Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Transporting your airplanes by auto

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Transporting your airplanes by auto

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 02:45 PM
dmythology
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transporting your airplanes by auto

Hello All,

My first post and a question. I'm new and have already acquired several planes. I have a Jeep grand cherokee and have been fooling around with strange configurations for transporting planes/wings to field. I know there must be systems out there - and if not, someone should start one.

Does anyone have a system or know of any systems sold that can be installed into an SUV or is it pretty much make it up on your own? I've heard from several club members that going the PVC route is the way to go.

Also, where do you buy to the foam that you put around PVC pipe or other metal/wood holders to protect your plane from scratches?

Many thanks in advance for you suggestions.

Regards,
Derek
Old 06-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Transporting your airplanes by auto

ORIGINAL: dmythology

Hello All,

Also, where do you buy to the foam that you put around PVC pipe or other metal/wood holders to protect your plane from scratches?

Many thanks in advance for you suggestions.

Regards,
Derek
It is pipe insulation available at Lowes or Home Depot.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:36 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I do not know of any systems that are made that will just drop in. I built one for my SUV using 3/4 inch PVC. As mentioned I used the pipe insulation to protect my planes. I am able to put the wings in the rack and my fuselage is on the floor of the SUV. I can get 3 or 4 planes in it. Good Luck, Dave
Old 06-09-2008, 09:17 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here are a couple of pics of one i built.... it houses the fuse in the middle, and each wing halve on both sides, or two other smaller fuses of 40 sized airplanes, the first pic was before i added foam and 45 degree elbows to conform to the shape of the fuse
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38920.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	967599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95481.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	967600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42421.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	967601  
Old 06-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PCV pipe is your friend. I keep a supply around to make cradles for my planes. No matter how much I try to make a general purpose cradle, I sometimes have to do a custom job for one particular plane. The picture is cradles I make for my trailer.
Edwin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74725.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	967888  
Old 06-10-2008, 09:18 AM
jgunpilot

I end up making PVC fixtures to transport and store my planes as well. You can buy general purpose ones off E-bay, but I suggest that you custom make your own from material at the local hardware store. One suggestion: buy 3 times as much 3/4" PVC pipe as you think you'll need. I'm making a wall hanging rack for electric airplanes right now, and I just went through a whole 10 foot length of pipe and found I need 8 feet more.

You can make almost anything with ten 90 degree fittings, ten tee's, four end caps. 3 10' lengths of 3/4" schedule 40 pipe, and two lengths of 3/4" foam insulation. Also get a can each of PVC cleaner and PVC pipe dope. Set your model down, measure, and start building. Beer helps in the creativity process.