Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 338 of 356 FirstFirst ... 238288328336337338339340348 ... LastLast
Results 8,426 to 8,450 of 8882

Thread: Sepulveda Basin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Sepulveda Basin

ORIGINAL: MikeRuth

Just in case you didn't read this link...http://www.valleyflyers.com/newslett.../download.html

The field is closed this weekend for cleanup.
    Only people going in are the ones working to clean up.

Mike R

I made an update to the newsletter which caused the link to change, this is the new link:

http://www.valleyflyers.com/newslett.../download.html

The San Fernando Valley R/C Club at Sepulveda Basin is great!  Every weekend, under the leadership of Tony, the club provides instructors and club trainers free of charge to anyone who is interested to fly.  My wife got free lessons from different instructors without being a club member. Many thanks to San Fernando Valley R/C club.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Update Saturday morning 3/26/2011

I arrived at 8:15am to find a heraty bunch of folks hard at work. I didn't take a head count but I'd say we had 30 or more working hard. Including my self. At the moment, it's 2:00pm and I am beat, my shoes and socks are solaked, my pants are covered in mud and I doubt I'll be standing up straight tomorrow.

With all the folks that put in some truly hard work out there a lot of cleanup has been acomplished. The runway is going to be patched and then top coated this coming week. Afterwards striping will follow.

Kudos to all those that hepled today.

Mike R

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ya, i got there around 7:30 and took one of tim's shovels to get started on the south end of the runway.
    heck, even my three dogs were there to help out - LOL
    too bad tim didn't let molly out of his car to play with my dogs - hehhehhehehehehe.

i worked until i got a blister.
    (didn't have any gloves)
    a bobcat rental would have been GREAT.

is the field open to any flying tomorrow after todays hard work?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys, Northridge Rental (which is now Sunbelt Rentals) has a 6' street sweeper with a 100 gallon tank. It rents for $270 per day according to their web site. Probably a delivery/pickup fee as well.

http://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipm...010&catid=s313

alan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The runway is going to be patched and then top coated this coming week. Afterwards striping will follow.

Mike R

Really? Is the club doing that profesionaly thru a vendor, or are they going to do it ghetto style? I sure hope they hire a company that does ashphalt profrssionaly to do the work.
    I don\'\'t allways drink Dos XX

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are some pictures I took this afternoon. It seems most of the mud is cleaned up. The runway is use but there are some pretty significant cracks in the pit area as well as the runway.

My own opinion is that the runway cracks should not impact it terribly. There is a serious couple of cracks in the pit area around where the taxiways converge. One near the upper end frequency pins is a cavern.

The heli area is still be worked on and when I spoke to Benny he said they were planning on more work tomorrow.

I don't know exactly what the plans are for fixing the cracks but something does need to be done at the very least in the pit area. Still - I think the ground needs to be allowed to dry prior to any real work being done. Any outlay of funds of that magnitude would probably need a board vote and the board meeting is in two weeks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh15657.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	1585048   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gb90163.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	1585049   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig12612.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	1585050   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ql34909.jpg 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	1585051   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zw69335.jpg 
Size:	196.4 KB 
ID:	1585052  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ql33223.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	231.1 KB 
ID:	1585053   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bz77701.jpg 
Size:	203.5 KB 
ID:	1585054   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Je10310.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	1585055   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig11342.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	361.9 KB 
ID:	1585056   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy77980.jpg 
Size:	286.9 KB 
ID:	1585057  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd91279.jpg 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	1585058   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ok29233.jpg 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	1585059  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

last two
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec88100.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	1585060   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cx75477.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	1585061  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

mike,

a few of the cracks out on the runwar are large enough to rip off some of the smaller landing gear... especially if the crack is running the length of the runway where it is of greater possibility for a tire to get wedged in and hence, sheared off.

as far as repaving, there's a tradeoff between how long to wait for dry-out and the sense of urgency. if it is better to wait for a long dry out period, then it might be good if a bunch of volunteers came out and filled the cracks with asphalt as a temporary band-aid???

at least we are out of the storm track for now:
    http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...2=-118.448&e=0

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Kriptonic69

The runway is going to be patched and then top coated this coming week. Afterwards striping will follow.

Mike R

Really? Is the club doing that profesionaly thru a vendor, or are they going to do it ghetto style? I sure hope they hire a company that does ashphalt profrssionaly to do the work.
    It will be done by an outside contractor.

Mike R

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Any work going to be done on the parking lot?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The parking lot had been worked on a bit by the city last week. I don't know what the plan is for it.

