Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Don Muddiman Flying Machine

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Don Muddiman Flying Machine

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Mode One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Don Muddiman Flying Machine

O.K.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:47 PM
rod5011

i purchased a progressive aviation kit on ebay last year and will be building it next after my current project.also lazer works in witchita falls,texas is currently laser cutting a short kit for it they did a small 25inch micro version for me for my micro dan speed electric motor.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Rod,
Just curious, but did you buy a Flying Machine because you've already seen one fly? If not, what made you decide to buy a FM?
Old 01-06-2009, 10:57 PM
rod5011

Flying Machine-this is the price for the short kit from www.lazer-works.com
$51.18

By: Don Muddiman

Wingspan: 44 in.

.32/.53 2 Stroke

4 ch radio
Old 01-06-2009, 11:03 PM
rod5011

i saw mac hodges from andersonville ga fly one in the early 90's and it did all the stuff don could do with his when i saw the dead stop blurr of a snap and the sound it made was when i said I WANT ONEand never bought one until i saw one in kit form from progressive aviation on ebay and bid till i won it. but now you can get the short kit without the sticks eddie just cuts the hard parts out basically the parts from the plans templates from dons new cad plan set.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:07 PM
rod5011

oh by the way look on the misc page on lazer works web site that is where you can find the fm thier is no pic but trust me i have been dealing with these guys for a while and they do the best laser work around BAR NONE they have cut over a dozen kits for me whatever you want they can do any size
Old 01-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Dave McDonald

So is there anyone out there that wants a Flying Machine who has never seen a Flying Machine fly? [sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]
Old 01-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Tweek

ORIGINAL: Dave McDonald

So is there anyone out there that wants a Flying Machine who has never seen a Flying Machine fly? [sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]
I don't know what the answer to that is, but we have a pretty long waiting list for the ARF version now. Maybe they have all seen'm fly, who knows. Kinda doesn't matter, once more of them are in the field and folks see what it can do, more will probably want to grab one. I've talked with the factory again to see what we can do on unbuilt wood kits...I'll see where that goes.

Dave
Old 01-06-2009, 11:18 PM
rod5011

not trying to get off the fm subject but the miss martha by bob richards is as close to the fm in flight i just finished one and it does all the same stuff but i had highly moded it to do so here are some pics i hope i uploaded them right
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54192.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1105301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34905.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1105302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50765.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1105303  
Old 01-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Tweek

ORIGINAL: rod5011

not trying to get off the fm subject but the miss martha by bob richards is as close to the fm in flight i just finished one and it does all the same stuff but i had highly moded it to do so here are some pics i hope i uploaded them right
Yep, it's bad. It was one of the hot funfly birds back in the day. I fly with Bob on a regular basis. A few folks have asked about kitting it, and Bob and I have been talking about giving it a few updates and maybe ARFing it.

Dude, that's one sick covering scheme! Looks great!

Dave
Old 01-06-2009, 11:41 PM
rod5011

i recently have added ceramic bearings to the engine which is an asp super red head,macs header and unmuffled pipe,dual ailerons,i shortened the ailerons leaving 1 1/2inches on the trailing tips to stop the flutter it was known to have wrapped double layer heavy fiberglass cloth around the wing bolt down block down into the fuse sides with epoxy to keep the wing from coming off on high speed snaps.i can do a full throttle verticle dive into a flat snap with no problems may post video soon...oh by the way i was probably one of the guys who asked bob about kitting the m martha because i wanted to.i am working with a china company now on arfing a 1/6th scale 96inch fiesler storch.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:59 PM
Tweek

Man, that Storch is one cool old bird. Other than seeing them in the mags, I've never seen an actual model of one.

Dave
Old 01-07-2009, 12:10 AM
rod5011

here are some pics of the prototype i recieved from the china company i had to change alot and i mean alot of things on it to make it right i am almost done with it but this is only the first one hope the cost doesnt kill the project i had sticker shock when they qoated me the 1st prototype.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78962.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1105325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35443.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	1105326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68600.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	1105327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc85575.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1105328  
Old 01-07-2009, 12:26 AM
Tweek

here are some pics of the prototype i recieved from the china company i had to change alot and i mean alot of things on it to make it right i am almost done with it but this is only the first one hope the cost doesnt kill the project i had sticker shock when they qoated me the 1st prototype.

Sure looks good! Yeah, it does cost a lot, and take a lot of time to get everything right. We've found it takes us about a year from prototype to production, to get the kinks worked out and ready to go. It costs a load for the prototypes, and you'll have to pass those back and forth a bit to get everything like you want for production...then production requires a substantial investment in addition.

