
Aero330LX
My Feedback: (-1)

Default Phones

I'll go even this far...leave that phone turned on and cause a crash and you just bought an airplane! It's no different than if you shot it down with your Tx. If you have a 300 dollar airplane, you might not be too concerned about leaving it on, but if you shoot a 5-10,000 dollar airplane down with it, and pay for it, you just might! Take a look at my avitar...wanna buy that one because of a cell phone ring? ...It'll cost BIG money! Like was said...leave them off...best place for them is at home. If your too busy to leave it at home, you're too busy to be flying models at the field. I have a phone, and I don't want the damned thing bothering me or anyone else at the field...I can't imagine why anyone else would either.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:06 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Are you guys serious?

There is another thread on here talking about interference from cell phones.

As was concluded over in that thread, by some RF guys, our radios are not on cell phone frequencies.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:12 PM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

Add to that, the fact that some of us have actively TRIED to wipe out model memories
on our radios without success. I did manage to get a glitch when I called
the phone, with it laying ON TOP of the receiver. That's about it.

Some people don't understand the fact that a lot of folk are oncall 24/7.
I guess they think we don't deserve to fly, because of it

I'm sure we're not far away from someone stalling their plane in and claiming
the nearest cellphone is to blame, though. That's the way things go these days.

Don't get me wrong. If someone ever showed conclusive evidence that they are
a danger at the field, I would certainly manage to be unavailable during my flying time.
I just don't see the point, and don't see the danger of it hurting anything as it stands.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:22 PM
Frankenthumb
My Feedback: (2)

I help design, test, and troubleshoot RF transmitters and recievers for a living.

It is inconceivable that a cell phone would interfere with our radios.

We have a sniffer at our field that we occasionally set up to monitor our frequencys. We have guys at the field using all types of phones, all day long. We have yet to see ANY interference on ANY of our channels, from ANY source.

As was stated in the other thread, is IS possible, though unlikely, that an out of tune and amplified CB radio could (under the right conditions) cause interference.

Frank
Old 05-01-2003, 07:27 PM
Frankenthumb

I guess I should qualify the above statement by saying that a cell phone could interfere with the OPERATOR of said phone, just not with his RC transmitter.

Also, I don't believe for one second that 5 radios were "erased" simultaniously. If you really believe that, maybe you should call agents Mulder and Scully and have them open a X-File for you. Or maybe you fly near Area 51?

Frank
Old 05-01-2003, 07:43 PM
mtthomps

Dittos Frankenthumb, erasure of a eeprom requires specialized electronics and an exact sequence of commands. It's like saying, "Gee I was using my cell phone, and suddenly the Word document I was working on erased every word that starts with the letter 'G'!!" If that kind of interference were possible, then I would say that it would have been designed out of the systems long ago. Wait a minute, IT WAS!!!!.

If I am on call, or I know I am about to get a phone call while flying, I carry my earpiece plugged into my ear, and set my phone to auto answer when the headset is plugged in. I do not have to touch it, it will answer for me. I do not, however, perform anything but slow circles above the field while talking.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:54 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Another good reason to leave the cell phone off while flying:

When you cut out of work early to get to the field.......

Bossman, "Where were you, I tried to call"
(In)Subordinate, "I must have been in a dead spot.....I didn't get a call...."

Mike
Old 05-01-2003, 08:21 PM
TomM

I'm on call some weekends. I'm sure any pilot can find someone in the pits to answer the phone and call out for said pilot to land.

I'm going to put my phone on the spectrum analyzer tomorrow and see what kind of EMI comes from the piezo ringer.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:22 PM
Frankenthumb

The more I think about it, it doesn't seem all that unlikely that an out of tune and illegally amplified CB could cause a glitch in our recievers.

Hmmmm, that's actually kinda scary.

But NO WAY could it erase an eeprom. No way.

Frank
Old 05-01-2003, 08:32 PM
TomM

Frank, I'm sure they could. I remember the cb fad in the 70's- everyone had a high power amp. I actually heard transmissions come over TVs, PA systems, guitar amplifiers, juke boxes, and TOASTERS!
Old 05-01-2003, 08:45 PM
Frankenthumb

Why do we have to answer a ringing phone anyway? If it's important they'll leave a message. Just tell them you were "indisposed". That's not even a lie!!

