Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

frustrated with Sellers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 11:08 PM
rcavi8ter
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frustrated with Sellers?

OK I just wanted to see if any other people here are having the same problem. I have tried to buy several items on RCuniverse and when I contact the seller and believe to have a deal. I later get a responce that they will not ship the item or that they have found someone else to buy the item. This has been very frustrating. I do want to say that I have bought several items off of RCuniverse as well as RConline with good results but as of late it has been real frustrating. Anyone else with this problem?
Old 03-15-2002, 11:46 PM
rbshirley-delete

Nope ! Just the opposite.

I have purchased four engines in the past three to four weeks from posts on RCUniverse.

All four sellers responded quickly, and made prompt deliveries of items that met or exeeded my expectations.

I guess "Caveat Emptor" is the pertinent philosophy for buying on the internet, just as it is elsewhere.

Make sure you know what you are buying and that there is a reasonable expectation that the person you are buying from is honest and trustworthy .... common sense in evaluating the "advertising posts" is the key here.

Just my two pence worth from an active buyer and seller {on eBay}.

Bob Shirley
Old 03-16-2002, 01:14 AM
Wonder
My Feedback: (7)

Default Frustrated with sellers

The three most important thing in sales are LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!!

The most frustrating thing about dealing with people online is not knowing where the are located. Some people refuse to tell you there location for some strange reason or another, and I simply WILL NOT deal with those people.

If they are within a days travel I would be more apt to drive to and pick up large items in person rather than shipping. Then you know it wont get damaged in shipping, as well as know you are getting your goods for your money.

But hey maybe that is just me.

Tim
Old 03-16-2002, 02:06 AM
oldcabmkr
My Feedback: (127)

Default Frustrated with sellers

No problems here.
As stated in other posts, I also find myself not dealing with people whom for some reason don't give their location or have a way to email them. I have both my location and an additional link to email me directly.

Some people don't want to ship outside the USA and alot of people that live outside don't give their location. I don't have problems shipping anywhere, but if you do live outside the USA the shipping cost will be the amount that is different from shipping in the USA. I feel this is fair, others do not.

This is only my $0.02 worth on the subject.

Thanks Doug
Old 03-16-2002, 02:18 AM
jwl
My Feedback: (4)

Default Sellers - experienced both good and bad

I can empathize with all of you.
I have picked up a few items in the last few weeks through the postings here at RCU.
I have experienced great communication, cooperation and complete satisfaction with most deals. But there is one that is getting frustrating. Seller doesnt reply, ...out of town....another buyer gets involved... you know how it goes.
Heck,...............you win some you lose some.
The majority of my transactions have been very positive and thats a good thing!

jwl
Old 03-16-2002, 03:04 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can only ad to this topic by stating that I have had nothing but great deals and dealt with nothing but great people. I had one deal that went south a number of years back, but I contacted the local police department in his home town and the next day I had a tracking number. It does all boil down to trusting the party that you are dealing with. One of the first things I look at is the screen name. If the screen name is something along the lines of thief 1 or still serving time at the Q, I do not even look twice. If the seller does not want to give you a home town, or a phone number ( by e mail of course) or any simple piece of information, then Thank your lucky stars and pass on the deal. As for a seller not responding to his post in a timely manner, I have over the years as a moderator seen folks make a post and then not respond for days on end. They sometimes leave town, don't think it will sell and not look for days, forget about the post all together, or have a computer melt down. This in my opioion does not make that person bad or a crook, just maybe a little inconsiderate. A seller has the right to sell to who ever he so desires. I have seen sellers do some of the dumbest things but it still comes down to the seller selling to the person he wants to. We all would like to believe that a seller is obligated to sell to the first person to respond. Most sellers do, but some don't. It is human nature at work, irritating yes, but not worth getting ulcers over. In this forum you will find sellers that put a plane on the boards, sell it to Joe for the listed price and then try to get it packed and shipped. It is a tough thing to do. I know this for a fact. I sold a Great Planes F14 to a fellow, and when I went to get it packed up there was no way that I was going to get the plane shipped with out it arriving in parts. Mail Boxes Etc. is a wonderful place for shipping, but walk in there with a plane and ask to get it shipped. Your next trip will be to the bank. I contacted the buyer about my problem and he understood completly. He did not want to deal with a box full of broken plane. I sent him his money back and to this day we still comunicate. Bottom line, honesty is the best policy and trust is a must.

