Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Have you feared for your life at the field?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Have you feared for your life at the field?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 01:22 PM
Blackie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you feared for your life at the field?

Randy, I see "Lawsuit" written all over that one!

The AMA has adopted a new set of guidelines for a club to renew it's charter. These guidelines include a means of expulsion for a member who repeatedly disregards safety.

I suppose the method that club used was effective but, it does raise some safety concerns... If someone did that to me out of malice and refused proper compensation I'd simply stomp all over their aircraft if the proper channels produced nothing
I understood from the story that it was a group decision so no where to point the finger and no proof thus who would the law suit be against? are who's plane do you stomp? I understand that this could be risky as loose lips are always common. As far as reporting to AMA there is still a no proof issue it would have to be video taped or something of the sort in order to prove the person wrong. I really don't think I could bring my self to shoot anyones plane down no matter what the condition is.

Randy
Old 06-05-2002, 10:04 PM
seaducer

Default shooting down planes??

Just how is it you shoot down a plane. Does the shooter have control of the plane in question?? The reason I ask is that I have some exp. with r/c cars, and when 2 radios activate on the same freq. noone is in control. I can just see a 7 pound plane doing 35 MPH right over a freeway, or right back into the flightline. doesnt sound safe to me. It is a better option than not sticking up for yourself, or worse yet trying to get a governing body like AMA to intervene, which leads to more rules and less fun down the road, imho.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:32 PM
Woodpile

Default shooting down planes??

Seems to me that unless someone is in direct, positive control of the aircraft, you are courting an even more dangerous situation than if the moron was still flying by himself... My planes do the damnedest things when I have control, I can't imagine the chaos of a free-flight missile with movable control surfaces and a will of it's own! I'm just learning how to fly and the field I chose is in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by trees and at least 1/2 mile from the nearest road and a full mile from the nearest highway (which is as close to the middle of nowhere as you can find in Jersey! ) for obvious safety reasons.

Please rethink this method of shooting down a plane and find something safer, which seems to me to be the real reason for this thread. Do a tap dance on the plane, or physically block this blockhead's path if you have to and he's that big an offender, but don't make a bad situation worse...

Just my 2 sense ( pun intended)

Ed
Old 06-06-2002, 01:21 AM
Jazzy

Default Have you feared for your life at the field?

Sorry, I didn't elaborate very well. In order for a club to renew it's charter it must have a set of guidelines that meets or exceeds the AMA's expectations. Within these guidelines is an area for member removal. (Oops!). All within the club. No AMA intervention needed. That is the main reason for the new rules/guidelines stipulation.

I have to admit there are a few situations where shooting someone down is warranted provided the risks are minimal.
For instance: A high speed, low level, inverted pass. A flat spin close to the trees. Anything close to the ground or things such as trees.
Think about though, if you lose control of your airplane while doing wild stunts where does your plane end up? Potato diggin'!
Worm huntin'! Usually pushin' up daisies. Heck, I've made a few good lawn darts so far! You know: tail-feather tombstones.

(Member removal!... Oh man! )
Old 12-09-2006, 12:47 AM
Chuck Auger

Default RE: CLOSE Callllll !!

ORIGINAL: flytaildragger

I was flying my Triplane when the flight line cleared and voices started hollering at me. I thought it was appreciation for some scale looking WWI maneuvers. As the flight proceeded into the traffic pattern, I looked at the approach to notice a full size Cherokee attempting to land at our field mistaking it for the adjacent airport 2 miles away. I'll be damned I am to lose my plane on an idiot. I dropped to the ground, layed flat on my back, and hoped the idiot would power up before he realized his mistake. The wing passed over where my head was, I heard the engine rev, and he barely cleared the posts at the other end of the runway.

My close call and I didn't crash my tripe either.

That's gotta be the best one ever. Sheesh.

And congrats for savin' your plane.

We have an airport near OUR field and the thought had crossed my mind - what if...
Old 12-09-2006, 01:35 AM
limey kenny

Default RE: Have you feared for your life at the field?

tell me where your field is and ill do very low pass with a 737.[>:]