Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Don Muddiman Flying Machine

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Don Muddiman Flying Machine

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Muddiman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Don Muddiman Flying Machine

Laserworks was in the wrong cutting the kits as he did not have my premission or East R/C who had the contract at the time.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:22 PM
mwhar760
My Feedback: (18)

well that explains it!!!! so i'm guessing you still have the copyright???? if so cool !!!!the first and lastime i seen you fly was at a byron show years ago and one of the f-15 would'nt run right and you only flew one!!!! seen you do your famous flight with the machine pretty cool back then!!!!if i remember the weather was rainy!!!!!question i want to ask is can you still do it!!!!!!!????? you a good pilot !!!!!!kudos on a good design!!!!!by the way i have had 3 over the years!!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:52 PM
greg d
My Feedback: (34)

ok whats up with the dates of these posts there from 2008?
Old 06-22-2011, 03:49 AM
Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: greg d

ok whats up with the dates of these posts there from 2008?

This plane has been around since just after Christ

it has quite a following and is finally going to be available to the masses as an ARF......so that is good.

we need some fresh blood in this thread, so welcome!

Rich and I need some more guys with a FM at Markham Park...... Where you guys at?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59692.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	1626237  
Old 06-22-2011, 04:54 AM
mercura

Hi All,
Just started to build my FM from plans. Great to see it will soon be an ARF so many more can enjoy
Dave
Old 06-22-2011, 07:44 AM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmm.....looks like we have the makings of a World Wide Movement, and once those ARF's hit the tarmac ( a sick pun)
.....this thing is sure to go ballistic!!( another sick pun)....LOL

I think we need a new Website...
The Flying Machine Brotherhood!!!!!!!

The FMB....I like it!!!
Old 06-22-2011, 04:50 PM
mr.snaproll
My Feedback: (38)

I agree. The Flying Machine brotherhood is on
Old 06-23-2011, 02:19 AM
pmarkey
My Feedback: (5)

Fred

Will the ARF have dual Aileron servos, or will it be true to the original plans of a single aileron servo?

Thanks in advance

Paul
Old 06-23-2011, 04:27 AM
Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: pmarkey

Fred

Will the ARF have dual Aileron servos, or will it be true to the original plans of a single aileron servo?

Thanks in advance

Paul
outstanding question as I would say that was the no 1 mod from the OEM design.

The belcranks are "Old School" and now that digital servos are so cheap, I like the dual servo setup for sure......

I have actually landed an Extra with one aileron (Not easy) but saved the plane

Count me in on the brotherhood!

-Tom

Signature update = Flying Machine Brotherhood Member 119!
Old 06-23-2011, 06:35 AM
Condor060
My Feedback: (2)

Ahh yes, the old bell cranks. THe kit will have dual Aileron servos. I was just talking to an old friend the other day about flying Byron Models in the early 80s with those Kraft servos. How did we ever survive without a ga-billion oz of torque and .04 servo speeds or a Flying Machine with one lonely 30 oz torque plastic geared servo with bell cranks. Even the 1/5 scale Byron Mustang, Christen Eagle, and F-16only had a single servo for Ailerons, elevator, and rudder. Push pull, what was that???? As you can imagine (Flutter) was the biggest problem we had to overcome on the big models.

I liked the bell cranks myself. Kind of cool if you ask me. A singleMKS wing servo with 200 oz of torque and .025 speed would be the trick but somehow our RC world demands duel servos for almost everything now. Even the little Venom50 mm foam jets get the duel servotreatment. I never figured out how we gained so much servotechnology, speed, and power, but somehow wound up selling twice as many servos for a single model. I have a Aeroworks Mustang and it requires 11 servos (with a cost of over 900 bucks) if you go by the manufacture setup.

If I could go back to 1981 tomorrowthe first thing I would do is make some foamysget a patend.

ALAS, THATSIT. AFOAMYFLYINGMACHINE.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:20 AM
Muddiman

1) RC Maniac119 -The O.S. 32 is a hot engine for sure but I don't think it would have the low end torque to swing a 9x6 and accelerate the FM quickly out of it's stalled maneuvers. But I could be wrong.
2) CONDOR Hobbies per contract now has all rights to the Flying Machine.
3) The new FM ARF will be using two mini servos for the ailerons.
4) Using a tuned pipe can add up to 800-1500 RPM depending upon your setup. The muffled version works just as well. This a a major performance boost.
5) I have not found a source for the 4D Carburetor other than buying an old engine. Tower sells the .55 carb but it's a bit pricey. The other option I have not tried is using the Thunder Tiger .46 Pro engine or it's carb on the OS .46Ax.

