Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Don Muddiman Flying Machine

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Don Muddiman Flying Machine

Old 11-11-2011, 05:04 PM
bkg1956

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Don Muddiman Flying Machine

Dave, are you still using Coke can mufflers on the 55AX?
Old 11-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, most of my 3D profiles have Coke Can Pipes on a 55AX. The Chinn Yak needs the weight of the muffler in the nose, or it would have one too.

I love the 55AX engines, but I still don't think they are a good match for a Flying Machine.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:32 AM
Nitro-Tom

O/S .46 or Rossi "Speed"

Here is an example of both

Rich's "Rossi" is much faster with the tuned pipe and I think the rossi is the block of choice

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43249.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	1687672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26713.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	1687673  
Old 11-17-2011, 03:58 AM
screamrp

Beautiful Flying Machines !!
- Wait till you get your hands on one rigged with a Dub-Jett 50 Sport Motorturning 19,200. rpms with a Master Air Screw 10x5 prop. This makes it a whole new ball game. !! It's an absolute rocket and the ONLY Plane that can out run my Scream Machines. !! Dub-Jetts have the best power to weight ratio you can get, plus come with a light weight perfect tuned pipe already. // Try one once, you owe it to yourself. !!
Old 11-17-2011, 07:30 AM
flyingmachine
My Feedback: (9)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a dubb on a diamond dust WATCH OUT!
Old 11-17-2011, 12:10 PM
screamrp

YOU Got it man !! The very first time I saw a Dub-Jett 50 Sport,was back in 2000' and it was on a Duster plus had a carbureter, most did not and were used only on Pylon planes. // So I immediately bought the 50 Sport model and ran those on my Scream Machines for years. Got to know Dub very well and for a couple of years he sent me all his newest Mufflers to see if the Scream Machine could break the baffle loose inside again like I had done numerous times before with high G maneuvers and wide open straight down at the ground WAD-UPS ( jam both sticks forward and together toward antenna) much worse than the so called blender. Well the rest is history, he perfected his mufflers so I could not break them !! and that's what comes on your motor today. They are the best muffler out there. !! // If you flew a Duster with a Jett 50 on it, YOU ARE THE MAN !!!! roger p.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: screamrp

YOU Got it man !! The very first time I saw a Dub-Jett 50 Sport, was back in 2000' and it was on a Duster plus had a carbureter, most did not and were used only on Pylon planes. // So I immediately bought the 50 Sport model and ran those on my Scream Machines for years. Got to know Dub very well and for a couple of years he sent me all his newest Mufflers to see if the Scream Machine could break the baffle loose inside again like I had done numerous times before with high G maneuvers and wide open straight down at the ground WAD-UPS ( jam both sticks forward and together toward antenna) much worse than the so called blender. Well the rest is history, he perfected his mufflers so I could not break them !! and that's what comes on your motor today. They are the best muffler out there. !! // If you flew a Duster with a Jett 50 on it, YOU ARE THE MAN !!!! roger p.

+1

I agree with all that, but if you’re an O/S guy....really you need help at first.....to tackle a dub or higher performance motor?

it is a lot more expensive of a motor combo, and either way, if you are committed you have to run different fuel....i.e I run the O/S so it keeps with the 15% nitro I run on all other glow planes....so it works out for me.... but not every ounce of power I could have.......I do not even have tuned pipe, etc.....

I think my next bird is going to be the Rossi Speed 45 .....Tuned pipe and 5% nitro

Rich (Flyingmachine) has shown me the light :-)

Can’t wait for my new ARF from Condor!
Old 11-17-2011, 02:26 PM
mrsand

I was looking at the Jett site...those motors are priced 275 to 350 bucks on the low end. Looks like the cream of the crop though. I can get maybe 2 new os motors for the price!

