Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sepulveda Basin

Old 05-26-2009, 07:23 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sepulveda Basin

ORIGINAL: solo 1963

[] Is the basin going to closed on 5/27 due to VIP travel in the area?

Alan in Fresno

According to FAAregulations, there is to be no flying of model airplanes within a TFR. Now, the basin being closed is a different story. Last time they decided to close the basin during the last of 4 TFRs, so who knows what will happen. Your safest bet is to plan on not flying from Wednesday at about 1pm thru Thursday at about 8am.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Phat Reliant

Fantastic !

Out of curiosity, is hard to do?

I have played around with image stiching, panos etc, but this seems to be a little more..

Old 06-26-2009, 12:57 AM
Billy
My Feedback: (15)

Anybody know who this douche bag is????? Beware of his flying. He made a friend of mines plane crash today. Several people said that he was flying in the faces of pilots on the flight line( he was over in the electric area) He almost hit the guy who's plane you see (twice). These kind of people need to be dealt with. [:@]

Billy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21517.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	1224887  
Old 06-26-2009, 05:12 AM
gregg f
My Feedback: (20)

That guy has been warned multiple times about flying over our heads in the pilot stations.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:31 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Who is he? And whose F-100?
Old 06-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Rojeck
My Feedback: (22)

Did this guy cause the crash? The only F-100s I've seen lately belong to either David Searles or Joe Castelao.

Sung
Old 06-26-2009, 11:11 AM
outssider
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was there at the time of the crash but unfortunately did not see exactly what happened. The jet belongs to a big black guy that set up at the extreme north end of the field (don't know his name). there had been quite a bit of electric flying in the infield and over the flight line earlier in the day but did not notice if that was the case at the time of this crash. The pilot of the jet was standing in the number one or two station with a spotter. When the crash occurred he immediately walked over to the electric area and started yelling at the pilot of the electric plane.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:51 PM
Billy
My Feedback: (15)

The jet was Big Dave's.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:01 PM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

That is tragic! That f-100 was a rare scale bird that does not need to be lost due to some electric foamy bozo!
Old 06-26-2009, 10:59 PM
Billville

Hey, guys, this is what I heard today while at the Basin.

Someone told me that Apollo field is about to be closed permanently and be replaced with a municipal tennis facility due to high flying violations.

Somebody please tell me what they know about this.

Today a guy was flying a pattern plane WAY WAY too high. After he came in, I was waiting to see how this was dealt with. Nobody said anything . . .

. . . and then I realized it was going to have to be me.

It’s not my nature to confront people, especially someone who flys better than I do.

So I asked a couple of guys to back me up and they said ok and followed me over and I told him he’s got to knock it off.

He started rationalizing to me about how he needs to fly high to practice his IMAC and it’s impossible to fly under 400 and do his routine.
I said I don’t care what the reason is, that there are people ACTIVELY trying to shut us down and not to do it anymore.
Just then someone walked up and said that there were two citations issued recently for flying high and one more and the gate gets locked and the field is closed forever.
He said three citations and it’s over.

What’s going on?

Bill Kling
Old 06-26-2009, 11:34 PM
Silent-AV8R

Would someone from the Basin in one of the clubs please contact me??

Bill Malvey
AMA District X AVP
Old 06-27-2009, 12:37 AM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

Bill Malvey
AMA District X AVP

That's ominous....

You need to contact Jason Pakfar - he is the current Valley Flyers president.

www.valleyflyers.com
Old 06-27-2009, 01:01 AM
JasonP
My Feedback: (1)

Bill Malvey
AMA District X AVP
Hi Bill
I did not find your contact info on the District X website, however you have a PM from me.

Jason Pakfar
Old 06-27-2009, 10:25 AM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

I guess we'll all be flying heli's on Japanese TV!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htVoREC7uMY

Joe
Old 06-27-2009, 01:33 PM
rare_bear

man, that was an awesome looking f100 - all the detail in weathering.
( i looked at the parent thread - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88..._2/key_/tm.htm )

my question is:
how did the jet pilot actually lose control of the jet?
if he was not hit by the electric plane, did he have to duck to avoid being hit and hence, mess up his sticks and/or lose sight of his plane?
whatever the case, that suks bigtime.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Silent-AV8R

This is not the first time that pilots standing in the correct pilot stations have been distracted t the point of losing control of their plane. The other incident involved a serious injury. This is clearly something that need to be addressed at this field.

Unfortunately the way the City of LA has allowed the rules to go makes it nearly impossible to actually enforce them since no single group has the ability to really do anything.

I think that everyone needs to recognize that the field is on thin ice as it were since many within the City would like to use the land for something else. So it is critical that we as modelers do not give them any reasons to throw us out.

Bill Malvey
AMA Associate Vice President, District X
Old 06-27-2009, 06:00 PM
rare_bear

I think that everyone needs to recognize that the field is on thin ice as it were since many within the City would like to use the land for something else. So it is critical that we as modelers do not give them any reasons to throw us out.
unfortunately, the people on this forum and the members of the valley flyers already know this, and that's probably what, about 20% of the people who use the flying field?

i think the 400 foot sign has helped alot, but it doesn't stop it completely.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:32 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

I don't think the field will be closed and I don't think jerks like that guy are going away. The first thing that will happen is Jets will be banned because from an outsiders point of view that is the problem. Just look at the picture, a big fast jet crashed, that's all people will see and not wonder about the details like a guy flying a small electric toy plane. Next will be giant scale because anything big is easier to fly above 400 feet. Once you get rid of the big fast planes all you will have left are the electrics. I am surprised it hasn't happened already.

