Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Any females fly?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Cool1_UK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any females fly?

Not sure if this is in the right sub forum but would be interested to know if there are any here!
Old 07-15-2008, 06:02 PM
aussiesteve

Default RE: Any females fly?

Wasn't that the test for witches in your part of the world once?
Push them off a cliff and if they flew away they were a witch?
Old 07-15-2008, 06:54 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

darnit man...I just spit on my keyboard!
Old 07-15-2008, 07:10 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"Wasn't that the test for witches in your part of the world once?
Push them off a cliff and if they flew away they were a witch? "

Some of you are just too smart for me! ROTF!
Old 07-15-2008, 10:52 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive seen a couple at flyins, and looked manlier than i do except for one
Old 07-15-2008, 11:53 PM
TakingFlight96

Yeah, at my field, I'm the only girl out there. Sure people make comments, I push them off - I'm not about to let them get to me. I'm gonna focus on learning to fly, I'm very, very close to Soloing, So, I'm not gonna let anybody stop me. I've spent 9+ months on a sim at least an 1-2 hours a day, I've worked to hard to let one persons comment get me out of the hobby. I feel that women are slowly making their way to the top in aviation (RC and Full Scale). Someday I plan to do something in aviation, I'm young so I still got so many more career paths that I can choose, theirs literally 1,000+ jobs in the broad topic of aviation. I actually dont mind the smell of glow fuel, and that occasional fuel that sprays all over you, and all the grease and grass all over the plane - Thats what comes with the territory of RC, and IMO its all worth it in the end.

TakingFlight96
Old 07-16-2008, 12:10 AM
MetallicaJunkie

i wish there were more women out there like you, its good for the hobby [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]

keep it up!
Old 07-16-2008, 05:59 AM
Roby

In my many years in this hobby I've only seen
one female fly an R/C airplane and that was more
than 20 years ago. As I remember her, she flew ok
but her building put some of the guys to shame.

Regards,
Roby
Old 07-16-2008, 07:15 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cool1_UK

Not sure if this is in the right sub forum but would be interested to know if there are any here!
Use the search feature & find SkyHigh Bev's posts. More females post in her threads and others.

At the 2 clubs where I fly, you see flyers with their wives or girlfriends, and sometimes the women fly. You will note an abundance of helpful guys willing to train women when they show up.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 07-16-2008, 08:31 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

I was watching a DVD of IRCHA last year, my wife peeked up occasionally bored with the 3d but one really smooth, though very aerobatic flights caught her attention and she watched the whole flight, when she saw the pilot was a girl she said that it figured and went back to her book.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:50 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: TakingFlight96

Yeah, at my field, I'm the only girl out there. Sure people make comments, I push them off - I'm not about to let them get to me.

TakingFlight96
Good for you. We should be at the field to fly, not to be hitting on someone or making comments . It shouldn't matter what gender the pilot is. I'd like to see more women get into the hobby. I hope you solo soon and enjoy flying as much as I have. Are you a builder, too? or would you like to be?
Old 07-16-2008, 06:37 PM
skyraider71

MY six year old daughter has asked me more than once to build her a plane!
I wonder what a House of Balsa 2x4 would look in pink?
Old 07-16-2008, 06:54 PM
Cool1_UK

Yeah, at my field, I'm the only girl out there. Sure people make comments, I push them off - I'm not about to let them get to me. I'm gonna focus on learning to fly, I'm very, very close to Soloing, So, I'm not gonna let anybody stop me. I've spent 9+ months on a sim at least an 1-2 hours a day, I've worked to hard to let one persons comment get me out of the hobby. I feel that women are slowly making their way to the top in aviation (RC and Full Scale). Someday I plan to do something in aviation, I'm young so I still got so many more career paths that I can choose, theirs literally 1,000+ jobs in the broad topic of aviation. I actually dont mind the smell of glow fuel, and that occasional fuel that sprays all over you, and all the grease and grass all over the plane - Thats what comes with the territory of RC, and IMO its all worth it in the end.

TakingFlight96
Woohoo! My kinda girl <3
Old 07-16-2008, 11:39 PM
TakingFlight96

Actually yeah, I currently am building a Guillows Curtiss P-40 Warhawk ; thought it would give me a real feel for building, which I'll probably be doing a lot of in the future. I like building ,but, those balsa kits are pretty small and break very easily ; they can be a pain in the butt sometimes - I'd like to eventually build a larger kit as a 3rd or 4th plane. Theirs always been that appeal to building from the beginning, but, I'm looking to take the next step once I solo and progress further.