Maybe some day I'll force myself to buy a TOTL motor
Old 11-17-2011, 02:55 PM
screamrp

You get what you pay for and yes the Dub-Jett 50 sport with muffler costs 310.00 plus tax. The muffler that comes with it now is the high performance one, and nowadays the Motor is a BAR STOCK machined motor much better than the old ones. However, I ran all my Dub-Jett 50s for at least 3 to 4 years and ran them hard !!, andstill soldthe whole plane to other folkswho are still flying themtoday,like Kevin Goza!!. // I use to wear out at least (2) O.S. 46 FX motors per year before, they just can't take thebeating, and I ran them hard and cool. !! Ilove O.S. Motors too,don't get me wrong, butif you want thespeed, and the best, you'll pay to get it. In the long run, Dub-Jetts are much cheaper to own, you onlyneed ONE !!!! You still use Omega PINK 15% fuel with the Jett 50s , never the GREEN Crap !! NEVER !! // Go to Dub-Jetts Hall of Fame, he even says it right there; Roger runs his Motors harder than any customer he has. !! True story !! -rp
Old 11-17-2011, 06:18 PM
bkg1956

You got that right, Roger! LOVE the Jett .50 BSE! Different sound, response, power curve, light weight. Sounds like an F1 race engine! Believe me when you fire one up EVERYONE pays attention. Not because it's loud, but it's just strong!
Old 11-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Nitro-Tom

You get what you pay for and yes the Dub-Jett 50 sport with muffler costs 310.00 plus tax. The muffler that comes with it now is the high performance one, and nowadays the Motor is a BAR STOCK machined motor much better than the old ones. However, I ran all my Dub-Jett 50s for at least 3 to 4 years and ran them hard !!, and still sold the whole plane to other folks who are still flying them today, like Kevin Goza !!. // I use to wear out at least (2) O.S. 46 FX motors per year before, they just can't take the beating, and I ran them hard and cool. !! I love O.S. Motors too, don't get me wrong, but if you want the speed, and the best, you'll pay to get it. In the long run, Dub-Jetts are much cheaper to own, you only need ONE !!!! You still use Omega PINK 15% fuel with the Jett 50s , never the GREEN Crap !! NEVER !! // Go to Dub-Jetts Hall of Fame, he even says it right there; Roger runs his Motors harder than any customer he has. !! True story !! -rp

I thought they prefer to run on 5% or ZERO Nitro.....
Old 11-21-2011, 02:52 PM
screamrp

Nope !! when it comes to Jett 50 Motors, Dub will tell you the same thing; use 15% , no less !! Also, the average guy NOT Pylon racing, never needs to use 20% or more, you're just turning your motor into a blow torch for no reason. // The biggest mistake people make with Dub-Jett 50s is TOO HIGH OF A PITCH PROP,over load it, and burn itup.You have to let these motors turn the HIGH rpms with a richer setting , unload and get on the pipe like a dirt bike. !! Always keep it tuned so you see a light smoke trail from the muffler at all times and you will love it. !! If you're wanting this motor to also HOVER your plane, sorry, it has a slight dead spot there, go buy a Helicopter. !! If you're thinking , well I'll just buy a O.S. Max 55 then it'll do everything !! WRONG ! It's got a dead spot there too, plus it DOES NOT perform at HIGH rpms, it's happy at 15,500 to 16,000 rpms. It is a okay motor, but the O.S. 46 to me was better. // Nevertry to compare an O.S. motor to a Jett 50. The Jett 50 is a RACE motor designed by Dub-Jett to go after his pal NELSON. !!!! These motors are in a class of their own. !! - Keep em SCREAMIN !! -roger p.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:07 AM
Muddiman

I received the second prototype yesterday (November 26, 2011). It looks good but there needs to be a few changes and a test flight before the final release. Hopefully I can get this done within the next couple of weeks. I plan on trying a Rossi .45 using a Mac tuned pipe. I know the Jett .50 and OS Max .55 does not have good mid-range performance, even though the Flying Machine is a full throttle aerobatic aircraft my demos require good mid-range performance. What kind of mid-range performance does the Rossi .45 have? I remember using the Rossi .40 many years ago and it performed great except for the added weight of the engine. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Dave McDonald

Thanks for the update Don!

Hopefully the changes needed are minor and can quickly be incorporated at the factory.

I used to have a Rossi 40 and a Rossi 45 many years ago. My favorite was always the 40 for some reason. Back then they were being flown as ON/OFF engines, so I have no idea how the 45 throttles at mid range.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:06 PM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave McDonald, and most of the ProBro's that fly O.S.55's have solved the mid range problems. A Mac's header pipe and an 8 oz.Coke Can Muffler!!