As far as the jerk in the picture goes...... If he really is intentionally flying to distract pilots with expensive planes than he is just a reincarnation of Lee and should be delt with. Now calling the authorities never seems to help and if anything just draws attention to the field. I wonder what would happen if someone just stomped his plane and transmitter ala Crazy Eric? Heck, even if he calls the police they never show up for a long time. Now I am not suggesting or condoning such behavior but I could understand if it happened out of frustration.

And Bill.... do you really have to post in a forum to get in touch with the Valley Flyers? Is stirring things up the best thing for an AP to be doing here? Shouldn't that be left to someone like me?

Richard
Old 06-27-2009, 07:50 PM
alanrw

I think we are simultaneously talking about 2 separate issues here.

1. If the guy from the electric area was out of bounds and distracted the jet pilot causing the crash, it would seem the electric guy is 100% responsible for the replacement cost of the plane. Small claims court is a great and fair place just for this. File your claim for $25 and bring your witnesses.

2. Violating the 400' rule should lead to banning of the guilty parties. Simply put, it is a safety issue and an issue of the continued operation of the field.

It is terrible that the F-100 went in, but if it crashed and it was no one's fault, how would that jeopardize the future of the field? On any given weekend, fast and slow planes go into the weeds.

alan
Old 06-27-2009, 08:29 PM
submikester

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

I don't think the field will be closed and I don't think jerks like that guy are going away. The first thing that will happen is Jets will be banned because from an outsiders point of view that is the problem. Just look at the picture, a big fast jet crashed, that's all people will see and not wonder about the details like a guy flying a small electric toy plane. Next will be giant scale because anything big is easier to fly above 400 feet. Once you get rid of the big fast planes all you will have left are the electrics. I am surprised it hasn't happened already.

As far as the jerk in the picture goes...... If he really is intentionally flying to distract pilots with expensive planes than he is just a reincarnation of Lee and should be delt with. Now calling the authorities never seems to help and if anything just draws attention to the field. I wonder what would happen if someone just stomped his plane and transmitter ala Crazy Eric? Heck, even if he calls the police they never show up for a long time. Now I am not suggesting or condoning such behavior but I could understand if it happened out of frustration.

And Bill.... do you really have to post in a forum to get in touch with the Valley Flyers? Is stirring things up the best thing for an AP to be doing here? Shouldn't that be left to someone like me?

Richard
All good points - especially the last one.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

And Bill.... do you really have to post in a forum to get in touch with the Valley Flyers? Is stirring things up the best thing for an AP to be doing here?
Huh?? I wanted to touch base with any of the cubs at the Basin, not just the SVF. Not sure why that is an issue or stirring the pot. The contact info I have for clubs does not have phone numbers or email on them. Just the contact name and the mailing address of the club. How am I stirring the pot by trying to get in touch with a club representative????

Beyond that, it is clear that there are issues at the field. As was said the folks here are aware of them, but still it is worth pointing out that it is in everyone's best interest to try to rodeo in the problem pilots. Unfortunately the City has made that very difficult.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: submikester

Same question for you. How on Earth did my posts get construed as stirring the pot??
Old 06-27-2009, 10:52 PM
rare_bear

"Same question for you. How on Earth did my posts get construed as stirring the pot?? "

Reality is Subjective. At least that's what I think.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:09 AM
submikester

ORIGINAL: submikester

Same question for you. How on Earth did my posts get construed as stirring the pot??
Forgive my sarcasm - Please be sure to understand that anything posted on the internet is 'stirring the pot.'

I am joking and being serious at the same time. I do find it off that an official of the AMA for Socal seems unfamiliar with the Basin, maybe you're in San Diego or something but I have met very few people within 100 miles of LA who aren't aware of the crazy that is the basin.

Every single day that there is flying at the basin and electric is buzzing the pilot pads of the main runway. I do not mean to exaggerate - it just is the way it it. If an electric is not dive bombing you along the main runway then one or two of your buddies is ground looping a old timer with no tailwheel while you're trying to practice your flat eight maneuver.

THAT is the basin.

You mention that 'previous incident' which while tragic has some irony to it as well. As pilot number 1 from the pilot pads is distracted by pilot number 2's flying while pilot number 2 is standing in the 'kill zone' (after having been told on numerous occasions not to so I hear - yes rumor) and pilot number 1's airplane hits pilot number 2. It was tragic, I witnessed what happened before, turned to talk to George and heard the hit. I turned back toward the flight line and saw pilot number 2 going down and blood spurting from him. A lot of us responded all at the same time. Adam and a few others administered heroic first aid and I - after trying to call 911 multiple times and getting a busy signal called the park ranger instead and got through. It was quite a mess and the worst thing I have ever seen in modeling (almost 30 years now...).

The basin is crazy. I am surprised every time I go there that there is no governing club - there are many examples of clubs governing public fields throughout the US - I don't know why the Valley Flyers isn't governing the basin. I know there are logistical issues but I do think we could do it. I don't know what the AMA can do to help us - I've served on the board in the past and don't recall the AMA every being able to help us but I also don't recall asking.

I'm not on the board now and to be honest I'm not very involved (2 kids under 5, you know the drill).

Jason's your dude - I've known him a long time and I believe that if he can't do it - it can't be done.

I will say, since 2.4 Ghz came about - it has gotten better and worse. Many more airplanes in the air at the same time but still - no more incidents than before that I can tell. Maybe the basin is to modeling what 'terminal velocity' is to speed?
Old 06-28-2009, 02:18 AM
Silent-AV8R

Jason and I had a long chat last night and I got the info I was looking for.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.