Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sepulveda Basin

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 03:27 AM
Digital Pilot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No matter how you slice it, Its an sUAS and categorized that way by the FAA. This way they can control it all under one main umbrella. I remember about 6 or so years ago a bunch of us (Local Basin) guys attended a meeting at one of the AMA shows to discuss the differences between an RC Model and a Drone with the sUAS (FAA and AMA) committee. Apparently it did not stick....
Old 06-05-2019, 08:17 AM
F16Jeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by z06kal
Thanks for the update Jeff. Not sounding too good. No north end landing approaches would make it impossible to land anything with a high wing loading like a big jet or warbird. In low wind I suppose we could take off up wind and land down wind with a jet with brakes but boy that would get real sketchy adding another 10-15mph on an already fast approach. Further, the entire pattern would have to be flown much further south anyway. I can live with a 250ft altitude but not being able to fly the pattern corresponding to geometry of runway or land into the wind is a no go IMHO. If anything it will make operating the "SUAS's" much more dangerous for the pilots on the flight line. This whole situation is just so terrible...
You are welcome, just trying to keep folks informed as information is forthcoming. I do think landing south to north will test many pilots skills at the basin. I wonder if the runway did get extended, if the normal pattern would be available again? I think it is more about not flying over the golf course and people vs interfering with Van Nuys Airport. (Just my thoughts and opinion).

Jeff

Last edited by F16Jeff; 06-05-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:40 AM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Digital Pilot
No matter how you slice it, Its an sUAS and categorized that way by the FAA. This way they can control it all under one main umbrella. I remember about 6 or so years ago a bunch of us (Local Basin) guys attended a meeting at one of the AMA shows to discuss the differences between an RC Model and a Drone with the sUAS (FAA and AMA) committee. Apparently it did not stick....
Early on the FAA seemed to get it. As time moved on that distinction has been lost. I was at several of those meeting back when I was a District X AVP. Seemed very optimistic at the time.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:35 AM
Digital Pilot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FUTABA-RC
Early on the FAA seemed to get it. As time moved on that distinction has been lost. I was at several of those meeting back when I was a District X AVP. Seemed very optimistic at the time.
I truly believe that they got spooked (NOT SAYING ITS THE DRONE INDUSTRY'S FAULT) but it has grown faster than ANY other hobby and it heightened and highlighted this hobby for the FAA to freak out.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:29 AM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quoting Jeff:I understand it is law as well. Our jets are being blamed as well as the drones. Because the jets are fast, noisy, and use smoke.
The Valley Flyers are working with the park district to keep the field open. The latest update as of yesterday, is they are working to have at least a 250' max altitude. No landing approaches from the north past the end of the runway. No take offs headed north should the wind direction change. No flying over the golf course.

Some options being looked at:
1. Move the runway further south, of course this is expensive.
2. Field becomes organized under Valley Flyers
3. AMA is required for anyone flying there
4. The electric flying area north of the pits and runway would be closed

This information was provided at our local club meeting last night by a Valley Flyers member who is directly involved.
Hope we can get this resolved. - Jeff
*****************This is a very sad situation for users of the Basin. Smaller electrics such as I mostly use these days can get by flying a normal pattern from the main runway without going north of the runway. I never much liked the small electric runway, so I won't much miss that. But it will be a difficult situation for larger planes and turbines. Such planes might try taking off going south into the wind, and land downwind going north. I don't think the Valley Flyers club has enough money to build an entirely new runway further south from the present location. I would like to see the park restricted for use only by AMA members, but I am not sure how that can be accomplished. The Whittier Narrows field requires flyers to be AMA members, but there is a attendant at the gate there who checks incoming visitors to the park.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:59 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I fail to see how flying a few hundred yards south makes any difference
Old 06-15-2019, 11:37 AM
scale only 4 me

latest update,, valley flyers page,,

Update 6/13/19:

Letter from the FAA

to Jason Masfield-President of the Valley Flyers

Jason, thank you for talking with me.

We are diligently working on the Letter of Agreement (LOA) between you and VNY ATCT.

(Van Nuys Air Traffic Control Tower)

This is a process that traditionally can take as long as 6 months to complete. We are expediting your LOA and hope to have it completed soon.

Until an LOA is signed and in place, no person(s) have authorization to fly at that location. It is inside of Controlled Airspace, and according to the laws and regulations, an airspace authorization is required to operate an sUAS aircraft including RC Model Aircraft.

