Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Is it just me...rude question

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Is it just me...rude question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 09:36 PM
KingCobra2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is it just me...rude question

Great idea!!!!!!!!! Make copies>> I will do that from now on>lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Scott
ORIGINAL: Herb Calvin

I keep a list of material purchased that is in my field box. I just hand it to however asked.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:45 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

My first response is always... "A lot".....then I go from there[8D]
Old 01-17-2007, 12:54 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just love the guy who asks the question, but when you tell him how much it costs--he just shakes his head like your a nut for spending so much on a toy airplane.

Thats when I ask him if he went elk hunting last year. "Well sure!!" And then I ask him how many hunting rifles he's got. "Well, lessee, I got a 30-378 Browning, a 30-06 Remmington, a 300 Win Mag, and a Weatherby 270 Magnum."

MMM HMM And you think I'm an idiot for spending $1500 on an airplane? How BAD a shot ARE you there buddy? You got 4 or 5 guns--ya only need 1 friggin' bullet to kill an elk if you know what your doing.

I'll bet you golf too. And your wife has a $3500 composite mountain bike with disk brake rotors the size of a small Hyundai.

It just kills me how people judge us on the money we spend on this hobby. It beats the hell outta drinking yourself silly every night in the local pub and then coming home to your family and their all in bed. It beats the hell out of a bad crack habit.

And it sure beats elk huntin'--thats too much work. I can stand in one spot and fly my plane. You gotta hike up and down them mountains in the freezing rain and snow to kill an animal with a gun you paid $1000 for and spent $75 on a tag. If you manage to kill it--you get to cut it up and pack it out. Then you get to send the head to the Division of Wildlife to make sure that this beast doesn't have Chronic Wasting Disease and it's actually safe to feed to your kids. Then if the DOW says it's okay to eat--you get to pay a processor a few hundred to cut it up and bag it for ya. Did I mention the week off work you took so you could go huntin'?

Yeah-- us airplane guys are idiots. [sm=lol.gif]

And the guy with the $40,000 bass boat that he had to finance? --he only gets to use it 6 months outta the year--but he still gets to write that payment check in February while his boat sits in the driveway all covered with snow and ice.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:03 AM
donhef

Last september, my Club was involved in a yearly community event where we were not only showing some of our aircraft, but also taking folks up for a "test drive" on my trainer with a buddy box. One of the first questions that was asked from 7 out of 10 people was "How much do they cost?". Myself and the other Members present were very upfront and explained how my initial trainer set up cost about $365.00 (Avistar, radio, engine) and then also went on to give the cost of joining a Club, getting membership in AMA, acquiring the odds and ends of a field box and the impliments of building/repair. Of those folks that asked, I got quite a few raised eyebrows and frowns, but then we also had quite a few takers that went ahead and took the tryout flight. I must say though that most of the negative looks came from the parents of all the kids that immediately told them that they wanted to buy one for themselves.

It was at that point that we took the parents to the side and told them about park flyers and how they are not really expensive and that for an investment of about $70.00 to $90.00 they could get their youngster one and let them work on it. If they got good and retained the initial interest and kept working on their skills, we told them that this was better than having them sit around the house all day in front of a computer screen/TV playing video games and in the long run, cheaper. That helped alot. After that, our Member that owns the local hobby shop informed us that he had a huge rise in the amount of electrics that he was selling! So it wasn't a total waste. Also, since we were just granted flying rights in the same park where we held our show, we'll not only be seeing these fledgling pilots, but since they must have AMA membership to fly at the field (per AMA and the Park Department) we'll most likely have them joining our Club.

So, look at the question as an invitation to encouraging a new person to get into our hobby.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:53 AM
jettstarblue

I think 99% of the time they are just asking so they can see if it's "affordable". No sense in getting all riled up if you "can't afford it".