Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

This is Different - I Seek Help

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

This is Different - I Seek Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 04:06 AM
AlphaWhisky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is Different - I Seek Help

I`m faced with replacing the letterbox at home.

I thought I might custom-make one with a cartoon-type airplane flavour.

I`m just thinking about this at this time.

Has anyone here done this before? Can anyone provide any pictures, or websites to visit, or anything that might help me in this strange quest?

Thanks

Alan W
Old 05-20-2003, 04:22 AM
David Cutler

Try going to www.google.com and typing in letterbox.

I think you'll be surprised with the result!

Alternatively, may I have a pint of what you are drinking?

-David C.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:47 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's mine
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	80060_7722.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	47373  
Old 05-20-2003, 03:55 PM
Unstable

I saw one that was a normal letterbox then on top of a long pole (about 8-9') it has one like minflyers that was labeled "air mail".
Old 05-20-2003, 03:56 PM
Crashem

Speaking of Closing down Non-R/C related threads?
Old 05-20-2003, 05:22 PM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

"I thought I might custom-make one with a cartoon-type airplane flavour."

Crashem, this person seeks help regarding a topic that's related to airplanes. I don't see any problem with it. The nuke monster may come for your post.
Old 05-20-2003, 05:39 PM
Crashem

Crashem, this person seeks help regarding a topic that's related to airplanes. I don't see any problem with it. The nuke monster may come for your post.
RCU,

Unless the door on the letterbox is opened by remote control then its not R/C related. I'm not trying to be a pain but we just had a thread explaining why posts of this type are out of bounds yet it seems that this rule isn't applied uniformly to all threads. I personnally couldn't careless about this thread or the ones that were deleted what I do think is important is that the rules governing what is permisable to be posted are applied to all not just selected threads. Otherwise the closing of one thread will prompt another asking why one was allowed and one was not.
Rules only make sense when they are applied in a consistent manner
Old 05-20-2003, 06:20 PM
Cabane
My Feedback: (2)

Default speaking of letter box

I've been trying to find out what publication and what issue had the GeeBee mail box. Anyone? Anyone?
Old 05-20-2003, 06:39 PM
MinnFlyer

Crashem,
Rules are meant to be judged. There is (or at least was at one time) a law on the books in Missouri that stated "If a gun is used during the perpetration of a crime, the person in possession of said gun will receive a mandatory 10 yr. sentence"

A man's house was being robbed. The man had a license to carry a gun. He held the robber at bay with it until the police arrived. He was later arrested and sentenced to a mandatory 10 yr sentence for using a gun while a crime was being perpetrated.

Fortunately someone had the common sense to say "That's not what the law intended."

I think my mailbox IS R/C related. I don't fly full scale. If I didn't fly R/C I wouldn't have made that mailbox.

If the Moderator of this forum decides that it will stay, it will stay.

We are not here to be the gestapo, and watch everything just so we can zap it.

We are here to keep this the best site we can.

Are you offended by this thread?

Is ANYONE out there offended by this thread???

And don't give me this "I'm offended by the fact that "so and so" thread was closed and this one can stay open".

If "so and so" thread was closed, it was judged by a team of Moderators as not contributing to the well being of RCU.

Now, let's see some more R/C related mailboxes.
Old 05-20-2003, 06:43 PM
MinnFlyer

BTW, here's the GeeBee Mailbox:

http://www.mailboxworks.com/novelty-racingplane.html
Old 05-20-2003, 07:06 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Originally posted by Crashem
RCU,

Unless the door on the letterbox is opened by remote control then its not R/C related. I'm not trying to be a pain but we just had a thread explaining why posts of this type are out of bounds yet it seems that this rule isn't applied uniformly to all threads. I personnally couldn't careless about this thread or the ones that were deleted what I do think is important is that the rules governing what is permisable to be posted are applied to all not just selected threads. Otherwise the closing of one thread will prompt another asking why one was allowed and one was not.
Rules only make sense when they are applied in a consistent manner

It's hard being a moderator - I know, as I've been one on several of these boards. I've closed threads others would have left open, and I've allowed threads to remain open when others would have closed them. I've taken so much criticism BOTH ways that I decided I'd had enough....so I resigned from moderating on most of the boards.

The mods here do a fantastic job of keeping this a middle-of-the-road open discussion board. It's not full of hotheads like one of the others used to be, nor is it banning people right and left as another did. It does lack some of the great philosophical prose that folks like Sonny Elmore and TGShinnman (sp?) used to post.

Please, please, PLEASE quit whining about the rules and how they are applied! No matter how well the rules are written, IT IS ALWAYS A JUDGEMENT CALL. The Moderators do a fine job of keeping this place civil while only cutting/closing a tiny portion of the threads.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:10 PM
Charlie P.

As Robert A. Heinlein said: "Insects specialize."

Charlie P.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:11 PM
bearmech
My Feedback: (1)

Mod's report card=A+
Old 05-20-2003, 07:12 PM
Crashem

TOPICS OF DISCUSSION:
While these discussion forums encourage a wide range of opinions, please keep your posts focused on the topic of the forum in which you are submitting your message. Each forum has a different topic, so what is appropriate in one forum or thread may not be appropriate in another. RCUniverse.com is a forum focused on r/c and as such the topics will remain r/c related. No political, social, religious, or other similar off topic discussion will be allowed.
Minnflyer,

While I've respected you opinions and advice I have to respectfully disagree the above quote is taken directly from this forums policies. This topic is clearly is not R/C related to allow this thread and not others is arbitrary and hypocritical. I personally don't care if the thread continues or not. While your example is interesting it simply illustrates my point the man was arrested because it was the Law (rule) at the time simply ignoring it is unacceptable in any society, changing it however is ,if you are saying that It is no longer necessary to only post R/C related threads and the rule has been rescinded then so be but it if that is not the case then it should be removed for consistency's sake.

