Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

RC Report Online!! For Real!!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RC Report Online!! For Real!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 09:33 AM
BillyGoat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Report Online!! For Real!!

Tony, IMHO with the net today reviews are a dime a dozen. It's just too easy to log on and get an abundance of information anything related to R/C, including opinions from everybody with a keyboard.

R/C Report had a personality that made you feel the columnist were your buds at the flying field. It was intersting to hear what models Dick (either one) was building or contemplating building. Tony Stillman was always there to give you the straight scoop on radio technology and how to maintain your gear. Brian answered the engine questions you never even thought to ask, in his own quirky way. I could keep going but you get the idea. It's the personality I hope to see transfer over to the online version.

Also gotta keep the Here's How.

Good luck, can't wait to see what evloves.

Edit: And it wouldn't be R/C Report without Gordon inserting a "Note from the editor" and an occasional joke following an article.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:40 AM
hpiguy

ORIGINAL: Kmot

RCR is just fine the way it is. Put it online and it will fly. Just keep a good mix of everything as it has been and most of us should be happy.
Exactly, just transfer the current magazine format over into the internet world and you'll be set.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:48 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Me thinks there is a whole lot of work in putting together a monthly mag than you realize....but time will tell.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:48 AM
senrak

Sorry to hear of the demize of the monthly paper version, but a newsletter or online mag based on RC Report would be great. The colunms are always readable, the articles very informative, and the GIRLS, well lets just say they are welcome too.

I would add in my comments.

Fewer ARF's, they don't need much of a review. Any dummy can get those together.
Electrics. I'll go electric when they pull the last internal combustion engine from my hand. Hell, the smell of burning castor oil is what got me into this hobby.
Giant Scale, to expensive for my pocketbox and the majority of would be RCers.
Coverage of major events is important. I can't go to many.
How to's and What if's are always welcome. What other people are doing in the hobby is always of interest to me.

Good luck!
Old 01-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Mark in Michigan

I hope this works out for everyone's sake, but I'm not sure if it is for me personally. I don't spend a lot of time online and really don't want to, I'd rather be out in the garage working on something, fishing or actually flying, but you never know. Plus, I am on dial-up and won't be spending more for high-speed access, so downloading a huge PDF isn't something I would look forward to doing.

Although it goes against industry trends, I would like to see less emphasis on ARF's and electric and more on kits, how-to articles/columns (vs. "here's how" shorties) and building from plans. I am more into scale R/C and larger (more than 80" ws) planes. Don't really care too much for event coverage either, except for Dick's articles on Toledo. Maybe a column devoted to using all sizes of gasoline engines/reviews (not necessarily aerobatic-type airplanes, scale & warbirds also)? Maybe a real build-along column, with details and pictures, that lasts a year or so?

I would have no problem paying the same price as the magazine if it works out.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:18 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to be involved in a long running build along Scale forum, then by all means join us in the Vintage and Antique forum here on RC Universe. The thread is called Waco YMF, and it's been going on for about 3 years now. Over 300 pages of details, building, covering, and flying.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brother #1
Old 01-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Nathan_L

It won't be the same. It wouldn't be the same even if they printed out RC Report like they always have and scanned it for publishing on the internet. Just not the same.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, but it is better than nothing!
Old 01-17-2009, 09:51 PM
sparky925
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Nathan_L

It won't be the same. It wouldn't be the same even if they printed out RC Report like they always have and scanned it for publishing on the internet. Just not the same.
Not the same????
if we were to print the magazine and mailed it out....How is it not the same?

Just curouis

t
Old 01-17-2009, 10:19 PM
Nathan_L

ORIGINAL: sparky925

ORIGINAL: Nathan_L

Not the same????
if we were to print the magazine and mailed it out....How is it not the same?

Just curouis

t
Stating that it will not be the same on the internet. If it's actually published and mailed it may be. But stating they could even take the same magazine and put it on the internet it would not be the same. An experience is more than the content.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:42 PM
sparky925
My Feedback: (1)

OK i understand what you mean/....it is not EXACTLY the same, but i am trying to do all i can...
there are so many readers that are nearly begging for something to be done....

I hate to hear folks beg......so i am tring to help as much as possible.....

Now for the record i havent completely ruled out mailing....but i am only committing to getting the online going...and then move forward from there!1

Tony
Old 01-18-2009, 10:42 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

OK Tony, here's a thought....

First, I'd like to second the notion that someone has already made, of making all the Reviews available - or at least to keep the annual list going. It would be very helpful if that list could be sorteded by month and year instead of issue and volume.

Also, will you have access to any back issues? I was about to contact RCR about placing an order for some back issues when the website went down. Now I don't have any contact info, and there probably isn't anyone there to answer the phone anyway. I'd like to be able to buy my back issues to fill out my 'stash'. Is that going to be a possibility?

Also, do you have any information about what Gordon, Heather, and Mina are going to be up to now that mailout magazine is gone? Will Gordon be helping with the new online magazine, or is he stepping aside completely?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 01-18-2009, 11:00 AM
hpiguy

ORIGINAL: sparky925

OK i understand what you mean/....it is not EXACTLY the same, but i am trying to do all i can...
there are so many readers that are nearly begging for something to be done....

