Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RC Report Website?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: RC Report Website?

ORIGINAL: JDHammer

Nothing about this situation makes any sense to me. I count 54 advertisers in the latest February issue, some with multiple ads. Every letter from the readers echoes my sentiments exactly- The magazine is perfect, don't change a thing, we'll do whatever it takes on subscription rates to keep it going. Nothing was even tried! Maybe I just don't understand today's business world.
Very likely, the readers wouldn't take the subscription price increase the magazine needed to "stay alive", nor would the advertisers. For magazines (and newspapers), the ads carry the actual expenses of the magazine. Subscription prices barely cover the costs to mail them out. Raise advertising prices and the advertisers start to drop out. Companies seriously look at the return for each advertising dollar spent, and use that information to determine where the advertising dollars go. If a "catalog" magazine generates the sales, that's where the money goes. Can't look at it in any other light...not if you're an advertiser and want to stay in business.

There are some magazines that you can get for absolutely no charge at all! You don't have to belong to an association, you don't have to pay subscription fees, nothing. Just work in the "proper" field and you can subscribe to the magazine. They are entirely-supported by their advertising. Many "trade" publications operate just like that.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bax

Nothing about this situation makes any sense to me. I count 54 advertisers in the latest February issue, some with multiple ads. Every letter from the readers echoes my sentiments exactly- The magazine is perfect, don't change a thing, we'll do whatever it takes on subscription rates to keep it going. Nothing was even tried! Maybe I just don't understand today's business world.
Very likely, the readers wouldn't take the subscription price increase the magazine needed to "stay alive", nor would the advertisers. For magazines (and newspapers), the ads carry the actual expenses of the magazine. Subscription prices barely cover the costs to mail them out. Raise advertising prices and the advertisers start to drop out. Companies seriously look at the return for each advertising dollar spent, and use that information to determine where the advertising dollars go. If a "catalog" magazine generates the sales, that's where the money goes. Can't look at it in any other light...not if you're an advertiser and want to stay in business.

There are some magazines that you can get for absolutely no charge at all! You don't have to belong to an association, you don't have to pay subscription fees, nothing. Just work in the "proper" field and you can subscribe to the magazine. They are entirely-supported by their advertising. Many "trade" publications operate just like that.

Bax is correct. There are trade magazines supported only by advertisements. Also correct, RCR would probably need to substantially boost rates.

I, for one, believe the rates were entirely too low. I renewed in March 2008 for 48 months, $64. Figure out the per-issue price there.

Dave Olson
Old 01-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Nathan_L

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you owned a company that imported ARF's in the 15" to 60" wingpsan size would you get more bang for your buck advertising in RC/Report or another ad based magazine like FLY/RC ? Seriously.

Not all RC/Report readers are like this but I'm guessing on average they are less likely to buy an ARF, a small electric plane etc...than readers of the surviving magazines. That's where the ad revenue is coming from.

Nobody is selling ads to plan companies, building supplies, kit makers anymore. There are a few, but compare them to the other ads.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Daniel-EL
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A dadgum shame, for sure. Just got my final issue of RC Report and that was the first I'd heard about their financial troubles. I guess we've all got them right now, especially us retirees. To say I'm PO'd at t he Federal Government would be the understatment of the Century. They saw it coming and fiddled while Rome burned. I hate 'em all, but especially the RINOs.[:@]
Old 01-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Daniel-EL

In any case, I agree with RJCadet. I'll reread my old paper issues rather than squint at the photon tube.

Gordon, thank you for the great magazine while it lasted!

I just wonder if this is the beginning of the end for paper RC peridicals altogether. Hope not, but it seems like all paper based periodicals are in trouble these days including major newspapers.

I will really miss the articles from my favorite author, Dick Pettit. Dick, I hope you can find a home somewhere soon and keep up your maniac pace of model building and reporting.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:54 PM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

R/C REPORT dot net is well on the way and I'll be doing some of the same stuff for that medium that I have been doing for the one on the brown paper!

Just give us s little more time.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Gordon himself said it best in his March fairwell editorial: RCR failed first and foremost because of his bad management. I've always wondered why Gordon steadfastly refuse to go "glossy". I understand his dedication to maintain his content-to-fluff ratio, but magazines need to be flashy and colorful to attract attention on the newstand - and to succeed. You cannot serve your readers if you go under. Pack with the devil, yes. But it's the nature of the beast.

Having said that, I had at one time subscrbied to ALL the major RC rags. Slowly, I let all of them run out - except RCR. Still, every time I receive an issue of RCR, I wish it were glossy, flashy, chock full of stunning photos and - yes - ads, and still carry the same written content.

Love the content - hated the packaging!

My sub is supposed to run out in 2012, I think. Gordon need not worry about me asking for refund. Whatever I paid, I've already gotten my money's worth many issues ago.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:35 PM
J_Whitney

I HATE glossy paper! You need it for good looking photos, but it was hell on the eyes. One of the lesser reasons I stayed with RCR is because he used newsprint. The major reasons were the content and the contributors. And it was often very funny!
Old 01-29-2009, 07:15 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tony and Heather,

I don't know if this is too soon to ask or not, but will you be able to provide back issues? I still haven't received my Feb issue and folks are already talking about the March issue... I may have lost mine in the mail somehow. Don't mind buying a new one - well worth the price, if they will be available.

Best of luck wtih the new venture. I'll support it!!

Bob
Old 01-29-2009, 07:45 PM
hpiguy

I loved the newsprint issues. It let me know it was content over just showy just that never taught me something.