This post probally should be in another forum, however I think that this forum is one of the best for the shipping problem and the fact that sellers sometimes do not want to ship. If any of my fellow moderators think it should be moved, please do. If you have good ideas on how to ship planes, then by all means add to the post, however please do not start posting names of sellers that are not going to ship or sold their stuff to someone else, even though you were the first post. Thanks Dave
Old 03-16-2002, 03:29 AM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Default Use the Good the Bad & the Ugly

If some one does funky stuff, nothing like the light of day to show others who they are. Post in the Good, the Bad and the Ugly, in the for sale section. The facts, all of the facts, and let others decide about them on there own. Dont listen to someone who says check my Ebay feedback if they dont explain the whole situation first. You do have that recourse. Do that a couple of times and shady people wont get anymore deals. Just my suggestion.
Old 03-16-2002, 04:03 AM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Overall, I have found most people are good to deal with. I did have a bad experience(in my opinion) on RCO. I made a deal with the other party(he was"selling out") on a trainer,sent him the money order, waited a week and didnt get anything. He finally replied that someone local had purchased everything, including the trainer he agreed to sell me. He did return my funds with a note stating"sorry, but I sold it to someone else".
I go on the old saying:If you give me your word on something, thats the way it is!! At least , thats the way I work.
John McGowan
Old 03-16-2002, 04:33 AM
Billy Hell
My Feedback: (2)

I have had money in hand and after many emails no response. Then I get the guy that posts a great deal, I make a good offer and never hear back. When he finally does email me back weeks later it to say he won't ship. You should mention that in your post! As of yet I have still had no luck purchasing anything off of RCU.
Old 03-16-2002, 06:24 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

I am having the opposite problem. I am trying to sell a 30% Giles 202. Lots of people "interested", "want it", "will have the money to you this week" and they all have backed out at the last minute.
Old 03-16-2002, 06:25 AM
pilotkelowna
My Feedback: (1)

It would be nice if everyone on RC Universe placed their home location in the spot provided for it on this website. I have ordered over15 items from different modelers in the last few months , and always offer to pay the extra costs to Canada. All these deals have worked out fine, but its more difficult when those offering items for sale don't want to show their location or EMail address.
Old 03-16-2002, 10:36 AM
stevta
My Feedback: (1)

Default Buying online

I always ask the seller a question about their item or something in general. If they respond back in a timely method and are friend I'll make an offer. I like to deal with nice people and if you send email w/o an offer you find out who's naughty and nice :-)
I also won't deal with anyone who is using a free email account like hotmail.
Steve
Old 03-16-2002, 10:59 AM
Ed Smith

I have never, ever, been ripped off by internet sales.

I have never, ever, been ripped off by tele-marketers.

I have never, ever, been ripped off by door to door pests.

I have never, ever, purchased from any of the above.

Ed S
Old 03-16-2002, 02:50 PM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

To bad for you Ed. I have made some great deals online, everything has been has promised and everyone has gone out of thier way to make the experience pleasurable. It has allowed me to purchase products I would have never been able to afford. I LOVE IT !!!
Brian
Old 03-16-2002, 03:37 PM
CapMan
My Feedback: (219)

Default Two cents more!

Ed, I agree with Brian, you are missing a lot of fun and the opportunity to meet some really nice people.

As for some of the problems listed above concerning sellers not responding etc. I feel this is something we have to expect (not saying it is right or we have to like it), as we are dealing through an impersonal media with no face to face contact. I have always found that when I am contacted by a person who I have done business with either buying or selling that I feel the need to respond more rapidly.

Another factor that may cause problems with dealing is some buyers spend way to much time trying to purchase an item at the lowest price possible. I feel you have to evaluate the item you are buying or selling and decide if you really want it. If you do, then you may have to pay close to what the seller is asking.

All in all, this is a great hobby and this is a great Forum - Have fun and in some case we all need to "lighten up a tad."
Old 03-17-2002, 04:25 PM
rcman-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default Buying and Selling

My comments:

1. If you offer less than the asking price and the seller has not accepted your offer, you have no right to feel ripped off if he sells it to someone else for more money.

2. Some people are hard to reach on the Internet. They go out of town for a few days. Sometimes email messages get lost. Be patient.