It's in much better shape than it was last Monday

Mike R

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the video Gregg. Glad to see the Gopher Problem has finaly been taken care of.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rare_bear

mike,

a few of the cracks out on the runwar are large enough to rip off some of the smaller landing gear... especially if the crack is running the length of the runway where it is of greater possibility for a tire to get wedged in and hence, sheared off.

as far as repaving, there's a tradeoff between how long to wait for dry-out and the sense of urgency. if it is better to wait for a long dry out period, then it might be good if a bunch of volunteers came out and filled the cracks with asphalt as a temporary band-aid???

at least we are out of the storm track for now:
    http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...2=-118.448&e=0
    I agree completely. I think that the cracks should receive some form of a band aid - I'm not a paving engineer of any kind so I could be totally off base on my assertions as well. I just don't want to see bad work done that ends up costing the club/foundation more down the road. I would rather see it done well once than badly multiple times.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

a good temporary patch might be to fill the cracks with the same stuff they use to fill in cracks like on the 405 freeway.

i'm not sure what the material is but perhaps a trip to home depot to get a few 5 gallon bucks of Henrys would be work experimeinting with. it's the kind of stuff that hardens up but applies like tar that i have used to seal up roof vent lines.

that would get us past the rainy season (end of april) at which time, say in june when it starts getting warm and the soil below the pavement begins to harden up once the underlying moisture gets sucked down a few feet.

a repavement now (or within the next month) just seem to early in my opinion because the soil under the pavement is definately saturated with water moisture and that does take a few months to get sucked down by diffusion (and gravity to a lesser extent)

these are my opinions, please print them out and offer them to the people in charge of repair.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's an email that was sent to Club members, and will give an idea of our plans.

Scott Ramos

Valley Flyers RC eNews
    Sunday, March 27, 2011

OUR FIELD HAS RE-OPENED, DESPITE ONGOING REPAIRS

Dealing with Runway Cracks, Mud-Caked Heli Circles Are Top Priorities
    It's been a busy and tiring past seven days for a dedicated group of Club members determined to get the field into re-opening condition. They succeeded with RC flights back in the skies over Apollo XI Field this afternoon. The runway, taxiways, heli pit area, bleachers, snack bar area and public walkways were all scraped, swept and washed today.

Lots of new photos from today (Sunday) are now posted at this link. Please note the condition of the helicopter circles:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/bob.tar...CleanupSunday#

I suggest using the SLIDESHOW feature on the thumbnail page. If you missed Saturday's photos, here again is the link to those:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/bob.tar...eanupSaturday#

With a more complete report on what's been accomplished since the heavy flooding of last weekend and what lies ahead, here's a report from Valley Flyers President Chuck Thompson:

"I wanted to update you on the progress with the field today. Based on a good turnout of volunteers over the weekend, we were able to reopen the field this afternoon. The amount of work that's been done in the past week is incredible. I don't yet have the names of everyone who has worked very hard over the last week, but I would like to thank everyone who stepped up to help!

We will probably have to close the field temporarily as runway repairs proceed. We should try to plan this and post it in advance, if possible.

The heli circles have only received a little attention and they are next on the list for cleanup this week. Dave and others will be out there this week after 1PM. Volunteers are still needed. Heli pilots are most welcome! A member is bringing a Bobcat tomorrow to help clear the heavy mud off the circles.

With the mud off the runway, it's easy to see that the cracks have worsened from the flood. We expect to have some estimates for repairs over the next few days. Depending on the amount of the estimates and funds we receive for donations, we should then decide how to proceed. We've already been promised about $2000 in donations towards the repairs, with the possibility of even larger donations from members and friends of the field.

It's still pretty wet out there, but it will start to dry out as the weather warms up later this week.

The cracks are bad enough to need immediate attention. We need to address this with a sense of urgency, while at the same time exploring as many options as possible to save money on the project. I think that we should shoot for first class repairs if we can raise enough money to afford it. I will email additional information about the repairs when we have it.

Best regards, Chuck"

As Chuck reported, the cost to get the facility back into top shape will be expensive. The quality and extent of the repairs will depend largely on the strength of the donations we receive. Donations can be made on a tax-exempt basis through the Valley Flyers Foundation (which is 501(C)3).
    Checks should be made out to:
    Valley Flyers Foundation
    PO Box 2055
    North Hills, CA 91393

Warm thanks from your Board of Directors!
    Valley Flyer newsletter editor Mike Lipsey has published a special edition on the flooding and its messy aftermath... complete with pictures from early in the week. The link is:

http://valleyflyers.com/newsletters/...l-edition.html

To sum up: We still need volunteers to help with the heli circles... starting at about 1PM tomorrow. The circles will be Bobcat cleared in late morning tomorrow, but there'll be a need for volunteers to sweep and wash those areas. The field has re-opened for flying, but be very aware of the runway cracks.
    -o-