Dave
Old 01-07-2009, 12:33 AM
rod5011

so when about is the release on the jerrys spoiler due? alot of guys in my club want one
Old 01-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Tweek

so when about is the release on the jerrys spoiler due? alot of guys in my club want one
We're working on, what I _hope_ to be, the last pre-production models right now. The last batch FINALLY arrived about 2 weeks ago (waayyyyy later than I thought!), and they look good except for about 3 little items. The price has over doubled since we started working on it a little over a year ago. Oh well...hoping in about 2-3 months, now.

Dave
Old 01-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Muddiman

Hello Dave. I tried to give you a call today but I guess you were closed. Well after many hours of documentation (notes and photos) of things that needed to be addressed in the prototype, I finally was ready to take the Flying Machine to the field this weekend. I put it through the paces, full throttle nose down snaps, spins, outside snaps, high G turns, knight flight, Knife edge loops, slow flight, the famous high speed dive into the wad up coming to a complete stop in the air, you name it I tried and could not tear the wing off. I have to say it's an ARF that fly’s just as a Flying Machine should, I never thought I could say that about an ARF but the time has come. I am very pleased with the kit, the covering and marking look awesome. The construction is top notch and meets the requirements other than some suggested changes that will make it a first class kit. I believe once the prototype is final and in production it would take no longer than six hours or less to have it ready to fly. This sure beats spending forty plus hours building, covering and adding markings. I can now practice my death dive without the worry all that bench time building a new one. The weight ended up being two ounces lighter that my normal built-up Flying Machine. I used the following hardware: O.S. MAX 46AX engine, Master Airscrew 9 1/2 x 6 prop., Mac 7.5 unmuffled tuned pipe and header, Tru-Turn Spinner 2 1/4", 10% Byron Premium Sport fuel, Kraft 8 oz. fuel tank, Rossi #6 glow plug, Spetkrum DX7 TX, AR7000 receiver, 1100 MA battery pack, three DS821's and two MN48's for the ailerons. The biggest weight loss was from the ARF built-up wing as compared to the foam core wing 1 3/4 ounces difference.

Thanks again Dave for making this happen.

Later,

Don
www.eagle-i.us/fm
Old 01-26-2009, 10:20 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have seen that last minute pullout from a straight down dive a few times..it still scares me thinking of it...seems like he did it dead stick, then pulled out..flew some stunts on momentum, and landed with it usually rolling up to his feet..unreal...
Old 01-27-2009, 12:39 AM
Tweek

ORIGINAL: Muddiman

Hello Dave. I tried to give you a call today but I guess you were closed.
Excellant!! Yep, we're closed on monday through the winter months, but glad the flight testing went well. I'll give you a buzz tomorrow, so we can go over the last items for modification. I'm excited to see this kit become reality, there's a lot of folks looking forward to getting an ARF of this baby!

Dave
Old 01-28-2009, 12:05 AM
Dave McDonald

If Don likes the Flying Machine ARF........then all of us Flying Machine fanatics will like the ARF too.

I still want one!
Old 01-29-2009, 12:42 AM
East RC

Awesome, Don! Thanks for the updates and feedback. I would like to plan a trip in the near future to get some HD video footage of you and the Flying Machine in action. I'll get with you on the phone sometime this week to try and work it out. I'm about due for a long road trip anyway.

Chris Hockaday
Old 01-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Muddiman

Hey Chris. Come on down the weather is great! I was just talking to my best friend Dale the other day about getting some HD footage. I own an Canon HD camcorder and have access to a second one. We were planing to get some footage one weekend and putting together an updated video showing the FM ARF. I'll be gone on vacation the weekend of Feburary 7th and 8th so that weekend is out. Let me know?

Don
Old 01-29-2009, 06:28 PM
East RC

ORIGINAL: Muddiman

Hey Chris. Come on down the weather is great! I was just talking to my best friend Dale the other day about getting some HD footage. I own an Canon HD camcorder and have access to a second one. We were planing to get some footage one weekend and putting together an updated video showing the FM ARF. I'll be gone on vacation the weekend of Feburary 7th and 8th so that weekend is out. Let me know?

Don
That's great, Don! I am also running Canon gear. Sounds like we will be able to get a good variety of perspectives at once. I'm looking forward to it!
Old 01-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Tweek

I'd love to make the trek as well, though I'm tied up on the Indy dealer show (motorcycle) Feb 11-17th, then Daytona Beach somewhere around the first of March. Hey, that might be an idea, I'll be down that way for Bike Week, anyway...

Dave
Old 01-29-2009, 07:45 PM
East RC

That's the ticket! Let's plan for that if possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.