I hope this helps and I will keep you updated on the status of the LOA.

FAA
Old 06-20-2019, 02:23 PM
F16Jeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have just been told that Apollo XI field will open tomorrow.

Some important items to note:
1. Ceiling limit is 250 feet
2. Absolutely no smoke
3. Turbine aircraft are approved
4. No take offs or landings right to left. If wind is reversed then no flying

This news certainly made my day and I hope it does yours as well.

Cheers and happy flying!
Old 06-21-2019, 03:43 PM
scale only 4 me

Great news,, the landing restriction makes no sense to me,, but if that keeps it open,, OK
Old 06-21-2019, 10:42 PM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Great news,, the landing restriction makes no sense to me,, but if that keeps it open,, OK
It would appear the wind direction that brings the right to left pattern also brings the full size approach patterns closer to the basin. That's what I've read anyway.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:46 AM
[email protected]

As of today, the Valley Flyers website says "Update 6/20/19: As of Friday flying is allowed for a maximum altitude of 250 feet. " Don't know what other new rules might be in effect. Wow this is great news !!!
Old 06-22-2019, 01:32 PM
[email protected]

2019-06-22. I visited the field during the special event fun fly for Tony N. Tony N. himself was about the best source of information. My understanding of the new rules is as follows:1) Just as before, no one will require you to be a member of AMA or any local club in order to use the field. The word is that the Los Angeles Parks Department does not want to restrict use of the field to any group.2) Max altitude is 250 feet. Everyone intends to be very serious about compliance with this from now on.3) Planes must stay within the designated flying area. Planes can’t fly over the golf course or Woodley. Note that the designated flying area does allow pilots to fly to the south for quite a distance going towards Burbank Blvd. The approved flying area is posted at ….4) Club members (don’t know who in particular) will call local police about pilots who are flying too high or are not staying within the bounds.5) Undercover FAA representatives may drop by the field to check what is going on, or may drive down Woodley to assure that pilots are not flying over Woodley.6) A single incident or two can jeopardize the field.7) I don’t think that anyone from the club board has any sort of liability for the conduct of flyers.8) If the wind is from the north (reverse pattern for this field), and airplanes planning to land at Van Nuys are approaching from the south, this can be a particular problem.In my opinion, the Sepulveda Basin is one of the finest flying fields anywhere, considering the large open space surrounding the field, the nice big runway, and prevailing light winds that tend to blow pretty straight down the runway most of the time. Please take care of the field by carefully following this new set of rules. If because you fly a really big or fast plane you can’t stay within the boundaries, then you should downsize. Drones and other automated UAVs can really be a problem because many of them are able to fly out-of-sight (though this is prohibited by AMA and FAA rules). I just hope this field will continue into operation for long into the future, and won’t be shut down.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:23 AM
scale only 4 me

Full scale taking off or landing should be over the Golf Courses unless doing a short approach from the east which is very rare,, but can happen,,

I still don't see how restricting take off and landing from south to north is any different from the normal pattern, When you're flying the normal pattern you'll still in the same airspace,, Truth is most of the wandering out of the park boundary area and over the golf course comes from guys making ridiculously long approaches when landing north to south...

Anyway,,glad they were able to reach a compromise,, my fear was the city was just going to say it's not worth the hassle and shut it down,, they've never wanted to have to mange behavior out there,, The fact the "club" couldn't control people is kind what makes it great,, but created issues too of those rouge flyers that come and go..

good luck guys

Last edited by scale only 4 me; 06-23-2019 at 04:25 AM.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:27 AM
alanrw

test
Old 12-31-2019, 09:04 AM
CCFPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, It's working
Old 12-31-2019, 04:50 PM
alanrw