INVITATION TO A COMFORTABLE FREE TOUR OF VAN NUYS AIRPORT

Board Member Mario Sweet has a great offer of interest to Valley Flyer members and their families. It's a bus tour of Van Nuys Airport, starting at 10AM on Sat Apr 16. Mario says the tour will include the fire station along with lots of other behind the scenes facilities at VNY the busiest general aviation airport in the world, and the 25th busiest airport (in terms of takeoffs and landings) in the world. Mario says you'll learn a lot of other fascinating facts about VNY to amaze your friends. The bus tour is free. It will be a "general aviation weekend" at the airport with some static displays including the B-17 and possibly a B-25. There were signups at the last Club meeting, but Mario needs to have a minimum commitment for this offering by the "Friends of Van Nuys Airport" to proceed. The maximum will be 33. Please contact Mario directly to get your name onto the list. Family members are welcome. E-mail Mario at mariojsweet@yahoo.com - or phone him at (818) 980-9641.

-o-
    CANYON CROSSWINDS HOLDING AN R/C SWAP MEET NEXT SATURDAY

Bob Awtry, treasurer of one of our sister clubs, the Canyon Cross Winds in Castaic would like you to know about their R/C Swap Meet & Fun Fly this coming Sat Apr 2 starting at 8AM and running "until sold out." You will find details on the Canyon Cross Winds website. And here's the link:
    http://canyoncrosswinds.com/

Cheers & Happy Landings,

Bob

Public Relations Director
    San Fernando Valley R/C Flyers
    Academy of Model Aeronautics - Charter Club #152
    www.valleyflyers.com
    e-mail: bob@tarlau.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How is the condition of the Feild? Would like to hear from people that have been flying past 2 days or so.

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's some videos I shot a few years ago at the "basin".

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FljzsFYcpYM&NR=1 Corey's F-104

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9rqzeTzvfc Billy's A-10

Ken.
    ~kensaeroden.com~
    Producer of model airplane calendars~\"Masters of SCALE R/C\" new for 2014

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow, awesome stuff Corey! Never knew you did the turbine thang!
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Talked to the club's field manager a few days ago briefly, asked him about the runway repairs, He said that they plan to resurface the runway, fill all the cracks in the runway and pits and remark the run way and taxi ways. Then i asked how much was it going to cost. He said "ooh i duno, rought 60 grand". I asked him was that the lowest estamate, he then said "ooh we didn't get any estamates yet".

Really, W.T.F. Over??????????????????

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What if any event are planned for the Basin June 18-19,, or the last 2 weeks in August that aren't up onthe AMA site yet??
    I'm thinking of coming out and if there was an event, I'd bring a plane that is apropriate If I have one,

Any Warbird, Giant Scale events or Quickies races on those date I guess is what I'm asking
    You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

What if any event are planned for the Basin June 18-19,, or the last 2 weeks in August that aren't up onthe AMA site yet??
    I'm thinking of coming out and if there was an event, I'd bring a plane that is apropriate If I have one,

Any Warbird, Giant Scale events or Quickies races on those date I guess is what I'm asking
    http://www.valleyflyers.com/events/2...-schedule.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Wow, awesome stuff Corey! Never knew you did the turbine thang!
    If it is scale...........
    It does NOT have to be GIANT to be scale!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Robin's hobby is putting some planes on clearance.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just got this .

A new FAA NOTAM/TFR has been issued for the greater Los Angeles, CA metropolitan area beginning at 2:15p on Thursday, 4/21, until 9:30a PDT on Friday, 4/22. The TFR is issued for security purposes to cover VIP movement in this area. Outdoor model aircraft operations are prohibited within the 30nm circles for the specific times listed below. Please note that TFRs are subject to change with very short notice. Check back often for the most current NOTAM/TFR information.

Timely alerts are also available on the web at: http://www.modelaircraft.org/members...bs/notams.aspx or on you cell phone at: Twitter.com/amagov.

See the link to the TFR below for more detailed information regarding the restrictions.

Area 1 (4/21, 2:15p – 4/22, 9:30a PDT)
    (30nm radius from Latitude: 34ΒΊ01’54”N, Longitude: 118ΒΊ24'49"W)
    Area 2 (4/21, 2:15p – 3:15p PDT)
    (8nm radius from Latitude: 33ΒΊ56’38”N, Longitude: 118ΒΊ24'29"W)
    Area 3 (4/21, 2:30p – 4/22, 9:00a PDT)
    (10nm radius from Latitude: 34ΒΊ01’54”N, Longitude: 118ΒΊ24'49"W)
    Area 4 (4/22, 8:30a – 9:30a PDT)
    (8nm radius from Latitude: 33ΒΊ56’38”N, Longitude: 118ΒΊ24'29"W)

Billy