Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Anyone use Skype on a normal basis?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Anyone use Skype on a normal basis?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 03:23 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone use Skype on a normal basis?

The only thing I can think of to make this jet related is, skype might be an easy way to get phone calls and info faster for jet info.....

If you do use it, have you used their WIFI phones? can you recommend one that is really useful?
Old 05-22-2008, 03:28 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone use Skype on a normal basis?

Our company uses it pretty heavily Sean, especially the IM client. That portion is no different than any other IM client but Skype is interesting the phone call aspect. You can use it from your PC with a mic and then they do have the WIFI phone like you said Sean that one of our users here has and it works pretty decent. He is based out of Greece so he uses it where ever he goes, good for international travel. I believe you can also use it like a regular cell phone in case you don't have an internet connection.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:28 PM
ByLoudDesign

I have not used their WIFI, but I talk to Switzerland on a regular basis to a builder I am working with on the SR-9. Works great!
Old 05-22-2008, 04:04 PM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sean, i use it when i am flying abroad, works great from all places with a wifi connections. Nick
Old 05-22-2008, 04:11 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Here is the one our guy has, strictly WIFI, no cell features:

[link]http://accessories.skype.com/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=skype&Locale=en_US&Env=BASE&categoryName=WiFi&parentCategoryName=Phones&productID=80816800[/link]
Old 05-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Bill Hatcher
My Feedback: (2)

We use it at Troy Built Models all the time. I can talk to our office in Illinois from Florida just like an intercom. Use it like IM all the time.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:22 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Sean Skype works great, I use it when i go to Germany to phone home for free, it works realy cool when you connect a USB video camera, you can show off your projects around the shop while you are talking.

Rich
Old 05-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sean,

We have a daughter who is teaching in Lugo, Spain, and we can see and talk with her on a daily basis, using Skype, and a USB web cam. I can only imagine what our phone bill would be if we were to need to use that method to communicate with her. It works well, and best of all, once you buy the camera, It's free.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 05-22-2008, 09:38 PM
whaledriver
My Feedback: (154)

I use it alot. Currently in Germany. UAE has some restrictions, but other than that, its worldwide. A phone call between two Skype users is free. Calling a cell or phone has some charges, but VERY reasonalble.

See ya....
Chris

SKYPE, cdellin
Old 05-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Skype regularly all over the world - but the thing about Skype is you must have a very good broadband connection. Some hotels, especially in some international locations, will claim "broadband" and not really be good enough for Skype.

For a user here in the US with good broadband, you are good as long as the person you are calling, if they are using Skype, has a very good connection too. Otherwise call them on their landlines for 2.1 cents a minute on your end. It's an easy setup and dirt cheap.

New services out there arebilled as "Skype Killers" and such, and from what I hear Skype is being surpassed in quality, service and price so there are many other options available than Skype.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone used Skype to try to extort money from me when my trailer and plane were stolen. So there, 100% RC related (and true).