Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

reasonable time after sale

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

reasonable time after sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 07:06 PM
F-100_driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reasonable time after sale

After making contact and agreeing on price, what's a reasonable time to wait for payment before shipping ? Someone wants to buy whatever you have, sent name & address for MO, and e-mail asking if they're still interested in item.
Package is ready for shipment, I want the 1st person to say yes to get it, but haven't heard much since??
Whatda ya think, out there??
Old 05-07-2003, 07:17 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like he changed his mind. I'd sell it to the next one to meet your price.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:23 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have found that if they have not commited and said "the check is in the mail", they are not going to buy it. Don't wait around. If they say "let me think about it" or "I will let you know", don't loose a sale because of it. You get burned ever time and may loose another buyer. If they want it, they need to commit. If not, sell it to the first one that commits. I have been burned a couple times because I waited for someone to make up their mind and they backed out and the second buyer found another.

Waiting for payment is another thing. I usually wait 7 to 10 days, and if nothing shows up, ask them when it was sent. If they keep giving you excuses for 7 to 10 more and it still hasn't shown up, there is a problem. I had one guy give me excuses for 3 weeks. Ended up selling it to someone else and never did see anything from the first.

Not everyone is good for their word, but most are that I deal with.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:42 PM
F-100_driver

Tim & Flyboy,
Thanks for the input
Old 05-07-2003, 08:18 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

I had a little different scenario. I had two guys who really wanted what I was selling (Oh wait, that doesn't sound good!) but they each had to find out some more info. I said no problem and to let me know.

I ended up selling it to someone else who sent me money. The first two said, "I didn't know you wanted the money! I would have sent it!"

Moral of the story is ask for the money and the first one who gets it to you gets what your selling.

Mike
Old 05-07-2003, 08:56 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Hideho,
I usually give the money a week to get here.
When I buy, which is 90% of my transactions I do the following:

I myself don't even look for it for two weeks....ever.
Saves me allot of headaches and frustration.

I tell the shipper when we strike the deal to please keep me informed via email if they can...and given the quick time they got back to me when I wanted to purchase it, they should be as quick to keep me informed....
Rarely happends.

But that's OK, until 14 days go by......

Now this attitude has taken years to develop...and about 100 online transactions to perfect.
The first 10 or so deals I just sat and stared at the mailbox or waiting for UPS to get here......worrying, biting my fingernails and thinking I got ripped off every 15 minuets.

I then discovered the phone call. I speak to every buyer or seller for at least a half an hour...on my dime.
I get to know the person, get to trust my instincts and usually make a new friend in the process.
The phone call is the single most important step in making a smooth transaction.

Disclaimer: This does not apply to E*B*A*Y deals at all. I have never gotten ripped on RCU, RCO, FL, EZone or RCShowcase when I've made the phone call. Not once. A slow shipper or three, but never ripped off.
E*B*A*Y is another animal altogether.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:19 AM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When ever I make a purchase I email the seller the M/O number
and where it is drawn from.. I provide the sending info for the
postal service as I send registered mail.. That way they KNOW
I sent and when and, can check mailing status themselves...
Sometimes people will go ahead and ship item, sometimes people
will still wait for M/O to arrive..
In any event, if I make the deal, I send right away..
Thats my 3.78¢ worth..
Now as I have less than 30 day to get ready for the I-Net flyin in
Indiana I had better get my butt back to werk... :bananahea
Old 05-09-2003, 01:15 PM
rockmon

Most guys want the money in their hot little hand before they even ship the merchandise and you can't blame them for that. Makes me think about some of the internet deals I have had, I sold a box of engines to a fellow from California that sent me an e-mail saying he would be gone for a while and to go ahead and cash the check but don't send the engines for a couple of weeks, every time I walked past that box after I got the check I felt like I should run it to the ups drop off and mail it and felt a little strange until I finally had to send the box a little early. Just make it clear to the person that as soon as you recieve the money you will ship the package, if they have a problem with that sell it to the guy that does not have a problem with the way you want to do business, if you do this and your an honest person you will have no problems and will sleep a little sounder at night until the deal is done. I bought my 2nd Giles from a very nice honest gent from Georga that told me the plane would ship on the saturday after he recieved the check so I waited about two weeks for the plane, it's all in how you set up the deal just make it clear how it will go down from the getgo.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:37 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Was just thinking of the hundreds of deals I have done. Out of all of them but one, I have always had to send the money and then wait for the product, or when selling, get the money and send the product when I get it. On the one that didn't work that way, I won an item on ebay, sent him a note asking how much postage would be. I didn't get a note for 2 days, but when I got home the second day, there was a package on the step. It was the Mahogany DC-3 I had ordered with a bill in it. That was the most amazing trade. Never had anyone else even offer to send it early. Cool guy, but very trusting.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:58 PM
F-100_driver

Well, it's nice to hear that there are still some people out there like that. I'm afraid we've all become too distrustful of the other person, warranted or not. One person you deal with could be the nicest person and the next the worst. Ya can't really be sure and one bad apple, ya know makes iy bad for everyone.
Old 05-10-2003, 03:45 PM
rockmon

Till I get burned I will keep the faith, that and I don't e-bay anything I don't even go there and look for anything, most of my e-deals have been with people I have seen on the different forums I go to and have seen them there for a while. So a little luck and not taking too many chances have kept me from getting ripped off, it's too bad we even have to worry about it. (sigh)
Old 05-10-2003, 05:41 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a couple of buyers tell me they won't be able to get the money to me until such & such a day & then they inform me when they do send it. I inform it made it & that their item is on the way . I usually ship with in the hour !! I try to treat my buyers as I would like to be treated & sometimes I treat them better ! Usually the whole thing takes about two weeks , one for the money & two for the show ( catchy phrase, will need to remember it !) MAX H.