Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sepulveda Basin

Old 07-29-2008, 07:40 AM
rare_bear
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sepulveda Basin

ORIGINAL: jimweda
I can't change anything that goes on at that field, so I just make my own little world and I've found that its been less stressful, just the way I like it. I don't bother anyone, and no one bothers me.
ahhhhhh... and then there's the internet.

...and i think mr.scale dail was joking about "the electric guys being the most polite people".... or was he?
after all, one of them brings donuts on weekends and might letcha have one if ya ask nicely
Old 07-29-2008, 08:15 AM
jimweda

Personally, I think he was, but which ever the case, you gotta have some part of the electrics if you know about donut man. hehe, I haven't seen him in a while, then again, I don't go out there as early as I used to.

Jim
Old 07-29-2008, 09:37 AM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: jimweda

I find it funny how you say that electric flyers have not learned this when I see all to often, nitro/gas guys out there by themselves also. I agree with having a spotter. Personally I wish it were required to have a spotter for all flying, but its not going to happen and I see this on the the main flight line as well as the electric area. Being a spotter is "considered" boring and a lot of people don't want to do it. If more would take advantage of it I'd always have one and be one. I will say this though, its easier to tell someone to stand back on a pilot pad at the main field than the electric field. I won't say they are any more respectful of the airspace though, its the same at either part of the field from what I've seen and experienced.

Jim

ORIGINAL: submikester

Another thing to mention about flying from the flight line is that it is important to also pay attention to the current pattern (left or right) and fly with a spotter so that you can concentrate on your airplane and the spotter can keep you informed on your surroundings. This is a practice that quite a few electric fliers have not learned - it isn't a criticism but how exactly does one educate these folks in a positive way BEFORE they accidentally cause a problem with other aircraft.
I did not mean to imply that the Nitro/Gas crowd was immune from flying without a spotter. In fact - I'll admit to doing it myself on occasion - if there is nobody else out there flying I will go out by myself. Also, I believe it is in the AMA regulations as well but I'd have to check to be sure.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:42 AM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

Jim, you really should consider coming to a club meeting. Getting to know a group of guys to fly with regularly really helps. I know when we started seeing the thefts (UNBELIEVABLE!!) my group of guys I normally fly with (and truly don't like to fly without) had one guy stay back with the stuff while the others flew and such.

It helps to not be alone out there plus RC isn't just about the flying - at least I don't think it is - it's also about the friendships you build through a common endeavor.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:14 AM
bass0matic

I always set up near someone I know, I also watch other people equipment when they are flying. the best advice (from a person who has had their tools stolen) "if you don't need it leave it at home or in the car".

one other thing I do is when a someone I know is going out to fly, go out with them and be a spotter. "there's a plane right above you", "the runway's clear"
Old 07-29-2008, 12:48 PM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

Well, to be constructive, moving the electric area a little further north with our own pit area, may help conflicts with the nitro guys.
But there still needs to be a grass area to land on away from the nitro fliers.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:33 PM
limey kenny

O K Im going to put in my 2 cents. Im tired of all the self serving *****ing
from all the types of A/C fliers. The field would not still be there without the
V/F club.It will not change till the club get some authority over control of the field.
So lets all get behind the club and help.One way would be A M A sanction.
Tere are a lot people that want to use the land and if we dont stop *****ing at
each other you may have tolearn to play Golf.Also the wildlife people want us
out and they already have some authority in the park.
Lets get sensible and stop this me me me stuff .
Old 07-29-2008, 02:09 PM
jimweda

Hey Submikester,
I understand but I just wanted to point out that having spotters doesn't happen enough on both sides, but will admit, spotters are more often seen on the flightline which I find respectable to say the least since it is one of the best ways to avoid accidents. I'll spot anyone who asks but won't push myself on anyone.

My comment about working and staying around my truck didn't mean I don't know a lot of the guys out there. On the contrary, I now probably 80% of the guys there, I just meant to say that if things get crazy out there, I do have my own sanctuary to go to. I have many times watched over the tables, especially when the "Homeless Hoverers" used to frequent the place and things really started disappearing. I do know quite a few VF members, but as far as meetings go, my work usually doesn't allow me to go to most of them because I have some really strange and long hours working in the entertainment industry. I have friends in the electric, nitro/gas and heli areas so I didn't mean to have anyone think I'm a hermit, but we continue to get new blood all the time and although not all, some just don't want people to help or tell them what to do. These are the ones I avoid.

Jim
Old 07-29-2008, 02:39 PM
jimweda

I have nothing but respect guys who care enough about their fellow flyers to play spotter or watch over the bench while everyone else is flying. That became more important over on the electric side when things started disappearing, and although it really blows when people steal from others, it kind of brought that area a little closer to each other. That seems to have slowed down a bit and hopefully its because the theives have become intimidated by the closeness of the flyers out there.

Something that might be good is to maybe post something letting people know how to spot properly. I've had times where I could hear someone acting as a spotter and was confusing the pilot more than helping him. Maybe next to the rules or designated flying areas would be helpful.