I'm sure McDDD will jump in here with his research!
Old 11-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Dave McDonald

The CCP (Coke Can Pipe) and an OS F plug give the 55AX a smooth mid range in a 3D plane, but I'm still not so sure a 55AX is a good match for a Flying Machine. In the 3D planes, we're using a 13x4 prop on the 55AX at fairly low RPMs. The FM really needs a high RPM engine to perform well, and every time we've tried a 55AX on a "go-fast" type plane, we were disappointed.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:47 PM
mr.snaproll
My Feedback: (38)

I to am thinking about going with the Rossi 45 blue head, but will it be a drop in fit to my FM. A OS 46 fits perfect in the nose.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:49 AM
flyingmachine
My Feedback: (9)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a rossi speed in mine "blue head" says speed on the side, it cooks!

un muffled tuned pipe also,

hehe
Old 11-29-2011, 02:04 PM
mrsand

hey flyingmachine...what type of unmuffled tuned pipe are you using? thanks

mrsand
Old 12-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: flyingmachine

I have a rossi speed in mine ''blue head'' says speed on the side, it cooks!

un muffled tuned pipe also,
hehe

I can speak to FlyingMachine and Rossi, that is for sure.

That's the only engine I have seen in your FM's and I think I have seen 3

They haul the mail, if you know what I mean (Those Rosi's).....leaving my O/S behind [X(]

Don , as far as I am concerned, the Rossi 45 and Max pipe and header is the way to go!

more $$$ than I would like, or an O/S .46, but not much more.....well worth the $$$

Great quality motor......

Old 12-02-2011, 06:36 PM
RC MANIAC119

You speed freak guys have to remember that this A.R.F. should appeal to the masses, and if he markets this beast with a Rossi requirement, it might mean a bunch of LOST future sales!!

I think it would be better to use, and recommend the O.S.FX46....just the original package!!! Everybody has an old 46 laying around.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:30 PM
screamrp

Hi RC Maniac,Pleasetrust what I say here. The Flying Machine isVERY versatile;

Don Muddimans Flying Machine ARFs weigh the same or less than the scratch built ones we haveflown at Sky Pirates RC Club using everything from Dub-Jett 50s to O.S.46, Thunder Tiger 46 Pro, K&B 46, O.S. 40, and it even flew with a O.S.32 on it, but has to be made to fit, but the point is, it flew pretty well even under powered, which helps allot of guys slowlywork their way up to being an advanced Pilot who can ring it out some day.

This is the REAL PLUS also; if you want to go all ELECTRIC, no problem !! Here is the best, cheapest way to go and thespeed is good too. !!

Motor use a NEO-DYM 25 - with a 10x8E APC Prop, or play around some on your own.

ESC - (electronic speed controller) use a 75 Amp ice light byPhoenix Castle up to a 100 amp . // Don't go cheap here !!

Lipo Battery use a (WinForce) 4-cell 14.8 volt3000mah 35C rating, only 277 grams- you can get these on Ebay from GO-MARKET ( Hobby King ) for 35.00 free shipping. Never pay 85.00 for one.!!

You will see higher than recommended amp and watt readings, don't worry about that, the key to Electrics is GET AIR FLOW IN & 4x that much OUT. // So modify the nose with GILL slits and air intake underneath front bottom of fuselage. // Then on the rear bottom of fuselage between bulkeds, open up a 1 3/4" wide x 3" long rectangle hole (door) to vent as much air out as possible. Be sure to cut the front of this opening at a 45 degree slant toward the front so as to not grab air, but help exit it out. Hope my directions help some here.??
This set up will give you flight times as long as any fuel plane, and enough speed to keepup orout run most. There are other Lipos you can try also, I'm just saying this is the best and cheapest.

Now, if you want to go all Electric andrun the same speed as the O.S. 55 , still no problem with Don's own plane. // Lighten it upevery where you can, use Hitech HS-65-HB Servos, same set up as above, but goto a 5 cellLipo ora 6-cell if you really want to push it to the max, but you will also have tochoose props that let the motor wind on up and never over load an electric more than 10% of it's rpms. Keep the motors cool andyou can out perform anybody else around.
Hereis an example of what I'm trying to say. //On my Scream Machine Reaper, Irun a 34 amp / 275 watt motor. However, I push it to60 amps & 970 to 1017watts, but I keep itcool by using a RAM AIR hatch cover.
The other advantage of the Flying Machine is, you have room enough on the bottom to make a trap door for easy loading and unloading yourLipo battery without removing the wing.

