Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

$3000 for Make-A-Wish!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 04:10 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $3000 for Make-A-Wish!

I had the pleasure today of dropping off the net proceeds of our club's annual Labor Day Air Show to Make-A-Wish Foundation of Nebraska:

http://www.omahawks.org/pdf/hawktalk/2008/HT200809.pdf

Our club raised $3000 after all expenses, in spite of having less-than-ideal weather this year. Our pilots were challenged with 25 to 35 mph gusts of wind, but braved the swirling gales to put on a good show for the public. We sold hot dogs, chips, soda, bottled water, snow cones, and baked goods to hungry and thirsty spectators. We also sold a large number of raffle tickets in order to give away dozens of very nice prizes, including our grand prize of a complete Avistar Select RTF airplane package.

This event is usually the highlight of our flying season and a great deal of fun! It's also a great deal of work, but our club always comes together every Labor Day to put on a good show and to raise as much as we can for a worthy cause. Last year we managed to raise over $4200. Our newsletter editor was able to secure a $1500 donation from an anonymous donor. This year the grand total isn't quite as high, but we raised more than last year from our regular concession sales, raffle sales, and general donations.

I just wanted to come here to the RCU clubhouse so I could brag up all of the terrific volunteers in the Omahawks RC Club who worked their butts off to make this all happen. Thanks again for all of the hard work! Sometimes it is possible for some real good to come out of a bunch of overgrown boys playing with their toy airplanes.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:27 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: $3000 for Make-A-Wish!

Way cool and indeed, good stuff. Dave
Old 10-14-2008, 08:44 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way to go -your club knows how to have fun and help other people at the same time-WAY COOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 07:10 AM
JasonS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You couldn't ask for a nicer bunch of guys than the Omahawks. I had the misfortune of putting my hand in a 18" composite prop at speed at the Omahawks field. With young kids and a busy career, I'm almost an invisible member. I fly maybe 6 times a year. However I was getting visits, check up calls, and well wishers for months after my accident. Public service is what these guys do.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:21 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Our club here in Northeast PA helps with the same charity. in the past years, 8 Years I believe, we have raised over 30,000 for the Make-A-Wish foundation.

Mark