Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sepulveda Basin

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 03:22 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hobby Shack, which later changed it's name to Hobby People, was my source of Powermaster fuels for 30 years. When I needed a gallon of FAI fuel I could go to my local Hobby People store and grab it off the shelf.

Now that Hobby People is out of business, the two hobby shops that are left within 20 miles of me that I am aware of, do not carry FAI fuel.

You guys who still fly glow engines at the basin, do you know of a source for FAI fuel? Smith Bros and Robin's Hobby do not carry it.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:39 PM
Kmot

Yeah, I may have to blend it myself. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2018, 12:14 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Holy smokes that is one heck of an image link!
Old 05-02-2018, 07:57 PM
robotfan
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad Veich
Holy smokes that is one heck of an image link!
LOL - That’s not a link Chad. That is an actual image that did not encode properly so the forum software posted the raw data instead of a picture. It used to happen all the time but it happens a lot less often these days. It still looks funny doesn’t it.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:41 PM
Kmot

I was wondering what the heck that was about!
Old 06-27-2018, 05:27 PM
Kmot

I was at the field Tuesday, and some guy had been doing laps with his engine powered high wing trainer style plane for at least 15 minutes that I am aware of (I taxied out, flew, taxied back all the while he was in the air) and then back in the pits I hear guys yelling, saying "hey where does he think he is going?" and so on. Turns out the old guy lost sight of his plane, and it motored over the golf course. He just started walking back to the pits like he gave up and guys started yelling at him, telling him where his plane was and then shouting "hey pull up now", "turn left a bit" "pull up" etc. I don't know if he ever figured out what the heck he was doing but the plane spiraled in onto the golf course. I sure hope it did not hit anyone. The old guy just left, didn't say a word to anyone...
Old 06-28-2018, 02:30 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Classic basin,,,, some things never change
Old 08-01-2018, 05:13 PM
Kmot

Does anyone fly in this miserable heat we have been having the past couple of months?
Old 08-06-2018, 07:51 PM
TinyTrains

I was there last Thursday morning (94 degrees) and there were only two other people flying. The 8-12 mph wind did not help either. I had to carry my tail-dragger plane back one time as I could not taxi it straight!
Scott
Old 08-10-2018, 12:57 PM
Kmot

94° in the morning! Probably got to 110° later in the day. I understand city workers have been out at the field the past couple of days doing maintenance on the facility. I feel sympathy for them working out in the sun on these hot days.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:18 PM
TinyTrains

Went out this morning and the weather was great. 80F, with a light breeze from the south. Hardly anyone there. Plus the Valley Flyers got the city to patch all the cracks!

Scott

Last edited by TinyTrains; 08-23-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:16 PM
TinyTrains

A little news for DJI drone drivers, the latest firmware update establishes geo-fencing around airport flight paths. It seems the Apollo 11 field is inside the fence for Van Nuys airport, and as a result, updated DJI drones will not fly there.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:18 PM
scale only 4 me

Didn't I see a post by crazy larry here yesterday?
Old 01-15-2019, 06:57 PM
clscale-Fred

I last flew there in 2003 in the CL circles and someone asked why there is no development at this location...that is because it's in a flood basin. the Basin and Whittier Narrows are the only CL flying sites in the LA area. Brings back good memories, everyone I flew with has either left the hobby or left LA.

Fred
Old 01-17-2019, 07:15 AM
scale only 4 me

Fred,, I first flew CL there when the circles were out close to Burbank Blvd.,,OMG that was 44 years ago
Old 01-17-2019, 09:56 AM
robotfan

Originally Posted by clscale-Fred
I last flew there in 2003 in the CL circles and someone asked why there is no development at this location...that is because it's in a flood basin. the Basin and Whittier Narrows are the only CL flying sites in the LA area. Brings back good memories, everyone I flew with has either left the hobby or left LA.

Fred

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Fred,, I first flew CL there when the circles were out close to Burbank Blvd.,,OMG that was 44 years ago
Fred and “scale only 4 me” do you guys still fly CL? There is lots of activity there, plenty of guys flying. In fact every month or so there is one new guy +/- and even better there are always old-timers coming back to the hobby. Can you guys PM me your names in case you don’t want to post them publicly? If you include your email addresses I will have you added to the local CL newsletter...

I will try to attach a copy of The Nag, the weekly newsletter and activity report. Hopefully you will recognize some names and come out to watch, chat, and fly. Casual CL Flying at Sepulveda Basin is most Sunday mornings, At Freedom Park (new 2nd site / Camarillo Airport) Flying is most Tuesday mornings, Flying at Whittier Narrows is most Friday mornings in order to avoid paying the $6 entrance fee.

Paul W.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
The Nag VCB 20190106.pdf (3.09 MB, 35 views)
Old 01-17-2019, 03:04 PM
clscale-Fred

I live in the St Louis area now so I haven't been there since 2003, I now get to fly at Buder Park. I started flying there in late 1989 when they were further south of the current site.

