Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

short kits

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:44 PM
oneolfuzzy
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default short kits

I'm a newbie to the hobby and am puzzled by the term "short kit". I've seen serveral of these for sale but have no idea what they are. Can someone please help me out here?
Old 01-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: short kits

Essentially just the wood needed to build a kit. No accessory parts like cowls, fairings, or landing gear, or plans. You have to do all the wood cutting yourself.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:05 PM
oneolfuzzy

Thanks for the info, one more bit of information filed away.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Dsegal

I disagree with your definition of a short kit. Although they vary widely, the essential characteristic of the kits marketed today is that you do get the cutout parts and usually the plan. I have never seen, in the past dozen years, someone trying to sell a short kit without giving you the cut parts- that is the essence of the short kit. If you have to buy the wood, lay out the parts and cut them yourself that is scratch-building, not short kit building. And I have purchased a short kit that included formed landing gear and decals.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:55 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no "set definition of a short kit. Covered pretty thoroughly in this thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_83...tm.htm#8310824
Old 01-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Nathan_L

Most short kits I've seen include any wood that has to be cut/sized such as wing ribs, fuselage formers etc...it normally does not include stock stick sizes such as 1/4x1/4 balsa nor does it include sheeting material.....eveyrone has their own definition tho and it's best to be clear up front.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Muroc1

I usually get the full kits and then wind up replacing most of the hardware. Then I wonder why I bothered. Short kits are good for folks who like to change things up a little, or for folks that have a bunch of hardware and such sitting around.

Frank
Old 01-11-2009, 06:03 PM
oneolfuzzy

Thanks guys. Sounds like there's a lot of help and knowledge out there if I need it. I shouldn't say if though, I should say when>
Old 01-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The popular definition of a short kit is a set of plans, all the normally laser or die crunched parts, and that's about it. You get to buy your own sticks and sheet. You also get to buy your own wire for the gear, and all the Glass parts and hardware. It's really a pretty good way to go, since most of the kits used terrible hardware in the first place (notable exception are the Bruce Tharpe kits...he uses first grade hardware). You can select your own sheeting and if you take a good digital postal scale to the shop with you, you can match your sheeting and sticks.

Bill, AMA 4720
Waco Brother #1
Old 01-14-2009, 07:18 AM
AlphaWhisky

And one major spinoff that none of you guys above have mentioned is the reduced freight costs that would apply to enthusiasts who are located outside USA.

Freight charges on full kits to this part of the world generally seem to match the purchase price of the kit, attract horrendous taxes, and kill the deal for all but the keenest overseas buyer.

I`m sure that if the kit producers took the time to do some homework on the subject and offer short kits as a regular option their sales turnover would increase dramatically - and everyone is a winner.....

Alan W
Old 01-14-2009, 03:40 PM
skyraider71

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen short kits advertized that included the cowls and canopies.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: skyraider71

I've seen short kits advertized that included the cowls and canopies.
I'm sure that you have. I have seen a Bear ride a motorcycle too, but that does not mean that all of them do.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 01-16-2009, 06:58 PM
skyraider71

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wing mfg makes the ones I'm thinking about. I like the Zero. I realize that all short kits
are not the same. When I hear the term "short kit", Wings' kits are the first that come to my
mind.[sm=shades_smile.gif]