Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Help with Identifying a Plane

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Help with Identifying a Plane

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 04:49 PM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Identifying a Plane

Can anyone identify the man, the venue, the date, or the kit in the photo on the late William Robison's [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=625183]posting[/link]? I'm trying to determine if I just purchased the plane in question.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:12 PM
RickVB

Default RE: Help with Identifying a Plane

Here's a photo of the plane I bought... The worse for wear, apparently. Think it's the same one?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32618.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1110827  
Old 01-15-2009, 02:20 PM
jimmac

Hi Rick,
So sorry to hear about Williams passing,his replies to posts were informative,educational and humorous a loss for us all.
Jim.
Ps Nice tigercat good to see it in a different colour than navy blue.

Btw The planes look exactly the same.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:18 AM
RickVB

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know Mr. Robison, but I read many of his postings here and learned a great deal from them. Because of a SNAFU with this purchase (which will eventually be the subject of another thread), I went looking for any info I could find on Tigercats of this size, and just by luck came across Bill's posting. It could be a different plane; there were very few paint variations of the F7F-1, F7F-2 and early F7F-3 aircraft to put them in. It could be there's only one photograph of one in yellow like this, which happens to be 435, and thus the duplication. But I find the manner of reproducting the panel lines with striping tape (which appears identical) unusual. On the other hand, if Bill's photo was taken more than a year or so ago, then it wouldn't jive with the history I was given of the plane I bought. Thus, my questions in this thread. Any help out there?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:11 PM
RickVB

FYI, Mike over at the LaPierre Airplane Factory (sign in photo) tells me that it was not his plane, and that to his recollection the picture is from a Rally of the Giants about 8 yrs ago in Ohio. This would seem to contradict what my seller told me about it's history... Any further info? Anybody remember which RotGs were held in Ohio, in which years?
Old 01-19-2009, 12:21 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they dont seem to be the same, one has gear doors, the other doesnt appear to
Old 01-19-2009, 01:02 AM
RickVB

Metallica, if they are the same plane, it's likely the two pictures are separated by several years (and at least one significant mishap). The nose door that is in my picture was gone before I got the plane (it was taken by the guy who sold it to me), and there are several (repaired) cracks in the fusilage and wing damage. It appears that the gear doors were once there, and got ripped off (there are servos not hooked up to anything inside the nacelles!). This is why I said "The worse for wear" before.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:32 PM
RickVB

No one can give me some help on this one, then?
Old 01-24-2009, 01:19 AM
MetallicaJunkie

could you provide more photos for others, maybe someone will remember
Old 01-24-2009, 01:55 AM
RickVB

I could take photos of the plane as it is now, but I don't think that would help answer my questions, which are really about the original photo. As I said, Mr. Robison is gone, and there doesn't seem to be any other information on RCU that he left behind about it other than the posting (which has nothing). I had been following up with Mike LaPierre of Connecticut (from the sign in the photo), who had vague memories about the model, but after an initial email reply he's fallen off the earth (email addresses deactivated, phone disconnected). Anyone know him, or what happened to him?
Old 01-25-2009, 02:17 PM
darryl123
My Feedback: (8)

[email protected]
email john at this address he knows how to get ahold of mike. he has a few nice planes hanging in hog heaven. he should be able to get you in contact with him.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:42 AM
RickVB

Well, new info. Got ahold of Mike, who told me that the original photo was taken at the Hebron, OH Rally of Giants. Lo and behold, at the IMAA website we find that the photo was indeed taken there, because it's also on that website: [link=http://www.fly-imaa.org/imaa/ralley/rally00/rally.html]IMAA 2000 Rally[/link]. Check out the photo in the second row of Red Scholefield's photos. Can anyone out there who attended the 2000 RoG identify this gentleman?
Old 01-28-2009, 11:30 PM
RickVB

OK, last try. Red says he doesn't remember who the man is, and that would be the critical piece of information. Anyone else out there from Ohio remember who this guy is? (See first posting)
Old 02-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Kimhoff
My Feedback: (22)

If you read post #13 in BR's post Countrybou tells the guys name is Bob Campbell.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Kimhoff
My Feedback: (22)

-
Old 02-02-2009, 01:30 AM
RickVB

Well, duh. [sm=red_smile.gif] I somehow missed that posting when I read the thread before. Thanks for pointing that out, Kimhoff!
Old 02-02-2009, 06:52 AM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick,

I'm wanting to say that the guy Bob Campbell sold it to was Manley Williams. That Tigercat in the picture with Bob if I remember correctly had a unique set of retracts in that they were electric instead of air. If it is the same Tigercat, I have it on video around here somewhere.

Ronnie
Old 02-02-2009, 11:01 AM
RickVB

Ronnie, that's a check on the gear. Mine has a set of what I was told are Likes Line electrics. Hard to tell for sure from the picture, but I don't see anything that looks different from mine.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RickVB

Ronnie, that's a check on the gear. Mine has a set of what I was told are Likes Line electrics. Hard to tell for sure from the picture, but I don't see anything that looks different from mine.
Don't think they were Likes gear...at least at the time. They could have been changed out over the years, but the gear I remember used bevel gears. There was another company which the name slips me, that made the retracts. A fellow by the name of Ed Cochran "sp" up in the Indiana area took over.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:46 AM
RickVB

Like I said, I was told they were Likes Line. The guy also told me the plane was from a 3W kit (clearly not), so his info on this plane is obviously suspect. I'll post pictures tonight.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Grampaw

Used to be a full size Yellow Tigercat flying out in the Western areas a while back as a Fire Bomber. Could be that's where the color scheme for this one came from. Sure sets it apart from the Blue Navy and Marine Cats we are so used to seeing. I've never seen a model nor a full size Cat in flight...maybe one day.

My former Boss, an old Jarhead like me, flew Corsairs at night in the Pacific and later after WWII flew Tigers until his hitch was up. I picked his brains from time to time about his time with the Tigercat and he said it was the best Military aircraft he ever flew. Some guys get all the luck. Fair winds all, Grampaw