So the Flying Machine can be whatever you make it. !! There is no limit with Don's plane, your BRAIN is the only limit, you the Pilot are the weakest link here. !! LOLs !! Roger Purcell The King of Scream LOLs !!- but DON is the MASTER !!

Old 12-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Nitro-Tom

Hi RC Maniac, Please trust what I say here. The Flying Machine is VERY versatile;

Don Muddimans Flying Machine ARFs weigh the same or less than the scratch built ones we have flown at Sky Pirates RC Club using everything from Dub-Jett 50s to O.S.46, Thunder Tiger 46 Pro, K&B 46, O.S. 40, and it even flew with a O.S.32 on it, but has to be made to fit, but the point is, it flew pretty well even under powered, which helps allot of guys slowly work their way up to being an advanced Pilot who can ring it out some day.

This is the REAL PLUS also; if you want to go all ELECTRIC, no problem !! Here is the best, cheapest way to go and the speed is good too. !!

Motor use a NEO-DYM 25 - with a 10x8E APC Prop, or play around some on your own.

ESC - (electronic speed controller) use a 75 Amp ice light by Phoenix Castle up to a 100 amp . // Don't go cheap here !!

Lipo Battery use a (WinForce) 4-cell 14.8 volt 3000mah 35C rating, only 277 grams - you can get these on Ebay from GO-MARKET ( Hobby King ) for 35.00 free shipping. Never pay 85.00 for one.!!

You will see higher than recommended amp and watt readings, don't worry about that, the key to Electrics is GET AIR FLOW IN & 4x that much OUT. // So modify the nose with GILL slits and air intake underneath front bottom of fuselage. // Then on the rear bottom of fuselage between bulkeds, open up a 1 3/4'' wide x 3'' long rectangle hole (door) to vent as much air out as possible. Be sure to cut the front of this opening at a 45 degree slant toward the front so as to not grab air, but help exit it out. Hope my directions help some here.??
This set up will give you flight times as long as any fuel plane, and enough speed to keep up or out run most. There are other Lipos you can try also, I'm just saying this is the best and cheapest.

Now, if you want to go all Electric and run the same speed as the O.S. 55 , still no problem with Don's own plane. // Lighten it up every where you can, use Hitech HS-65-HB Servos, same set up as above, but go to a 5 cell Lipo or a 6-cell if you really want to push it to the max, but you will also have to choose props that let the motor wind on up and never over load an electric more than 10% of it's rpms. Keep the motors cool and you can out perform anybody else around.
Here is an example of what I'm trying to say. // On my Scream Machine Reaper, I run a 34 amp / 275 watt motor. However, I push it to 60 amps & 970 to 1017 watts, but I keep it cool by using a RAM AIR hatch cover.
The other advantage of the Flying Machine is, you have room enough on the bottom to make a trap door for easy loading and unloading your Lipo battery without removing the wing.

So the Flying Machine can be whatever you make it. !! There is no limit with Don's plane, your BRAIN is the only limit, you the Pilot are the weakest link here. !! LOLs !! Roger Purcell The King of Scream LOLs !! - but DON is the MASTER !!

I agree the Electric options here are truly impresive and I would bet you see Condor with a e-Flying Machine or a converstion kit.

Rich(Flyingmachine) and I have also put forth serious interest in helping develop the "Composite" Flying machine and I have a Rosi Speed and Pipe just waiting for it.....

So does Rich.....he actually flies his in a scratch built FM airframe......and represents well I might add.....[X(]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30177.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	1694744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88883.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	1694745  
Old 12-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Nitro-Tom

I will own an E-Flying Machine one day for sure

Like my new Habu-32 on 6S

We'll see, the Habu is my 2nd Electric plane...my PA Extra MX is unlimited vertical with 6S

so far all my .60 Sized Electrics seem to be fine on 6S.......
Old 12-03-2011, 01:25 PM
RC MANIAC119

Guys....I didn't need a Flying Machine tutorial!! I knew how great this machine is, from the very first time I saw Don demo it at Mulberry Florida in 1983. ( Yeah, I've been flying that long)

I just want you guys to understand that WE need this design to hit the shelves, AND
it needs to be accepted by the widest demographic possible. If that happens, this ARF will be available for a very long time........GOOD FOR DON....GOOD FOR YOU, AND GOOD FOR ME!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.