Fred Cronenwett
CL Scale Model Aviation Columnist
Old 01-22-2019, 07:46 AM
scale only 4 me

I've thought about getting another CL plane just for giggles,, but No,, I haven't flown CL since I bought my first radio in about 1976, Flew slope gliders until I got my first power plane in the mid 80's,, haven't flown gliders in years either.

have fun,,,
Old 05-28-2019, 08:26 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

Sure is quiet in here...
Old 05-29-2019, 10:24 AM
Mike360

Originally Posted by submikester
Sure is quiet in here...
Well I heard the field has been shutdown by the FAA. Too many complaints from airport of
excess altitude of the 400' limit and joggers, bicyclists being buzzed by drones.........
Old 05-29-2019, 12:43 PM
scale only 4 me

This is on the Valley Flyers web site

Federal legislation was enacted on May 24th that added controlled airspace over Apollo Field from zero to 400ft.

This applies to aircraft over 1/2 pound (8 oz)

Our clubs officials and AMA representatives are working diligently to resolve this situation within the near future.

Club members are advised not to fly at the field, until this situation is resolved.

To check alltitude restrictions in your area go here:
Not good
Old 05-29-2019, 02:04 PM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

So much wrong in their statement.

1) Controlled airspace is not new. It has existed for decades.
2) 8 ounces has nothing to do with flight rules. That refers to registration.
3) Zero altitude refers to the grid they are in.

This was exactly the kind of situation I have been worried about. This field has existed safely for decades. Now it's a problem. Although I have heard that they have been getting more complaints due to renegade types who feel the rules do not apply to them
Old 05-30-2019, 06:47 AM
F16Jeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

On May 25th the Valley Flyers hosted LA Jets at the Basin. Two FAA representatives showed up to the event to monitor and observe. They spoke at the pilots meeting and imposed a 250' ceiling on the event that day. They also had us shorten our approach and reign in the other borders that we are accustomed to flying. With all that, some didn't want to fly, but most flew and it was a great event. At the end, the FAA representatives were impressed and said they were advocates for us and will report back what they observed.

I hope this gets sorted out soon, it is a sad state of affairs that a few need to mess it up for the majority. This field has been there for approximately 65 years and never had an incident. Now that technology allows various types of aircraft, different ways to fly them, and it is easier for anyone to grab a controller and fly. This has placed this field in jeopardy of being lost forever.

The diehards will be resilient and do whatever is necessary to fly, even it if means driving several hours. Others will quit and sell their stuff. Then the few that don't care will just go to the local park, school, empty field, and continue to fly, harass, and do whatever they feel because it is about them and nobody else matters.

Just my 2 cents.

Jeff
Old 05-30-2019, 07:34 AM
robotfan

Originally Posted by F16Jeff
On May 25th the Valley Flyers hosted LA Jets at the Basin. Two FAA representatives showed up to the event to monitor and observe. They spoke at the pilots meeting and imposed a 250' ceiling on the event that day. They also had us shorten our approach and reign in the other borders that we are accustomed to flying.

With all that, some didn't want to fly, but most flew and it was a great event. At the end, the FAA representatives were impressed and said they were advocates for us and will report back what they observed.

I hope this gets sorted out soon, it is a sad state of affairs that a few need to mess it up for the majority. This field has been there for approximately 65 years and never had an incident. Now that technology allows various types of aircraft, different ways to fly them, and it is easier for anyone to grab a controller and fly. This has placed this field in jeopardy of being lost forever.

The diehards will be resilient and do whatever is necessary to fly, even it if means driving several hours. Others will quit and sell their stuff. Then the few that don't care will just go to the local park, school, empty field, and continue to fly, harass, and do whatever they feel because it is about them and nobody else matters.

Just my 2 cents.

Jeff
How do two random Government Cogs, excuse me “FAA Representatives” (you know, ‘we’re from the government - we’re here to help...’) show up and arbitrarily change the Federal Law from a 400-foot altitude ceiling, down to a 250-foot ceiling, with just a snap of their fingers?!?! And also make sideways changes to the edge-boundaries of the flying area? I would really like to know what tool / device / instrument they brought along to measure the altitude of the high-speed miniature aircraft they were observing. Did anyone see them measuring flight altitude? Did they verify those measurements? Did they even bring a device? Or try to measure? Or was it just an intimidation tactic...

another 2-cents

Paul
Old 05-30-2019, 08:02 AM
F16Jeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by robotfan

How do two random Government Cogs, excuse me “FAA Representatives” (you know, ‘we’re from the government - we’re here to help...’) show up and arbitrarily change the Federal Law from a 400-foot altitude ceiling, down to a 250-foot ceiling, with just a snap of their fingers?!?! And also make sideways changes to the edge-boundaries of the flying area? I would really like to know what tool / device / instrument they brought along to measure the altitude of the high-speed miniature aircraft they were observing. Did anyone see them measuring flight altitude? Did they verify those measurements? Did they even bring a device? Or try to measure? Or was it just an intimidation tactic...

another 2-cents

Paul
Paul,

They did not have any equipment as far as we know. For reference, the CD did have a drone fly up to 250'. The Fella's did have their FAA IDs with them and one was also a marshall or appeared to be. Since we try to accomodate and work with the local airports and authorities, we worked within their requests.

Now, were they actually there on official business or just there to intimidate, that is anyone's guess. I will say they did have many folks talking and pretty much running scared. Some did not even want to fly. By the end of the event, folks were saying the field is closing even though no one gave official word. The FAA reps even said the field was not closing. So fast forward to today, just in total shock to find out the gate is pad locked and sign saying the FAA closed the field.

After looking up the flying sites available for my jets, I am looking at driving nearly two hours each way

I am going to follow this and hope that a resolution that works for both sides is figured out.

Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.