I hate to hear folks beg......so i am tring to help as much as possible.....

Now for the record i havent completely ruled out mailing....but i am only committing to getting the online going...and then move forward from there!1

Tony
You are doing what you can and that's all anyone can ask of you. Let the Debbie Downers roll off your back. You will never be able to make some people happy, even if you had Gordon sit on their lap and read them each issue.

Anyway we can save RCR the better. Even if it's online only. Like Kmot said, it's better than nothing at all. RCM is gone, RCR is going and you are trying to save it. Kudos to that effort.

If you try to please everyone with little requests, you will go insane. We all can't have our tiny niche covered each month. We all can't have every issue the exact way we want it. RCR gave a great balance and most of us loved it.

I think the general concensus on here is to keep the content much the same as we'll all be happy. For those that aren't happy, well, did they support RCR to begin with or are they just coming in here to poop on every attempt to save the magazine we all love with their negative attitude? I think they are just trying to toss a wet blanket on the whole thing. Oh well, letr themdrift away. They won't support the effort once it's up anyway. They'll come in here, demand things, make crtitiques and then never contribute with a subscription or pictures and letters to the editors or article ideas, etc..

I appreciate what you are trying to do, I really do. Thank you.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:53 PM
MILDBILL-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

HPIGUY has it right. Gordon & his office staff know how much negitivity there was out there towards his mag. We here on the web didnt see any of that. Now here on this site we are getting a first hand glimps of how difficult it is to try to saticfy the mass's, with just the thought of keeping it alive. It is a testiment to the mag. that this is being done. I dont remember much tryed when RCmodeler went down. Change is one thing everything must go through, & this just might be the next step of RCR. Keeping it just as it was would be great, but it will be living in this new home ( the web) & to try to take advantage of all that this has to offer would be fantastic. I appaude all you who are doing what you can to acheive this. If I had any skills myself, I'd be there with you all. Maybe doing a construction artical or something along those lines would be all I could do. Bill Phillips
Old 01-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Nathan_L

I was a longtime subscriber to RC Report. I think people underestimate how many people liked the "magazine" not just for the articles and information but it's format as well. There are tons of modelers and flyers who rarely if ever sit down and browse the internet.

More power to you tho.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Harlan
My Feedback: (107)

I was a subscriber to RC Report for only one year, but I read this magazine almost cover-to-cover. Thanks for trying to keep it alive. Please try to keep as much of it intact as you possibly can. I will support it with cash if necessary.

Harlan
Old 01-18-2009, 09:46 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

I was /am a long time subscriber to RCR and really liked it. Easily my favorite magazine. Please keep as much intact as possible. I really liked the multiple scale columns - at one time I think it had more scale information than any other magazine. Any chance you can get "guest" scale columnists to do occasional articles - Dave Platt, Mick Reeves, Roy Vaillaincourt, and RCU contributors such as Leo Spychalla, Jeff Foley, etc? Glad to hear that Tony is willing to do the Radio Ramblings column onlne, and I'm glad you're continuing and have picked up the ball Tony. Maybe an online version where people contribute tips, maybe interactive, although I have to say that this is what these forums on the interenet do so well.
Thanks
Sam
Old 01-18-2009, 09:50 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Do you think these writers will be paid for their contributions?
Old 01-19-2009, 12:14 AM
bofrcr

very good! glad to hear it! how about keeping it a "builder's" site? you know,, those of us that actually cut out the pieces,, and glue them together ourselves?? (ok,,ok,, traditional kit's too) NO READY MADE!!
Old 01-19-2009, 04:56 AM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

I disagree, keep the same format. The RC Airplane community is large, if you make it a "builders site only" it will be done before it's even started.
New RCer's start with arfs, then later get into building. It needs to be a "BIG TENT" for all RC Airplane lovers!!

Chris923
Old 01-19-2009, 05:15 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: tailskid

I can't speak for anyone else, but what columnist would spend his time writing a column, complete with deadlines for nothing? If you have never done a column, you cannot believe the research, note reading and just keyboard time involved.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brother #1
Old 01-19-2009, 08:47 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

I can't speak for anyone else, but what columnist would spend his time writing a column, complete with deadlines for nothing? If you have never done a column, you cannot believe the research, note reading and just keyboard time involved.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brother #1
Maybe the kind that does a monthly club newsletter for 10 years. One that has some unique expertise to share with his fellow modelers, one that serves gratis as a forum monitor, one that maintains a modeling information web site. One who gets a great deal of satisfaction in helping fellow modelers.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brother #1
Maybe the kind that does a monthly club newsletter for 10 years. One that has some unique expertise to share with his fellow modelers, one that serves gratis as a forum monitor, one that maintains a modeling information web site. One who gets a great deal of satisfaction in helping fellow modelers.
Red,

How many times do I have to tell you not to respond to my posts before I have to show you that I'm serious? I'm sure that you write your drivel in MA for free as well.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 01-19-2009, 09:49 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I'm sure that you write your drivel in MA for free as well.
You're not helping your respect factor with posts like that
Old 01-19-2009, 10:05 AM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, just to set the record straight, Tailskid HAS WRITTEN articles for RC Report
before, and did a good job of it at that !
Just my .02 worth.

Tony, add me to the online list please Sir.
Many thanks,
John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.