Too bad many of my R/C flying counterparts wanted flashy "advertiser approved" fluff over real article substance.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:48 PM
mogman

Bob, the March issue has a list of back issues that are still available.

Dave.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:33 PM
J_Whitney

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

Tony and Heather,

I don't know if this is too soon to ask or not, but will you be able to provide back issues? I still haven't received my Feb issue and folks are already talking about the March issue... I may have lost mine in the mail somehow. Don't mind buying a new one - well worth the price, if they will be available.

Best of luck wtih the new venture. I'll support it!!

Bob
Huh, and I thought I was the last guy in the continental US to get my issue. My February issue arrived about 2 days ago, Tony has published it to the web if yours never shows up.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:38 PM
mobyal

My Feb issue arrived Monday...
Old 01-29-2009, 09:51 PM
N1EDM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, Guys. I hope that my issue shows. For some reason, the first few months of the year are a very delivery for RCR, but this is even longer than usual. Oh well, I'll just hang on and hope that it arrives.

Thanks guys.

Bob
Old 01-29-2009, 10:09 PM
Daniel-EL

ORIGINAL: pettit

R/C REPORT dot net is well on the way and I'll be doing some of the same stuff for that medium that I have been doing for the one on the brown paper!

Good news! Thanks for the info....I'll keep my eyes peeled. I am dying to find out what that major kit was you were building but never got the chance to tell us about.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:08 PM
emailbanter

Rats ! RC Reports is my favorite RC magazine that tells it like it is. Good planes and equipment get good reviews, faulty ones get the report they deserve. Double rats that I just renewed my two year subscription too.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:34 PM
John Sohm

ORIGINAL: Daniel-EL

ORIGINAL: pettit

Good news! Thanks for the info....I'll keep my eyes peeled. I am dying to find out what that major kit was you were building but never got the chance to tell us about.

That's excellent except for one minor issue... my usual "reading room" does not have a computer but it does have excellent plumbing. I thought last year sucked when I lost my job in February but then I got a new, better job in December and things were looking good for a while. This is the most disheartening news since Nov 4th.

I would like to wish Gordon and the crew all the best and want to say that you're humor and wit, along with the best damn reviews of any magazine published, made for an excellent magazine and will be sorely missed. I only wish I had the funds personally to assist you during this time of economic downturn, and help you survive as a business and a public trust.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:41 PM
hpiguy

I see in the last issue I just received that Gordon is being stiffed on 18,000 in ad revenue.

I'd like to have the names of those advertisers so that I don't spend money with them. I won't support someone who had a part in putting the best R/C mag out of business.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:55 PM
acobra
My Feedback: (40)

[:@]Right ON!
Old 01-31-2009, 03:32 PM
lee292

I got my last issue day before yesterday, and like the many who have posted here, I am saddened by the loss of RC Report. I've subscribed to mags that have folded before, and they just stopped coming. Kudos to Gordon for having the integrity to announce he was ending publication and also offering to refund unused subscriptions of greater than $10. He can keep my subscription money as a thank you for a great mag. I guess I'll just have to cruise the boards and forums to find out what's good and what's not, and not buy anything before it's reviewed by somebody out in cyberland rather than rely on the rubber stamp reviews published by the glossies. So long, Gordon, and thanks for a great magazine!
Old 01-31-2009, 04:59 PM
BruceTharpe
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: hpiguy

I see in the last issue I just received that Gordon is being stiffed on 18,000 in ad revenue.

I'd like to have the names of those advertisers so that I don't spend money with them. I won't support someone who had a part in putting the best R/C mag out of business.
As an advertiser in R/C Report, you should know that BTE paid for all our ads, on time, all the way to the end.

As a modeler and a fan of R/C Report, I too would like to know who stiffed Gordon.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:40 PM
doucette

Wow, I just got my "final" issue, I was oblivious to this thread and this situation until my copy came in the mail today. RC Report was my only subscription, with the exception of MA which I get as a result of my AMA membership. I feel like I have lost a lot of great friends who came into my home once a month to chat about RC. I have to say, I admire Gordon for sticking by his convictions and doing what he thought was right. I truly appreciate all the hard work he and his staff put in to put out such a great project. I wish everyone associated with the magazine the best. What a great run, what a great Magazine, and what a wonderful group of people.

Best regards to all

Tom

p.s. Gordon, If you read this, thanks a bunch. I certainly will not be requesting a refund. You have educated me, enlightened me, and made me laugh out loud. Have a slice of Pizza, I'm gonna go have a beer.

Thanks for all your hard work.

td
Old 02-01-2009, 07:55 AM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Wow..... Logout for a while and get blind sided when my March 09 issue arrived. Geez..... Aside from MA that arrives by default, RCR was the only RC mag I sub'd to. To those who complain about the length and wordiness of the reviews, I often used Dick's reviews to build by, last assembling an RC Guys Cessna 150. Thanks Dick!! I used to sub to MAN but years ago, in the middle of building a Lanier Cap 232, MAN ran their review. It was SO absolutely way off the mark from my experiences (basically "build the fuse, ok, sheet the wing, ok, assemble parts and fly, what a great kit!" ) that I was done with MAN.
Gordon and Mina and the staff, thanks for 2+ decades of a great product!
Old 02-01-2009, 09:06 AM
ec121k

I've got to admit I agree. MAN and their "experts" need help. I will have to look at what's left of the mags to make a decision. MA isn't much to write home about but it comes whether it's wanted or not.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:19 AM
jtrag

I get a 403 forbidden error when I try to access the site.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.