Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Conrad, MT. 1st funfly = huge success!

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Conrad, MT. 1st funfly = huge success!

Old 05-18-2003, 02:51 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Conrad, MT. 1st funfly = huge success!

Our newly formed club had its first funfly/demonstration yesterday. Every year, during the mid part of May, our small Montana town has a rodeo weekend called 'Whoop-Up Trial Days'. This year, we lucked out with beautiful weather. Our RC airport is on the way to the rodeo grounds, so that also helped. We raised $240 for our 11 member club. And, we probably snagged a few future pilots in the process.

Food was good, weather was even better, and the people were the best. Thank you to the Big Sky RCers, of Great Falls for coming up and supporting our endeavor. Russ, John, Bob, and the guy with the yellow LT-40 (sorry, I can't remember his name) are great guys, and really do a lot for the sport. We really appreciate it.

We had a paintball shoot that ended up being the highlight of the afternoon. I flew our target plane, a Duraplane with a coroplast wing, so long that my thumbs started cramping. It actually got hit twice, once by Austin Fowler, (our youngest member) and some little girl (I'll call her Annie Oakley). All the negative threads about the paintball thing, are a true waste of time. It proved not only fun, but safe for all involved. What a great way to raise funds for a club. Everybody really enjoyed this part of the day, including the target pilot. But, if I have to fly one more figure 8 pattern, I'm gonna puke.

We had many inquiries about the hobby, and sent a few people home with old Tower catalogs. The rest of our audience were really educated. Al Cady manned the PA system, and did an excellent job of explaining things while the rest of us flew. An MC is a must for something like this. It raises the excitement level when you have an amplified voice commenting on the flights, and Al did a wonderful job of explaining things, and giving small history lessons along the way.

Thank God we had it yesterday. Today, the weather is a bit different. Yesterday was in the 70's, with a light breeze, and today I wake up to 30 degrees, an inch of snow on the ground, and blizzard-like conditions. :0 This is Montana. Thanks to everyone who helped make our 1st funfly/demonstration successful.