Jim
Old 07-29-2008, 02:39 PM
rare_bear

ORIGINAL: limey kenny

from all the types of A/C fliers. The field would not still be there without the
V/F club.It will not change till the club get some authority over control of the field.

correct me if wrong...
i thought that the u.s. army corp. of engineers had authority over the land and its use.... since it is the designated authority figure over the LA sepulveda basin flood district.
was it not designated long ago by the u.s.a.c.e. that it shall be used as a model airplane park?
Old 07-29-2008, 03:02 PM
jimweda

Hey Scale Dail,
Its not so much that they are moving the electric area further north, they are just adding more stations, not removing the older ones. So, the field area is still the same which is great since mainly during the weekends there is no place to put your stuff. With all the planes I bring, typically 4 to 10 planes at a time, plus my equipment, I'd take 2 or 3 tables to hold everything, so its actually helping others with table space by me working out of my truck. The Apollo field as a whole is sort of a triangle with the narrowest point on the north side of the field where the two sections meet so when flying that boundary of the electric side brings you close to those going north to south on the flight line. In general the majority seem to be aware of this and try to avoid it, but you also have those who either don't realize how far out they are, inexperienced or don't care. There are many occassions where people will go way out of the boundaries and most of the regulars do ask them not to fly that way. Some listen and also apologize for not knowing, but then you get guys who just don't care. What can you do, not much really.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:13 PM
jimweda

I've heard by a VF rep that they are trying to turn this field into an AMA sanctioned field which would be great. I wish they would bring back the safety officers, but, without the authority to "Law down the law", some people just refuse to listen because they feel they can do what they want since its a public park. Recently there was a guy who always flew right in the middle of the field while others flew. I've never seen him and asked if he would fly on the carpet pilot pads like everyone else for safety reasons. His comment was, "I like flying circles around me". Each time he would go fly, he'd end up out in the middle again and his next comment was, I'm kind of learning to fly this plane and don't want to hit anyone". Eventually, as more flyers kept asking him to fly on the pads, he started doing so and now people respect him more as a fellow flyer. I'd hate to see this field closed down to RC due to someone getting injured because of neglegence.

Jim

Old 07-29-2008, 03:23 PM
jimweda

I don't know anything about that rare bear, but remember politics and money have influence over everything that goes on in our county. Personally, I think the powers that be are anxiously waiting for a reason to shut it down. I would think the biggest offense they are looking at is flying over the 400' ceiling which is pretty common because we're so close to the airport. Its just an opinion without any solid facts, but I hear that statement alot on the field.

Jim

correct me if wrong...
i thought that the u.s. army corp. of engineers had authority over the land and its use.... since it is the designated authority figure over the LA sepulveda basin flood district.
was it not designated long ago by the u.s.a.c.e. that it shall be used as a model airplane park?
Old 07-29-2008, 03:38 PM
jimweda

Here's something I'd also like to address that's happened a number of times in the past. Names being left out, there is a guy who is sponsered by a certain RC company who would often take off from the north side of the flightline and fly both electric and nitro/gas field at the same time but I've never seen anyone ask him not to do that. That same day he also flew a very big electric 3D plane, was doing the same thing and ended up crashing in the electric field almost hitting another flyer who was on the field getting his landed plane. I had a warbird crash about 10'-15' feet from me while I was standing on the carpet pilots pad and never heard anyone yell out a warning that the plane was out of control and above my head before it hit the ground. Two experienced pilots who should have at the very least yelled out a warning. There are witnesses to these events so I'm not just complaining to start any arguments. A serious injury from things like that would be enough for the city to think about shutting the field down.

Jim
Old 07-29-2008, 05:46 PM
jet time
My Feedback: (75)

Any pictures of the jet event this weekend?
Old 07-29-2008, 06:16 PM
bass0matic

Jesus Jim, speaking of clogging up the air. where do you find the time. this is supposed to be a forum, not a book. I thought you had a busy job, where do you find the time to write these books.

if you want to complain. how about the time I was flying nitro and some electric crashed right at my feet.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:47 PM
k3d

Old 07-29-2008, 09:22 PM
rare_bear

i was going to suggest that since jim is complainig so much, that he offer up some of his time to police the field for rule violations - instead of making the suggestion that some valley flyer member(s) police the field and confront rulebreakers like me.

nice pictures k3d. did that boeing 757 fly?
Old 07-29-2008, 09:25 PM
MikeRuth

In response to K3d pictures, AWSOME dude!,

Who would have guessed that the most expensive planes in our sport would have the largest turn out for an event? or so it appears

Just awsome,

MIke R
Old 07-29-2008, 09:38 PM
limey kenny

Im not sure about this ,but I was told back in the 60 s,
that the C O E.was allowing ,L A whoever,to deside use.
within certain restrictions.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:45 PM
limey kenny

P.S. I want to fly my jet powered engine test stand on
saturday.It will need to fly over the E .flight and helicoptor
areas.Its hard to make sharp turns.[>:]
Old 07-30-2008, 12:43 AM
jet time

K3d,
Thanks for the great pics! I didn't have time to get a one! You did my 757 justice! It looks great in the photo....but who has the box on the stealth??!!
Great job again and thanks. Do you know who will have the video?

Lowell Wexler
"RC Jets Direct"
Skymaster, Yellow and Jetcat Dealer
Old 07-30-2008, 12:46 AM
jet time

Rare Bear,
We didn't fly the 757 because we had someone interested in buying it and didn't know what power he wanted. We have an offer on it and it will have 2 P-70's. We hope to have it flying in 60day's at the basin. I'll post it when we are ready to go. Thanks for the interest.
Lowell
Old 07-30-2008, 12:53 AM
k3d

P.S. I want to fly my jet powered engine test stand on
saturday.It will need to fly over the E .flight and helicoptor
areas.Its hard to make sharp turns.[>:]
^Hahhhhhahaaaaa LOL!!!! Can't wait to see that!
Old 07-30-2008, 12:59 AM
k3d

ORIGINAL: jet time

K3d,
Thanks for the great pics! I didn't have time to get a one! You did my 757 justice! It looks great in the photo....but who has the box on the stealth??!!
Great job again and thanks. Do you know who will have the video?

Lowell Wexler
"RC Jets Direct"
Skymaster, Yellow and Jetcat Dealer

I'm not really sure who has the video. Your 757 is one of my favorites. I would really like to have a F-117. I've been searching for the discontinued Walkera F-117 EDF but no luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.