TakingFlight96
Old 07-17-2008, 01:51 AM
GRANT ED

In my club of 100 members there is not one girl. I can't even remember ever seeing one at other clubs or events. Shame.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:19 AM
noterman

No girls in my club 8-{ . But I have met a female flyer at several of the local fly-ins. She is an accomplished pilot and puts most of the guys to shame at "IMAC" style and 3D. She doen't fly alot. She is a better pilot than her husband and the rumor is that he doesn't like being "second seat".
Old 07-19-2008, 08:37 PM
pdansalvish
My Feedback: (23)

My wife flies with me. Her favorite planes are the Great Planes Chipmunk and Hanger 9 1/4 Cub. She has been flying with me for over 14 years.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:41 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

There is a woman in the Western Pylon racing series that flies Q40's!!! She holds her own flying a 180mph plane. I have seen her at a few pylon events. I won't do any name dropping, sorry [&:]
Old 07-19-2008, 11:08 PM
rcjon

They got better sense than to spend money on RC when there are shoes still on the store shelves.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Wild Foamy

i havent seen any females flying at my field, but we have 26 memebers (about 6 we see regularly), 5 of which are over 50 :P, and then theres me.

would be nice to find some people my age that are interested in flying... but thats why i have RC Universe XD
Old 08-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Wild Foamy

ORIGINAL: Cool1_UK

TakingFlight96
Woohoo! My kinda girl <3
Behave, you! :P

if only there were more young ladies like you, Takingflight96. keep that attitude and you will go far in life, i can see you have potential to be a gret pilot. best of luck for your solo

as for building, why wait for your 3rd or 4th plane?, i bought my second one (ripmax bossanova, WOO!) but now ive build a vintage trainer (and started building two more of the same plane for leccy conversions), s Cassutt Racer, and a few more projects on the side, its not as hard as you think

next time your in the LHS, it may be worth picking up a Four star kit or something similar to build whilst your training (the 4*s' are easy to build, i have a modified 4* .60 with an OS .91FX upfront, dual aileron servos, wingtips and modified vertical stabiliser that was a pleasure to build and very stable to fly). whilst Guillows kits are fine for cutting and sticking practice they dont give you the full satisfaction that comes with building your own powered model (although i find i usually end up putting my finger through the balsa when cutting it out!)
Old 08-02-2008, 11:09 PM
TakingFlight96

Yeah, I hear that those 4* 's are pretty good, I'm considering building one as a winter project. Where I fly everybody says that the Phoenix Dolphin I have set up as my 2nd plane, is just like the 4*. I've seen plenty of them fly, they seem to fly great. I'll have to stop by the LHS and see what they got 2nd plane wise, otherwise theirs always the internet. Once I'm done training with the Nexstar I'll start building.

TakingFlight96
Old 08-03-2008, 05:15 AM
Wild Foamy

why wait?, now is the time to get building

Ive seen four stars used as cropduster, banner/glider tugs, aerial photography platforms, they really are great utility planes capable of doing pretty much anything you want them to (knife-edges can be a bit hairy though...) plus they arent as daunting to build as you would think

if your into kit building (or want to be) i would suggest getting a real kit and not a Guillows, they just dont feel the same as a proper kit.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:30 AM
TakingFlight96

Yeah, I would LOVE to get building but, moneys an issue right now - Me and my dad went up to Oshkosh for the show on Friday and a big chunk of money was spent. Besides the money I have saved has to go for fuel, and other expenses to keep a plane in the air before I get another one. Plus right now I don't have very much time to spend just going downstairs to the workroom and fully concentrate on something. But, when I got some free time I'll go down their and work on the Warhawk. I'll tell ya, thats the last Guillows kit I ever build - I'm ready to either use it as firewood or take a 12 gauge to it. [:@] I'am planning to do a real kit once the money and time is right, but, for now I'm looking on the internet to see whats out their for a good 3rd plane kit. I imagine that you'd take more pride in a real kit, compared to a $12 balsa kit. I suppose it may be a bit easier building a real kits supposed to a little balsa plane - bigger pieces, more in depth directions, etc. Don't get me wrong I love building, but, I think I'd love it a lot more without the Guillows.

TakingFlight96
Old 08-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Wild Foamy

i see what you mean about finance, im only 15 myself so sometimes raising the funds for a project is very hard.

that being said, it costs me about £30-£40 to fully build an airframe from plans including balsa, covering e.t.c (not sure how many $ that is, around $50-$60?).

i prefer bigger kits for one main reason, tis ahrder to put your thumb through the pieces when you are getting them out! [&:]

another thing i like with kitbuilding is the timescale, some days i will be in the workshop all day, sometimes i do an hour or two after school, sometimes i will leave it for a week and then get back to it.

ive still got 2 Mam'selles and a trainer i need to finish :P

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.