Frank
Old 05-01-2003, 09:11 PM
Rick 9d

Wives tales like this phone non-sense crack me up.

Rick - AE9D
Old 05-01-2003, 09:17 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Kind of a funny forum. I am sure someone read my responce on the other one and felt they had to explain it.

I know there are a lot of people who think that cell phones can shoot down a plane, but from everything I have read and seen and done and from what any one else in the electronic field has said, it can't happen. I hear stories of a ringer on a cell phone wiping out all the radios at the field. I have also heard a story about a guy who put a jato bottle on top of an impalla. It is one of those mythical stories that everyone tells as if it happene, but end up not being true.

I agree with the first post, taking your eye off the plane is a bad idea in any case. I have seen people crash trimming for the same reason. They couldn't trim without looking down, and when they look back up, the plane is gone.

Moral of the story, keep your eye on the plane. As far as the cell phone, don't talk on it while you are smoking and putting on your makeup and driving all at the same time. You wouldn't belive how many times I have seen that. Don't worry about it at the field. If it distracts you that much when someones phone rings, you probably shouldn't be flying because there are a lot of other noises including other planes starting that may distract you just as much.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:24 PM
Tippie

To repeat my answer in another thread about cell phones. The problem with cell phones is inattention not interference.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:45 PM
Aero330LX

Originally posted by FLYBOY
Kind of a funny forum. I am sure someone read my responce on the other one and felt they had to explain it.

I hear stories of a ringer on a cell phone wiping out all the radios at the field. I have also heard a story about a guy who put a jato bottle on top of an impalla. It is one of those mythical stories that everyone tells as if it happene, but end up not being true.

Stories huh? guess you don't believe alot of things before you investigate them. I also guess you don't believe anything you don't believe just because you yourself have not seen it! If you want to see a JATO on an IMPALA send me an e-mail...I can send you video from the local dragstrip...it's been done many times! As far as 'mythical stories' hope you get that idea out of your head soon...you may realize there is more than your brain could handle at that point in time. Lesson...keep an open mind and you may learn something!
Old 05-01-2003, 10:11 PM
TomM

I've been in the RF/Microwave design-testing-manufacturing field for 25 years. Lemme tellya.....when it comes to RFI, there are no absolutes. I'll use a cell phone around the flight line, but I'm not going to tape one to the back of a tranmitter just to see what happens. The near-field spurs are why they're banned from all hospitals.

But anyway, they can't be as bad as taking a non-resistive plug wire from your distributor, attaching the other end to a rusty nail poking through half a coffee can and aiming it at a plane. 20,000 volts of wide-band noise through a directive reflector.....arh Arh ARH!!!!
Been known to knock out police radar guns from 500 feet.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:12 PM
Aero330LX

Thought since I put that lst post up, I'd say a little more...do a search on the showtime jet dragster...you'll be in for treat!
Old 05-01-2003, 10:20 PM
Frankenthumb

Open mind?

Learn something?

Pot? Kettle? Black?

I also guess you don't believe anything you don't believe just because you yourself have not seen it!
Not eloquently stated, but you're right, I don't believe anything that I don't believe. Yogi Berra couldn't have said it better.

Frank
Old 05-01-2003, 10:21 PM
SALMONBUG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

about abnormal waves propagation.....

One day I was at 30 west inbound to chicago. the bird was a 747/300. My 9 years old neveu was on board. I was the flight engineer on duty on that flight. One of my task was to make the positions report to gandher. This was not a very good day for HF transmissions that day, and comunication was very difficult. My neveu was playing with a game boy in the cockpit. each time he switched the game boy on, the quality in HF reception increased. When the game boy was off, I was reading gandher poorly, when the game boy was ON I was reading gandher loud and clear.

What I describe above is something impossible, but it really hapened
I think that we have still plenty of things to learn above wave prop and electromagnetic interactions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.