No I do not think the mods are the gestapo nor was I offended by it I'm simply pointing out that if you chose to ignore the rules in some instances and not others they become meaningless!

And don't give me this "I'm offended by the fact that "so and so" thread was closed and this one can stay open".
You may not want to here it but that is exactly what could happen by allowing even inoffensive Non R/C related threads to continue while closing others.

You may disagree with me. But remember I didn't make the rules I just read them and try the best I can to follow them..
Old 05-20-2003, 07:19 PM
Crashem

Please, please, PLEASE quit whining about the rules and how they are applied! No matter how well the rules are written, IT IS ALWAYS A JUDGEMENT CALL. The Moderators do a fine job of keeping this place civil while only cutting/closing a tiny portion of the threads.
Teachu2,

I'm not whinning about the rules nor am I criticizing the Mods or this forum. Your Right it is always a judgment call So I'll ask you to use your own judgment heres the rule please explain to me or anyone else how I've have misinterpreted it.
. RCUniverse.com is a forum focused on r/c and as such the topics will remain r/c related
Hopefully you will be able to correct my misunderstanding
Old 05-20-2003, 07:57 PM
Frankenthumb

Oh jeez, do we HAVE to talk about this again?

Most of the mods here are pretty cool. In my experience there is one heavy handed, over zealous, power trippin' mod that likes to randomly delete/close threads. There's one in every crowd. My advice to you?? Deal with it.

About the letter boxes, I can totally see the connection. Most folks that are interested in RC planes are also interested in full scale planes, or as anything to do with aviation for that matter.

Myabe you could utilize a carcas that you may have lying around, or maybe someone in your club has one. You could take a fuse that is mostly intact and weather proof it somehow. Make the cowl fold down for the door.

Just an idea.

Frank
Old 05-20-2003, 08:30 PM
Al Stein

RCUniverse.com is a forum focused on r/c and as such the topics will remain r/c related
Well, model airplanes may be R/C'd... so model airplanes are R/C related.

A model is a representation of another object, often built to a smaller scale and focused on emphasizing particular aspects of the original. An airplane mailbox is such a representation of an airplane, so an airplane mailbox is a model airplane -- and model airplanes are related to R/C, as we've already seen.

Therefore, an airplane mailbox is related to R/C.

Maybe we're trying to answer the wrong question... perhaps the objection is to the thread's title rather than to its contents... "This is Different -- I seek Help" doesn't sound too R/C-like... it's certainly rare to hear that at the field unless it's mispronounced as something that sounds more like, "RADIO GLITCH! I'VE BEEN SHOT DOWN!!!." As far as the actual subject matter here, it seems to be certifiably R/C related. Do we have any rules about thread titles? Some folks would certainly call those the "topic" of the thread.

Either way, the moderator job is a tough one. (Been there! (or should I say HERE?)) I wish to express my support for Trent and company. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for the service you provide to the modeling comunity.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:36 PM
AlphaWhisky

Default R/C Letterbox - carefully worded?

Hey, All,

What a can of worms this turned out to be! And it took me ages to figure where I might post it.

I think I might blame Adrian Page - his Newbee had a lot to do with me starting down this track. Oops - maybe that could be read as unacceptable advertising?

Anyway , I thought I might chance my arm here - I wasn`t going looking for a trash can.

Minnflyer - Thankyou for your helpful information. That`s the sort of thing I had in mind.

David C - I did go there. Man, you don`t need a pint of anything I`ve got to offer. Wait - how about lacquer thinners?

Crashem - I really don`t know how to react. I sure ain`t gonna put an Rx in this one, just a prop, and some wheels, and maybe a pilot, and............

The others - thankyou for some interesting comment, and support. I will admit to smiling. Is that OK?

Alan W
Old 05-20-2003, 08:48 PM
Al Stein

The others - thankyou for some interesting comment, and support. I will admit to smiling. Is that OK?
Well, I smile a lot while I have a plane a couple of mistakes high, so that's a relationship between smiling and R/C...

And once I get too close to the ground, my frown could be a model of a smile if seen upside down (as it might be if it could be seen from the southern hemisphere), so it's a model -- and models can be related to R/C, ....

How are ya, mate -- I hope all's well down there!
Old 05-20-2003, 08:51 PM
robert

Ahhh go out and have some fun.......
Old 05-20-2003, 09:11 PM
Al Stein

Rain showers... probability of lightning strikle too high, darn it!
Old 05-20-2003, 09:13 PM
robert

ehhh, stay in and have some fun??????
Old 05-20-2003, 09:24 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What was that about hijacking threads?

Have fun and leave the mods to keep doing their jobs. They do it well.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:30 PM
robert

Originally posted by robert
ehhh, stay in and have some fun??????

I just re-read this, and I didn't mean it the way that it could be taken.... Now, back to r/c mailboxes.....
Old 05-20-2003, 10:43 PM
T28pilot

Yes this thread will stay open till it gets out of hand....now i too would like to see more variations of R/C mail boxes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.