Originally Posted by [email protected]
2019-06-22. I visited the field during the special event fun fly for Tony N. Tony N. himself was about the best source of information. My understanding of the new rules is as follows:1) Just as before, no one will require you to be a member of AMA or any local club in order to use the field. The word is that the Los Angeles Parks Department does not want to restrict use of the field to any group.2) Max altitude is 250 feet. Everyone intends to be very serious about compliance with this from now on.3) Planes must stay within the designated flying area. Planes can’t fly over the golf course or Woodley. Note that the designated flying area does allow pilots to fly to the south for quite a distance going towards Burbank Blvd. The approved flying area is posted at ….4) Club members (don’t know who in particular) will call local police about pilots who are flying too high or are not staying within the bounds.5) Undercover FAA representatives may drop by the field to check what is going on, or may drive down Woodley to assure that pilots are not flying over Woodley.6) A single incident or two can jeopardize the field.7) I don’t think that anyone from the club board has any sort of liability for the conduct of flyers.8) If the wind is from the north (reverse pattern for this field), and airplanes planning to land at Van Nuys are approaching from the south, this can be a particular problem.In my opinion, the Sepulveda Basin is one of the finest flying fields anywhere, considering the large open space surrounding the field, the nice big runway, and prevailing light winds that tend to blow pretty straight down the runway most of the time. Please take care of the field by carefully following this new set of rules. If because you fly a really big or fast plane you can’t stay within the boundaries, then you should downsize. Drones and other automated UAVs can really be a problem because many of them are able to fly out-of-sight (though this is prohibited by AMA and FAA rules). I just hope this field will continue into operation for long into the future, and won’t be shut down.
The truth is for most of us flying average size aircraft, if you exceed the boundaries, you have probably lost visual sight of your aircraft. A couple of weeks ago, one guy made a very wide turn over the golf course with a turbine and planted it firmly into a very tall tree on the west side of the access road west of the river. It was not pretty.
Old 10-30-2021, 03:15 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any swap meets coming up at the Basin soon?
Old 02-22-2022, 06:48 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

..Yo, Tom... I'm going to start back flying at El Mirage in the Spring...
I'll keep you posted
Old 03-02-2022, 10:49 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by alanrw
The truth is for most of us flying average size aircraft, if you exceed the boundaries, you have probably lost visual sight of your aircraft. A couple of weeks ago, one guy made a very wide turn over the golf course with a turbine and planted it firmly into a very tall tree on the west side of the access road west of the river. It was not pretty.
30 years ago I used to live in the area. Job took me away with the downturn of the aerospace industry then. I used to remember the Long Beach signs posted in school yards prohibiting any type of model aircraft or car activities, even prohibiting skate boards, skates, bicycles, etc. even running. Then to add to the punchline, last text in the signs had, "Have Fun!"

I'd take a half a day's drive on a long weekend and go flying at a military base north, when things weren't so restrictive. A friend would fly his glow powered RC Playboy old timer in the national parks outside the area. (Now that is a no-go.)

I feel for you all there, CA seemed to have the most restrictive rules, and can imagine it hasn't gotten any better. It will just be a matter of time for all other areas, rural included go the same route. In a similar vein, Albuquerque balloon fiestas may become an event of the past, with the new much more restrictive airspace rules.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:50 AM
Stikum

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
In a similar vein, Albuquerque balloon fiestas may become an event of the past, with the new much more restrictive airspace rules.
If the emission controls don't ground them first!
Old 03-08-2022, 02:36 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Stikum
If the emission controls don't ground them first!
Don't know all the technical details, gathered that FAA is talking about GPS transponding navigational equipment and further airspace restrictions on balloonists, navigational lights on Santa's sled wasn't enough.
Old 03-28-2023, 01:02 PM
alanrw

Drove out to the basin last Saturday. Is the city still mowing the grass? It was terribly overgrown. Electric area runway is almost gone-covered by wild grass. Helicopter area circles are cracked with wild weeds almost 2' tall.

This is not a criticism, the last 3 years have been devastating for many. Many former institutions have taken it on the chin. Is there any movement towards getting our once beautiful basin back?
Old 04-30-2023, 06:09 AM
scale only 4 me

haha,, I went by there 4 years ago and the door was still missing off the toilet stall in the men's bathroom,,, that door came of in the floods of 1992

I wouldn't hold my breath for the City to do anything out there,,,, ever
Old 04-30-2023, 10:37 AM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

The long tall grass can save your plane in case it does not make the runway. , The tall grass is also training aide for the local fire department in case a jet starts a fire and when this occurs, no mowing needed.
Old 07-13-2023, 02:14 PM
saramos

It is also more amazing when you realize that virtually all the improvements are done by the Valley Flyers including all the pit tables, park flyer area, electric stations, shade structures and maintenance of the runway, the taxi ways and the pits while charging only $35 annually for membership. Plus all the facilities are enjoyed by the general public. The club is now working on getting the site registered as a FRIA, but the initial request was rejected by the FAA because of our proximity to the Van Nuys airport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.