Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Hobby shops near manhattan

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Hobby shops near manhattan

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 02:46 PM
jimmac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby shops near manhattan

Hi
I am going to be visiting NY in April and would like to do something other than be the packhorse for my wife and two daughters while I am there,if any one knows of a decent shop near to Manhattan or one that is within reasonable traveling distance I would appreciate some directions.
Cheers Jim.
www.modelclub.org
Old 01-02-2009, 07:22 AM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hobby shops near manhattan

I think they all closed; even AMC, which was for decades in lower Manhattan, moved to New Jearsey: http://www.ahc1931.com/store/about_us.php

Bruckner Hobbies still has a store in the Bronx, but it's mainly devoted to RC cars. Good luck and let us know if u find anything.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:35 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

However, you CAN get away from shopping for a while by telling your wife that you want to visit the "Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum"

http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/
Old 01-02-2009, 10:46 AM
jimmac

Thanks guy's,
If I find any hobby shops I will post them up on my return, Bruckner's is car orientated but they seem to do quite a lot of plane stuff as well according to their website.
Thanks for the heads up on the Intrepid museum Minn, believe it or not my wife actually showed me the site for the museum before I had even seen it.
I will let you know what I think of it on my return, thanks again and a happy and prosperous new year to every one on the forum.
Jim.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:59 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A few more notes on a visit to NYC:

The #1 thing to do in NY is... EATING! But beware, the prices in many restaurants can break the bank (Not to mention the "Additional Charges" that aren't listed on the menu)

Some of the best places to eat are the street vendors. The food is right there in front of you, so if it looks good, eat it!

Another excellent place to eat is Chinatown - great food, great prices. (Chinatown is in lower Manhattan near the Brooklyn Bridge) Also any non-chain pizza place.

But make SURE you visit either the Carnagie Deli or the Stage Deli - both are just north of Times Square

Just off Times Square is "Sardies" - it's very pricey, but it's a great place to take your wife for a "Nightcap". The bar prices are very reasonable and the "Theatre Atmosphere" is second to none.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:23 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Hello

I am from Brooklyn N.Y. but it has been a loooooong time since I visited. none the less. while in N.Y. find a yellow pages (phone book) look under hobby shops. check out Floyd Bennett field (old naval station) on flatbush avenue in Brooklyn. it is a park now and rc flying club site.

American hobby center (A.H.C.) is on 23rd street in Manhattan if it hasn't moved to new Jersey with Polks hobby shop. The New York phone book will be your best bet.

If your get lucky and hook up with one of the local modelers you should enjoy yourself. As I remember the hobby shops in the Bronx is quite a train ride from Manhattan, but what the heck if you have the time!

Good luck to you ............. Donny

I just found a post on page 8 of this (clubhouse) thread about Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn. Maybe you can email some of the people on there and who knows????
Old 03-10-2009, 02:54 PM
jimmac

Thanks for the info Donny I will look up the yellow pages,I spec'd out the train ride to Bruckner's it will probably be easier to get anything delivered.I like the
idea of contacting local clubs it is alway's nice to see how other guy's run their clubs and see if there are any new ideas to use back home.
Cheers Jim.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:00 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I used to drive the Hudson Parkway between the George Washington Bridge and the Holland Tunnel. The bow of the Intrepid literally hung out over the road and it was the biggest thing I had ever seenuntil one day I found they had tied up the JFK next to the Intrepid. That made the Intrepid look fairly small. But Minn is correctif you can arrange it, visit the Intrepid. Really a fascinating collection of military aircraft. The only better collection I have seen is at Wright Patterson AFB but that is another 500 miles to the west. And you could spend more than one day there. Might even run into an alien from Roswell if you managed to get into the right hangar.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:36 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Been thinking about my home town and wish I was there (after the snow and such melts) there are so many things to see and do in new york it would take a life time to check them all out. your wife might enjoy F.A.O SCHWARTZ TOY STORE near central park millionaires shop there. the park is interesting too. but be careful at night!!

a word of caution, the subway (under ground train system) is a experience that can be quite..... exciting???? All manner of ....ahhhhhhh
well let's say keep your opinion to yourself and speak after thought, there is a lot of people down there and all of them ain't right.

Wish I were going with you, do enjoy my hometown. Hoping your trip is a happy one.

DONNY
Old 03-26-2009, 09:49 PM
victorzamora

What I used to do when I lived out of the country was I'd order stuff to get it delivered to wherever I plan on staying. That's how I got my entire Trainer set-up. You don't get the experience of going to a hobby shop, but you still get the in-US prices.