3. Always check out the person before sending them money. You can do this several ways.

Verify their name and address using a site like the following:

http://www.switchboard.com

Call them on the phone and chat for a few minutes. Ask them questions about the hobby, why they are selling the item, etc. You can learn a lot this way.

4. Expect to be ripped off some day. It happens, but not very often. You can make a lot of trouble for the person, if you want to spend the time.

5. Never send money to a post office box.
Old 03-17-2002, 04:32 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Hideho all,

I have made at least 50 deals on line in the past 5 years...buying and selling.
The first and most important rule is the " PHONE CALL"
Either I make it or I'm called...never ever deviate...I can tell more about a person on the phone than by any reference...If I have reservations, and from time to time I do, I get the name of the hobby shop where he trades...or his club name and phone number. If he is open and forthright about that info that usually is all I need to make the deal.

Oh, and ED, I have made some of the most terrific relationships that way too...
FWIW.. I have never, ever had a bad deal from the net.

Best to you all,
Mike
Old 03-17-2002, 06:05 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default BUYING ONLINE

How safe is it to reply to a post like -I am posting this item for sale for a friend. What is the best way to do this? Or is it best not to deal, especially when the seller(once you got him on phone) does not want to send the item untill he gets yor money. Thanks John
Old 03-17-2002, 06:33 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Money?

The person would be crazy to send the item without your money in hand. Take a look at some discussion about bad deals. I never sell anything without the cash, even locally. Why would I give someone something and trust they will pay me??
Old 03-17-2002, 07:16 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SELLERS & BUYERS

4*60 The other way around may be just as crazy. You send money and get nothing or junk. Waht say ya. How much dealing have you done online?
Old 03-17-2002, 08:59 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that by sending money you take the chance. I have done what I can to evaluate people before sending money. On Ebay I won't deal with someone who hasn't any transactions or who doesn't impress me. I have bought about a half a dozen RC items on line in the last 12 months and have sold at least a dozen items. I admit it. It's a better position to be selling because you see the MO or paypal or cash first. Here, I already have an unofficial list of users I would not deal with.

I am way ahead online, because I have gotten very good deals over all and I've sold stuff to people that would have been thrown out because there is no local market(very specialized).

"Selling for a friend", would be a first red flag to me, not necessarily killing an offer but I would want excellent pictures and excellent communication. Whenever communication seems poor I walk away. Most serious people get back to you very quickly and answer questions to the point.

Failing all that I will be the intermediary and hold the cash, if you like . For huge dollars I would probably consider an escrow service??, but my biggest deals have been for less than $250.
Old 03-17-2002, 11:29 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

rcman:
Just curious why you wouldn't send money to a PO Box ? I
have a sporting goods store in a small town with mail going
to a PO Box. I couldn't sell you a plane because of that ?
Old 03-18-2002, 12:22 AM
rcman-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default Sending money to a post office box

There is a difference between sending money to an established, well know business that uses a post office box versus an individual who uses one. This post is dealing with buying from individuals, not businesses.

Using a post office box is a way for a fraudulent seller to insulate himself from people he scams. If he uses a fake name, it would be very difficult to find him and recover funds. If a seller gives a street address and you verify it using the online yellow pages or similar web site, at least you know you are dealing with a real person, someone you can go after if he rips you off. If you pay by U.S. mail, you can file a complaint with the postal service. They will investigate and as a consequence, they can shut off U.S. mail delivery to the offender.

I would look at the PO Box address as a big red flag and would want a lot of other assurances before I would send money to it. Perhaps using the word "never" was too extreme.
Old 03-18-2002, 02:28 AM
Ed Smith

I was criticized for my post about not buying from unknown sources. Since then I have read on this Forum, post after post listing the precautions to take to prevent one from being the victim of a scam.

My way is a lot easier and guaranteed. None of the other suggestions are!

Ed S
Old 03-18-2002, 02:37 AM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Default Honest People

I must admit. It has happen to me, and from a forum host. I would never offer someone something than take a higher price.
I don't care if it was 1000 bucks. I offered a amount and was counter offered and emailed him back and he said someone else
offered more. It pisses me off. If you offer a counter offer stick to it until the person reply's---------or keep your mouth shut and just say no thank you. It will be remembered and you will be bit in the butt

David R

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.