Don
Old 06-23-2011, 11:26 AM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey All, So is someone going to assign #'s to the "Brotherhood"? And Don, do you still have rights to plan sales??? or contact Condor for those also. Need to get off my duff & get a set of plans. Many Thanx

Mike Brennan
Club Saito #723
FMB WannaB
Old 06-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Muddiman

CONDOR and I have an agreement that I will sell the plans and instructions until the ARF is released. You can purchase the plans via my web page, I also have .60 size plans of the FM. I like the Brotherhood idea, maybe we can get Fred to add it to the CONDOR web site.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: Muddiman

1) RC Maniac119 -The O.S. 32 is a hot engine for sure but I don't think it would have the low end torque to swing a 9x6 and accelerate the FM quickly out of it's stalled maneuvers. But I could be wrong.
2) CONDOR Hobbies per contract now has all rights to the Flying Machine.
3) The new FM ARF will be using two mini servos for the ailerons.
4) Using a tuned pipe can add up to 800-1500 RPM depending upon your setup. The muffled version works just as well. This a a major performance boost.
5) I have not found a source for the 4D Carburetor other than buying an old engine. Tower sells the .55 carb but it's a bit pricey. The other option I have not tried is using the Thunder Tiger .46 Pro engine or it's carb on the OS .46Ax.

Don

Holly mackrel I need to get a tuned pipe.......800-1500 RPM is way more than I expected.

Now I know why this guy was killing me with a P51 and a tuned pipe

Old 06-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Nitro-Tom

Don

I ordered the regular plans about 2 years ago, and I need the .60 sized before they go away.....How do I order the .60 sized and are they more $$$$

Thanks again for all you support over the years on the FM........

Flying machine Brotherhood Member 119!
Old 06-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Condor060
My Feedback: (2)

We will have a place on the website for the Flying Machine Brotherhood. Don will be Sgt Hulka, Our Big Toe.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:19 PM
mercura

Must get my hands on a .60 size plan soon. Was unaware they were available.

Dave.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:48 PM
xlr82v2
My Feedback: (1)

Same here! I have to have a set of the .60 size plans!

I looked on Don's website, but don't see them, or where to specify on the order form.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Muddiman

Click on the button to purchase the .40 plans and add a note you want the .60 Flying Machine plans.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:18 PM
xlr82v2

Don,

Payment sent for the 60 size plans
Old 06-27-2011, 08:06 PM
xlr82v2

Don,

The 60 size FM plans arrived today. Thank you for the SUPER FAST service!

I notice that you seem to favor the 40 size FM over the 60 size (only because it seems you don't talk much about the 60). What do you like better about the 40 FM? I also noticed that the 60 has a more symmetrical airfoil than the 40, just curious why you made the change in airfoil?

I've got one airplane (not a Flying Machine) on the building bench right now... as soon as it's done, there will be no more builds until a FM is completed!!
Old 06-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bump to the top.

I still want a Flying Machine ARF. Please put me on the reserved list.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:52 AM
Muddiman

The 60 size flies almost identical to the 40 with the following exceptions,
1) Size effects the aerobatic quickness/response not to say the 60 is slow by any means, just that any time you scale a model up you start to affect the performance of these features.
2) The airfoil change was a benefit to increasing the speed. As you scale up a model of this type your wing loading typically gets lighter reducing the need to produce more lift at slow speeds.
I flew to 60 size for a few years way back in the mid 90's. At that time I was not happy with the selection and performance of the 60 size engines. I ended up using one of the F-15's OS MAX .77 ducted fan rear rotor engines, MAC tuned pipe, 11x7 Rev-up prop, 15% Byron Castrol/Syn Blend fuel and a in-flight needle valve. The engine setup was very loud but accelerated like an Estes Rocket when you went ROG to vertical. I needed the in-flight needle valve to richen the fuel mixture during high G maneuvers. On the first proto-type during a full throttle pull out I ripped out the firewall with engine never to be seen again. We looked for days using metal detectors. I thought the engine had just starved for fuel until I noticed during the glide back to the field it was getting tail heavy. I then redesigned the firewall mounting using a similar method for mounting the wing. I flew it for a quite a while until its fate was ended during one of my death dives requiring a few more inches of pullout room. Those were busy years with the Cloud Dancers Show Team and I always want to build another one but never seemed to get the time. Dale Nalley another show team member built a 96" Carbon fiber wing version of the Flying Machine only to have battery failure during the first flight. We had a new battery sponsor which did not last long after that crash and our finding of why the battery failed. He did get some stick time before the crash and said it flew great. I will see if he has any pictures I can post.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:53 AM
Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: Muddiman

Click on the button to purchase the .40 plans and add a note you want the .60 Flying Machine plans.

.60 sized plans ordered!

Thanks Don (Now I have both sets)
Old 07-01-2011, 01:28 PM
xlr82v2

Don,

Thanks for the reply on the FM 60. I sure would like to see some video of the 60 size FM with the .77VRDF's! I remember years back guys were building .20 size Stiks and putting the OS .25VRDF's with tuned pipes on them, and holy cow! The way you described it is just perfect... they didn't perform a takeoff, they Launched!

Have you ever lost the firewall out of a 40 size FM?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.