Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Any females fly?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 05:51 PM
TakingFlight96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any females fly?

Actually, today I was in my LHS getting some fuel and I looked at some of the new kits that came in, I noticed a very nice Spacewalker - Guess I better start saving $$$. I imagine that the Spacewalker would be a pretty good 3rd plane. And I know where you're coming from w/ the timescale thing, Iam doing that a lot with my Warhawk - I'd really get to work one day, Id take a break, a week later I'd get back building, though I've had to take a long break due to a family member being very, very ill [sm=disappointed.gif] Anyway I guess from here on out I'll be saving pennies.

TF96
Old 08-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Dragonfly2k3

This really has nothing to do with this thread. However, i like RCU because its probably the only one that im on where im not the youngest person(19). Also, id like to see more girls into not just flight but the hobby in general. I rarely ever have a female customer buying for herself.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Wild Foamy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i suppose its because the majority of this sport is engineering oriented (tuning engines, rebuilding engines, setting up radio gear e.t.c) and the most females i know dont tend to find that interesting (with a few exceptions).

TakingFlight96,
Never had any experiance with the Spacewalker so i cant really comment on that, but the Guillows warhawk sounds nice (only Guillows kit i ever built was the Cessna 0-1E Bird dog which i found a bit too easy.) got any pictures to show us how its going?

better get used to stringers and formers if you intend to build, take a look at the Mam'selle(s) in my profile (i actually cut the 3/16 Sq Stringers from a sheet of 3/16 x 4" balsa, more cost effective :P) after i'd finished the fuselage on the second one i was sick of the sight of former templates :P. but after a few weeks i had to scratch that annoying itch and start building a third
Old 08-04-2008, 03:45 PM
TakingFlight96

Yeah, I'll try to take some pics and get them up on here. I have to redo a small section of the wing and redo the horizontal stab ; then all I have left is the fin. Then It'll be sanding, sanding, and more sanding. I just recently recieved the covering from Tower and the graphics from Callie and I'll put up pics of those as well along w/ the pics of the plane. As I said before, I'll try to get some pics up as soon as possible.

TF96
Old 08-07-2008, 06:00 PM
TakingFlight96

Sorry, it took so long - Heres the pics of the Warhawk

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34169.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	1006326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54933.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1006327  
Old 08-07-2008, 06:25 PM
TakingFlight96

Heres some pics of the Decals. The color scheme I'm planning on using is an Dark Green w/ a Sky Blue underside. I thought of doing camo, but, It'll be my first covering job so, K.I.S.S. Included somewhere in the pictures is a pic of an actual Warhawks guns I took up at Oshkosh - I had this idea to use old fuel tubing or those smaller coffee stir sticks, paint them black, and they'd be my guns ; Let me know your thoughts on that subject. As far as decals go I plan to use the following - Sharks Mouth, Kill Flags, Flying Tiger, those Blue/White Circle things (I can't remember the actual name), the #47, and the Rudder Striping.

TF96

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87696.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1006333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24068.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1006334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82388.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	1006335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96879.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	1006336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb38568.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	1006337  
Old 08-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Wild Foamy

ah, its only a little'en then :P

does look nice though, i can see you've got potential to be a great builder, keep the covering tight and keep the wrinkles out of it and hopefully it will turn out OK, i suck at covering and thats the only reason i haven't finished any of my projects (still working out the finer details and putting off the dreaded job of covering... you can tell im english, lol!)

keep up the good work, if you can get used to working with stringers and formers (and not putting your thumb through them like i do :P) you should be just about set for a bigger kit

good job, TF96
Old 08-10-2008, 03:14 PM
TakingFlight96

Thanks, Wild Foamy. At my local club theirs this older guy that is like a FF expert - Larry will be helping me w/ the covering, he gave me some tips to work off of. This other dude from the club is gonna give me a bit of unused covering to try my hand at before I move onto the warhawk. Although one thing is that I'm not so sure of is that I'ma fly it rubber band, it'll most likely be just a show bird.

TF96
Old 08-11-2008, 06:20 AM
Wild Foamy

looks too nice to launch into a tree anyway
Old 08-11-2008, 03:53 PM
TakingFlight96

I was thinking the same exact thing

TF96
Old 08-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Wild Foamy

Hmm, the force, strong within you it is... much to learn you have... [&:]

(where the hecks the lightsaber smiley? :P)
Old 08-11-2008, 05:59 PM
TakingFlight96

Old 08-14-2008, 07:19 PM
TakingFlight96

This one dude from the club came over today and gave me 4-5 Electric/Rubber Band planes. Along w/ the planes 9 rolls of towerkote or monocote (I can't remember which) to try out. He included an almost ready to cover smaller plane to try to cover. So, for the rest of tonight I'll be trying my hand at covering. Tommorow I'll be at Warbirds and Classics Over the Midwest warbirds show up in Fond du Lac, WI for the whole day ; so, I wont get much practice in then.
Warhawks coming along good, slowly, but, good - the Horizontal stab is almost finished.

TF96
Old 08-24-2008, 10:22 AM
TakingFlight96

Update :

Horizontal Stab is finished, and part of the fin. I wish I could post pictures, but, my camera broke [:@] Tried my hand at the Towercote - I did pretty good for 1st time covering. It wasn't really tight, yet it wasn't really loose - In between. My uncle just arrived home from Iraq so, I'll be flying tonight and then going to see him ; he finally retired after 5 times over there. Then on Monday its back to the warhawk.

TF96
Old 09-06-2008, 12:46 PM
TakingFlight96

Heres an update on the warhawk for those intrested. The warhawk is done and is ready for covering. I'll be getting a new camera soon and will post pics of it once its covered. As I might've mentioned before, the scheme I'll be using is a Army green w/ a sky blue underside. I've decided not to fly it rubber band, it'll be a show bird. Just thought I'd post an update for those intrested.

TF96